Windows 10: Apprehensive about Anniversary Update

Discus and support Apprehensive about Anniversary Update in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Yep, I'm apprehensive about the Anniversary for my main desktop, a Windows Pro system, with C & D SSD's and E-H as rotating disks. I've upgraded my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by websquad, Oct 13, 2016.

1. websquad Win User

Apprehensive about Anniversary Update

Yep, I'm apprehensive about the Anniversary for my main desktop, a Windows Pro system, with C & D SSD's and E-H as rotating disks. I've upgraded my backup desktop and laptop (both are Windows Home) with Anniversary with not hitches; however, I really need to take a lot of care with the main desktop, since it is my go-to machine.

I've elected to delay to Anniversary installation using the "Defer Upgrades" setting, but I don't know how long that will protect me.

Another issue are my two graphics cards: both are nVidia, and I had a nVidia compatibility problem on my backup machine; however, that has been resolved (apparently) and I was able to load Win10 Home with no hitches, and able to upgrade to Anniversary, again, with no hitches.

So, what about my Win 10 Pro machine with the two SSD's -- how long should I wait?

:)

websquad, Oct 13, 2016

2. Adobe Flash update freezes login screen upon reboot

Anyone having login stalling upon reboot of an Adobe Flash update that comes immediately after Win 10 Anniversary update? I updated to Anniversary Update, rebooted a couple of times fine and then saw an Adobe Flash update saying needs restart to finish
    installing. I rebooted and got stalled at the login screen with the 'thinking' circular stars. Rebooted multiple attempts unsuccessfully. Restored to previous 'Restore Pt' (right after Anniversary Update) which worked...except it showed the Adobe Flash update
    as being successfully installed. At this point I've disabled 'Updates', apprehensive that it might install Adobe again.

DaddyBebop, Oct 13, 2016
  3. Andy601 Win User
    WLAN Service stops under WIndows 10

I have the same problem with WLAN Autoconfig stopping. Have installed all the latest updates with no solution. It seems I need to doa fresh install but am apprehensive about how to do this. Can anyone please help?

Andy601, Oct 13, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hello, the best thing to do to give you a second chance, allowing you to recover your PC to a previously saved state, is to create a complete disk image. We strongly recommend this time and time again.

Using disk imaging will let you try the upgrade- and if sthg goes really wrong (noting build 1607 has received some very significant updates to try to solve some reported problems) you can use your Macrium Reflect boot disk or flash drive, boot from that, and recover your PC from your disk image and be back where you were.

Some people even manage to switch off their PCs or run out of battery power during longer updates.... with a disk image you can still recover.

Creating disk images lets you restore Windows and all your disks and partitions to a previous working state, quickly and probably without technical help.

You can recover from:
    - a failed disk drive (restore to a new one)
    - ransomware (which encrypts your disk)
    - user error
    - unrecoverable problems from failed updates to problem programs
    - unbootable PC (hardware faults aside)

Images also act as a full backup- you can extract files too.

You can even use images to help you move more easily and quickly to a new PC.

Imaging can even help you sleep at night knowing you have a second chance.

Many here recommend Macrium Reflect (free) as a good robust solution and more reliable than some others. It’s
    - more feature rich
    - more flexible
    - more reliable
    than Windows Backup and Restore system images.

It's well supported with videos, help and a responsive forum.

There are other such programs, free/commercial, some with simpler interfaces, but Macrium R is one of the most robust and reliable.

How long does it take?
    SSD+ USB3 - maybe 15 mins for the first system image, less thereafter
    HDD + USB2 - maybe 40-50 mins
    That’s with little personal data, few programs installed.
    - of course, depends how much you have on C:
    (You can and should image all your partitions and disks)

Once you've created your first image, keep it updated with e.g. differential imaging- which images just changes from the first image, more quickly, and creates a smaller image file.

dalchina, Oct 13, 2016
Thema:

1. Apprehensive about Anniversary Update - Similar Threads - Apprehensive Anniversary Update

2. Anniversary Update?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Anniversary Update?: How do I upgrade from Win10 Home to the Anniversary ver? I am currently at the 2004 ver, I understand Anniversary was released in 2006. Do all subsequent updates carry the anniversary update and its features? If not, how would I go about upgrading to it? Thank you. 157468
  3. Anniversary Update woes

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Anniversary Update woes: Hi. I recently rolled back my desktop from the anniversary update because I was noticing problems with start times (slower), my wifi (poor connection) and bluetooth (connection problems with no audio). After trying to reinstall my drivers which had no success, I decided to...
  4. Anniversary Update Number?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Anniversary Update Number?: What is the KBxxxxxx number for the Anniversary Update? I want to uninstall it because it's causing me a lot problems. Don Cole 92379
  5. Anniversary Update Report

Anniversary Update Report: I've been delaying updating my desktop PCs to the Anniversary Update (AU) due to previous reports on the forum of missing drives or drives appearing in RAW format. I haven't noticed any recent reports of this issue so I went ahead and upgraded my father's PC two days ago....
  6. Anniversary Update Problem

Anniversary Update Problem: I downloaded and installed the iso referenced in Dona Sarkar's announcement memo Win_10_1607_English_X64.iso dated 8/2/16. My winver shows 1607 build 14393.0. I expected it to be 14393.10. Anyone know what's up? The machine is an original upgrade from Win 8.1. I also have a...
  7. Why no anniversary update?

Why no anniversary update?: My desktop computers are running Windows 10 Pro version 1511 OS Build 10586.545 I don't appear to get the anniversay update. Is there a reason for this? (I have a year old laptop with Windows 10 Home and that did get the anniversary update.) 74147
  8. Anniversary Update

in Windows 10 Support
    Anniversary Update: How can I tell if I have received the "Anniversary Update"? 60115
  9. anniversary update, accept or not

anniversary update, accept or not: I know it will eventually be installed no matter what I do but it appears it is loaded with errors from what I read on this site and others. Can it be delayed at all. Upgraded from 7 to 10 last December. 59811
  10. Anniversary Update issues

in Windows 10 Support
    Anniversary Update issues: I updated to the Anni version today and I am not 100% impressed with it. Firstly, I couldn't access the menu using left click but using the right click was ok, Secondly, I find that I am unable to open a .pdf in Adobe reader DC for some strange reason? I tried downloading...