Windows 10: Applying metadata to files on external drives is very slow

Discus and support Applying metadata to files on external drives is very slow in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have two external drives connected to my ACER laptop : 1) a USB 3.0 connected 4 TB LaCie, NTFS formatted 2) a network connected 5 TB Seagate... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by PhilRob68, Jun 11, 2019.

1. PhilRob68 Win User

Applying metadata to files on external drives is very slow

I have two external drives connected to my ACER laptop :

1) a USB 3.0 connected 4 TB LaCie, NTFS formatted

2) a network connected 5 TB Seagate Personal Cloud, NTFS formatted

I use Windows Explorer, right-click any multimedia file (.mp3, .mp4, .avi, .wmv....), select Properties > Details tab and fill-out some of the metadata : Rating, Title, Comments, Tags, Genre, Directors, Composers, Conductors...

Applying metadata to files on external drives is very slow 449bad38-0b1d-4bb7-abe4-1d69eff5d491?upload=true.jpg

On either external drive, after clicking the Ok button, it takes several minutes to complete and for the dialog boxes to close.

The time it takes is vaguely a linear function of the file size :

Multimedia file size Time to perform "Applying properties"
    0,76 GB 2 min 40"
    1,6 GB 6 min 20"
    3,1 GB 11 min 50"

In Event Viewer > System, I did not find any recent entry at the moment I performed the operation.

On my internal SATA disk, I can edit the metadata properties of the same file instantly.

Thank you ,

Philip

:)

PhilRob68, Jun 11, 2019
  2. Remon Ont Win User

External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Jun 11, 2019
  3. Cannot copy files from external drive

Hi,

Thank you for replying back to us.

1. Did you try to create a new user account and try to copy the files from your external drive to your computer?
    2. What is the location that you are trying to past the file? For example, are you pasting the files from your external drive to your Desktop, Documents, or somewhere else?
    3. Are you able to copy the same files from the external drive to the some other PC?
    4. Are the files write protected on your external drive?

Meanwhile, try the below troubleshooting steps.

Step 1: Go to the destination folder on your computer, where you are trying to copy the files from your external drive. Let’s create a
    New Folder on your desktop.

Step 2: Double click on New Folder from your desktop and
    Right Click on some blank space and click on Properties
    and go to General tab.

Step 3: Under Attributes, completely uncheck the
    Read-only option. (The box should be blank, check it again if it has a checkmark or a small square inside it).

Step 3: Click on Apply and
    OK

Step 4: Now, open one of the files on your external drive and do the same, i.e.,
    Right Click on a file (NOT THE FOLDER) >
    Properties
    > General and under Attributes, uncheck
    Read-only option.

Step 5: Click on Apply and
    OK

Now, see if you are able to copy this file from your external drive to your computer.

Hope it helps.

Shafeeq_Khan, Jun 11, 2019
  4. 1Kurgan1 Win User

Music Metadata grabber

Been working on sorting movies/tv shows/music and looking for something thats free and grabs metadata for my music files. I could do it all manually, but having something that helps would be nice. Anyone got a suggestion?

1Kurgan1, Jun 11, 2019
Thema:

1. Applying metadata to files on external drives is very slow - Similar Threads - Applying metadata files

2. External Hard Drive Got very Slow after a crash

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Hard Drive Got very Slow after a crash: Hello, I have a Toshiba hard disk of 2 tb. I had a crash of my laptop which caused a bad remuval of the disk and make it to not been seen anymore from the pc. I managed to recover some files whit external software, and then I quick formatted the disk to make it work again....
  3. External hard drive slowing down pc and very slow downloads.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External hard drive slowing down pc and very slow downloads.: I had an external hard drive that worked great until suddenly whenever it was plugged in my Pc would run very slow and I could not download anything on the external hard drive, so I threw it out and got a new one, but I am having the same problem on the new one. Help me!!!!!...
  4. External hard drive slowing down pc and very slow downloads.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External hard drive slowing down pc and very slow downloads.: I had an external hard drive that worked great until suddenly whenever it was plugged in my Pc would run very slow and I could not download anything on the external hard drive, so I threw it out and got a new one, but I am having the same problem on the new one. Help me!!!!!...
  5. Very, Very, Very, Slow Boot Up When External Hard Drives Are Attached

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Very, Very, Very, Slow Boot Up When External Hard Drives Are Attached: Lately, my computer will not boot up when my external hard drives are attached. And sometimes even when they are not, I can't boot up without turning the computer on and off until I go to create a restore point. This shouldn't happen and I am wondering if it is the Windows...
  6. Very, Very, Very, Slow Boot Up When External Hard Drives Are Attached

Very, Very, Very, Slow Boot Up When External Hard Drives Are Attached: Lately, my computer will not boot up when my external hard drives are attached. And sometimes even when they are not, I can't boot up without turning the computer on and off until I go to create a restore point. This shouldn't happen and I am wondering if it is the Windows...
  7. External Drive thumbnails loading very slow

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    External Drive thumbnails loading very slow: So I have an external drive connected to my main Alienware Laptop via either usb, I do a lot of photo editing and processing but I've found the biggest time waster for me is whenever I browse through my thumbnail files on any of my external drives, they take such a long time...
  8. External Drive thumbnails loading very slow

External Drive thumbnails loading very slow: So I have an external drive connected to my main Alienware Laptop via either usb, I do a lot of photo editing and processing but I've found the biggest time waster for me is whenever I browse through my thumbnail files on any of my external drives, they take such a long time...
  9. External very slow to copy files onto it

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External very slow to copy files onto it: I normally copy a folder full of files (9GB) off my Windows 10 pc onto 2 External Drives as backup Do it weekly and never had a problem. I copied the folder to one of the extenals today and it took 7 minutes Started to copy them to the second External straight afterwards and...
  10. Applying metadata to files on USB drives is very slow

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Applying metadata to files on USB drives is very slow: I have two USB drives connected to my ACER laptop : 1) a USB 3.0 connected 4 TB LaCie, NTFS formatted 2) a network connected 5 TB Seagate Personal Cloud, NTFS formatted I use Windows Explorer, right-click any multimedia file (.mp3, .mp4, .avi, .wmv....), select Properties...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. applying meta data on external drive files