Windows 10: Applying metadata to files on USB drives is very slow

Discus and support Applying metadata to files on USB drives is very slow in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have two USB drives connected to my ACER laptop : 1) a USB 3.0 connected 4 TB LaCie, NTFS formatted 2) a network connected 5 TB Seagate Personal... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by PhilRob68, Jun 11, 2019.

1. PhilRob68 Win User

Applying metadata to files on USB drives is very slow

I have two USB drives connected to my ACER laptop :

1) a USB 3.0 connected 4 TB LaCie, NTFS formatted

2) a network connected 5 TB Seagate Personal Cloud, NTFS formatted

I use Windows Explorer, right-click any multimedia file (.mp3, .mp4, .avi, .wmv....), select Properties > Details tab and fill-out some of the metadata : Rating, Title, Comments, Tags, Genre, Directors, Composers, Conductors...

Applying metadata to files on USB drives is very slow 449bad38-0b1d-4bb7-abe4-1d69eff5d491?upload=true.jpg

On either USB drive, after clicking the Ok button, it takes several minutes to complete and for the dialog boxes to close.

The time it takes is vaguely a linear function of the file size :

Multimedia file size Time to perform "Applying properties"
    0,76 GB 2 min 40"
    1,6 GB 6 min 20"
    3,1 GB 11 min 50"

In Event Viewer > System, I did not find any recent entry at the moment I performed the operation.

On my internal SATA disk, I can edit the metadata properties of the same file instantly.

Thank you ,

Philip

:)

PhilRob68, Jun 11, 2019
  2. 1Kurgan1 Win User

Music Metadata grabber

Been working on sorting movies/tv shows/music and looking for something thats free and grabs metadata for my music files. I could do it all manually, but having something that helps would be nice. Anyone got a suggestion?

1Kurgan1, Jun 11, 2019
  3. File transfers slowing down, W10

Looks to me like background file system/metadata housekeeping is causing the slow down since your moving files in the thousands. Remember hard disk drives are terrible at small random file copies plus the added file system meta data maintenance/updating going on in the background as the files are moved.

biffzinker, Jun 11, 2019
  4. Applying metadata to files on USB drives is very slow

Edit metadata autocomplete list for pictures/music files

It seems like the list is generated from existing tags or other metadata. So, if you're getting 'junk' suggestions, it's likely that some other file has that 'junk' data. So you need to locate those files with bad metadata & delete/edit it to 'good' information.

Keith

Keith A. Miller, Jun 11, 2019
Thema:

Applying metadata to files on USB drives is very slow

1. Applying metadata to files on USB drives is very slow - Similar Threads - Applying metadata files

2. usb transfer is very slow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    usb transfer is very slow: File transfer from my Dell Precision to a the USB is fast, then it slow dramatically down and stops after 10 seconds. I have updated the drive and it is working property.Dell has not been helpfull becuase it is just out of the warrentee....
  3. usb transfer is very slow

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    usb transfer is very slow: File transfer from my Dell Precision to a the USB is fast, then it slow dramatically down and stops after 10 seconds. I have updated the drive and it is working property.Dell has not been helpfull becuase it is just out of the warrentee....
  4. Hard drive very slow

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hard drive very slow: I recently got a new HDD. It was a replacement for my old 500GB seagate momentus thin. but the problem is, with the new Toshiba 1TB HDD I got, The speeds are very slow. I use a website that compares pc parts and it says the new HDD is...
  5. PC is very slow transferring files to USB drive, but copying FROM the drive is fine - why?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    PC is very slow transferring files to USB drive, but copying FROM the drive is fine - why?: Hi, I've just built a new PC and I'd like to move files between the PC and an external SSD Sandisk Extreme Portable 1TB. I'm able to copy files from the SSD to the PC without any problem. The transfer speed is around 300MB/s using a USB 3.2 port.I can also copy individual...
  6. USB Drive read/write 100%... very slow write

USB Drive read/write 100%... very slow write: I have a 6TB (mains-powered) external Seagate USB3 drive (used only for data backup) which might be failing? Or is there another reason the problem? An identical Seagate drive seems to perform fine (though I haven't done extensive side-by-side testing). When I start copying...
  7. Slow USB Drive File Transfer

Slow USB Drive File Transfer: Hello All Some reason both my most used systems having slow usb drive file transfer, Desktop & Laptop, Desktop is brand new motherboard, processor, and not yet a clean install ((soon will do one soon as i can)), but right now just wanna improve usb drive performance if i...
  8. Applying metadata to files on external drives is very slow

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Applying metadata to files on external drives is very slow: I have two external drives connected to my ACER laptop : 1) a USB 3.0 connected 4 TB LaCie, NTFS formatted 2) a network connected 5 TB Seagate Personal Cloud, NTFS formatted I use Windows Explorer, right-click any multimedia file (.mp3, .mp4, .avi, .wmv....), select...
  9. Very slow boot, no usb

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Very slow boot, no usb: I just upgraded my i7, 8GB ram laptop to Windows 10 and really need help. Booting up, shutting down, and restarting are extremely slow. This laptop previously had Windows 7 and booted up much faster. I've looked at the startup folder and it is empty. I'm ready to give up and...
  10. Copying to USB Very Slow

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Copying to USB Very Slow: A few times a week I backup my data files to my extended hdd and my USB. Seems it take forever to copy to the USB. Very short time to copy to Extended hdd. I've tried deleting to old backup first so there will be no need to replace and files. That doesn't seem to be...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. nu vot