Windows 10: Apply View Format to all Sub-folders

Discus and support Apply View Format to all Sub-folders in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm trying to set all of the sub-folders that roll up to a particular folder have Details as their View format. This used to be easy to do, just go... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MichaelNadler2, Jan 30, 2022.

1. Apply View Format to all Sub-folders

I'm trying to set all of the sub-folders that roll up to a particular folder have Details as their View format. This used to be easy to do, just go into View-Options, but now it seems like you can only cascade by file type, which is... less than useful.Is there a way I can still do this, without impacting folders outside of my target folder?

:)

MichaelNadler2, Jan 30, 2022
  2. Zardoc Win User

Libraries View set to a folder will not apply to all it's sub folders

So, as suggested by Brink, I started a new thread for this issue.

Brink you stated ''Just to note, that folders in a library share the same folder view as it was when last closed. This isn't the same as the folders in "This PC".

Yes, this is (supposed to be) true Apply View Format to all Sub-folders :).

Up to Windows 8.1 when you chose a view to folders in a specific library this view would apply to all sub folders of that library and stay if closed and re opened. This would work by individual library. *sarc

Apply View Format to all Sub-folders [​IMG]

So, I chose my view, closed the library, re opened and looked at a sub file. Here is the result.

Apply View Format to all Sub-folders [​IMG]

As you can see, the setting does not apply to the sub folders of that library. It will apply to all the main folders only. Each sub folder has to be set individually in view settings. This makes no sense and is really not practical. *Sad

Like I said, this is a step back from earlier versions of Windows. I've looked everywhere for a fix but I'm at a loss.

Thanks for your help.

Zardoc, Jan 30, 2022
  3. Berton Win User
    Libraries View set to a folder will not apply to all it's sub folders

I've always had better luck making those settings in C:\Users and my log-in name. Libraries appear to be merely shortcuts to the actual Folders.

Berton, Jan 30, 2022
  4. mhammer05 Win User

Apply View Format to all Sub-folders

View settings not applied to Library sub-folders

After upgrading to W10 1607, I've found the folder view settings applied to my libraries will not perpetuate down to the sub-folders at all. I already tried the suggestions from http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...l/c606a2a4-ab5b-4e26-97f4-50c059c9f0f6?auth=1
    with no effect. Currently, I'm having to manually change the column widths, locations, and sort by settings on each individual folder. Is there some way via the native View settings (or even modifying the registry) that I can get my desired settings applied
    to all folders within a library?

mhammer05, Jan 30, 2022
Thema:

Apply View Format to all Sub-folders

1. Apply View Format to all Sub-folders - Similar Threads - Apply View Format

2. Need help with W11 "apply to all sub-folders".

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need help with W11 "apply to all sub-folders".: This is a repost from a W10 post now I have the same problem with W11...Yes, I know, right click on a folder, select "Properties" then the "Customize" tab, then click "Always apply..." However, it never works. For example, I'll try to organize my music files so each folder...
  3. Need help with W11 "apply to all sub-folders".

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Need help with W11 "apply to all sub-folders".: This is a repost from a W10 post now I have the same problem with W11...Yes, I know, right click on a folder, select "Properties" then the "Customize" tab, then click "Always apply..." However, it never works. For example, I'll try to organize my music files so each folder...
  4. Apply View Format to all Sub-folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Apply View Format to all Sub-folders: I'm trying to set all of the sub-folders that roll up to a particular folder have Details as their View format. This used to be easy to do, just go into View-Options, but now it seems like you can only cascade by file type, which is... less than useful.Is there a way I can...
  5. Apply View Format to all Sub-folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Apply View Format to all Sub-folders: I'm trying to set all of the sub-folders that roll up to a particular folder have Details as their View format. This used to be easy to do, just go into View-Options, but now it seems like you can only cascade by file type, which is... less than useful.Is there a way I can...
  6. File Explorer How do I set view to apply to all folders and sub folders AND THEIR FILES?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer How do I set view to apply to all folders and sub folders AND THEIR FILES?: I would like to show the Comments column in the File Explorer view for all files not folders. Is this possible? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-how-do-i-set-view-to-apply-to-all/0e39a8e6-9f59-4066-89ab-a63f8ab51d99
  7. Windows 10 folder view options are applying to ALL folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 folder view options are applying to ALL folders: So it was my understanding that when you go into view options, and click "Apply to Folders" that it only applies to folders of a that type. For me, it seems to be a blanket setting. Am i misunderstanding how its supposed to function? I go into my videos folder and set...
  8. Apply Folder View settings to all folders Automatically ?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Apply Folder View settings to all folders Automatically ?: Apply Folder View settings to all folders Automatically ? Windows 10 ; Folder view I have set to view dimensions of images for easy reference. I want all windows I open to display this information also . I tried the Apply to All folders , button, in View Options menu....
  9. Libraries View set to a folder will not apply to all it's sub folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Libraries View set to a folder will not apply to all it's sub folders: So, as suggested by Brink, I started a new thread for this issue. Brink you stated ''Just to note, that folders in a library share the same folder view as it was when last closed. This isn't the same as the folders in "This PC". Yes, this is (supposed to be) true...
  10. Folder viewing formats

in Windows 10 Support
    Folder viewing formats: I have a problem/request/how to that is difficult to describe so perhaps explaining what I want to happen will be easier. I am a Retail Photo Lab owner and I have a system for allowing customers to remotely create a folder in a specific location within my Dropbox tree...