Windows 10: Applying custom Folder View settings to subfolders

Discus and support Applying custom Folder View settings to subfolders in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I've been reading up on applying Folder View settings to either All Folders or all folders of the same type, but neither of those is quite what I'm... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Ellis Dee, May 6, 2016.

1. Ellis Dee Win User

Applying custom Folder View settings to subfolders

I've been reading up on applying Folder View settings to either All Folders or all folders of the same type, but neither of those is quite what I'm looking for.

Specifically, I'd like to write my own utility that reads the folder view settings for any given folder (I assume from the registry), and give that view a name. Then I'd like my program to be able to apply any of my newly named views to any other folder. I particularly want to add an "Apply to Subfolders" feature to this utility.

I'm not looking to distribute this; just for my own personal OCD satisfaction, so I don't mind if it ends up being a kludgy solution.

To that end, I have only two questions, really:

Let's say I have a folder under my documents named "Test" with a bunch of random files of all types in it: Some pictures, some video, some audio, and a bunch of text files. Let's further say I customize the folder view settings for this one folder to be like old-school DOS: Details view showing FileName, Size, Type, Date Modified. Plus I set up the column widths to be "just so."

Windows remembers my settings for this one folder. If I can find them, and read/write them, I can realize my dream of managing my own folder views.

So question #1 is: Where are one-off custom folder view settings stored?

I believe Windows inexplicably holds two different view settings for any given folder under a special folder. For example, If I open "Documents" from the start menu and open the "Test" folder as described, I get the "special folders" version of the folder view settings. However, if I instead open "This PC", then navigate to \Users\Ellis\Documents\Test, I get an unrelated custom folder view for it. Both versions appear to be stored and remembered, meaning I need to set both if I want this utility to have the full effect.

Question #2 is then: Where are the separate custom settings for special folder vs literal path stored?

:)

Ellis Dee, May 6, 2016
  2. Vizal Win User

Apply library's view settings to subfolders

Hi,

I'm using Windows 10 Pro 14393.321 and unlike Windows 7, library's view do not apply to subfolders anymore...

I have it set so: group by: modification date; sort by: type; view type: large icons.

However, the subfolders follow only the view for which the specific library was originally optimized for.

The option to apply folder's settings to subfolders in folder options is greyed out.

Please, tell me how do I apply my library's view settings to subfolders.

And please NO sfc /scannow reply. It's useless and never helps.

Thanks in advance.

Vizal, May 6, 2016
  3. Windows 10 Change default on file view

Sorry but following the steps that you describe applied to the documents folder did not appear to change the views from details to list in any subfolders which were already set to 'Detail'.

Nor did this change of default view appear with addition of New folder or a subfolder of New folder.

CarletonGarrett, May 6, 2016
  4. Ellis Dee Win User

Initial research:

Folder View Settings - Back Up and Restore in Windows offers a BAT file for backing up and restoring your folder settings. The backup portion of this BAT file saves the following registry entries:
    Code: HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\BagMRU HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\Bags HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\BagMRU HKCU\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\BagMRU HKCU\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags[/quote] From looking at my own registry, the list of individual custom folder views appears to be in:
    HKCU\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags

BagMRU is a nice unique search term, which uncovers Explaining the Bags/BagMRU registry tree (trying), which in turn links to the following utility:

ShellBagsView v1.16

That doesn't appear to have been updated for Windows 10, but 10 seems to use the same setup as Windows 7. Running it on my machine, I do indeed get a list of all my individual folder settings.

Clearly this is possible. I just need to sit down and fiddle with it.

Ellis Dee, May 7, 2016
Thema:

1. Applying custom Folder View settings to subfolders - Similar Threads - Applying custom Folder

2. Customize folder view does not apply to subfolders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Customize folder view does not apply to subfolders: When using Windows Explorer, I want all my folders to be viewed as Documents. i.e Name, file size, last updated, etc.I do have some music sub-folders, but I don't like the Music view. Name track number, title, etc.So I go to the parent folder, right click for the context...
  3. Customize folder view does not apply to subfolders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Customize folder view does not apply to subfolders: When using Windows Explorer, I want all my folders to be viewed as Documents. i.e Name, file size, last updated, etc.I do have some music sub-folders, but I don't like the Music view. Name track number, title, etc.So I go to the parent folder, right click for the context...
  4. How to set custom folder view for 1 folder

in Windows 10 Support
    How to set custom folder view for 1 folder: Okay so here's a stupid problem to have. I'm on Windows 10 Pro. I have the folder view for all my folders to be "Large icons." But I have one folder where I want "Medium icons" view. And I set it on Medium view, but then every few hours or days it goes back to Large icons....
  5. customize folder view

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    customize folder view: There are 5 templates for kinds of folders. Can this be changed or added to? For example, can I add/subtract columns to the Music template and keep that template to be applied to other folders containing music files....
  6. Apply Folder View settings to all folders Automatically ?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Apply Folder View settings to all folders Automatically ?: Apply Folder View settings to all folders Automatically ? Windows 10 ; Folder view I have set to view dimensions of images for easy reference. I want all windows I open to display this information also . I tried the Apply to All folders , button, in View Options menu....
  7. How to apply view settings of library to subfolders?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to apply view settings of library to subfolders?: On windows 1809, with sfc.scannow giving no error, I run Reset_Folder_View_Settings_of_All_Folders_to_Default(1).bat in order to reset everything then I run All_Folders_Use_Documents_Folder_Template(1).bat in order to make all folder views as document then I create my custom...
  8. apply list view to only all subfolders

in Windows 10 Customization
    apply list view to only all subfolders: How do I apply a view, specifically the "list" view, to only all of the subfolders of a folder without changing each one individually. 36806
  9. Libraries View set to a folder will not apply to all it's sub folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Libraries View set to a folder will not apply to all it's sub folders: So, as suggested by Brink, I started a new thread for this issue. Brink you stated ''Just to note, that folders in a library share the same folder view as it was when last closed. This isn't the same as the folders in "This PC". Yes, this is (supposed to be) true...
  10. Customize Many (Not All) Folders' View Settings

in Windows 10 Support
    Customize Many (Not All) Folders' View Settings: Hi, I have many folders that I want to set a specific custom setting for. I have about 100 folders (well, specifically, saved search files within File Explorer, that I want to open showing the results as View > Details, and only the details on top of Name & Date Modified....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Bags/BagMRU registry tree windows 10