Windows 10: Apps and files still saving to c: despite all settings having d: as the default and...

Discus and support Apps and files still saving to c: despite all settings having d: as the default and... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; SO, I have a 120gb ssd as my c: and a 1tb hdd as my d:. As I only wanted the c: to be for the main games I play, I set the default storage locations as... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by FaceMeetFist78, Jan 30, 2020.

1. Apps and files still saving to c: despite all settings having d: as the default and...

SO, I have a 120gb ssd as my c: and a 1tb hdd as my d:. As I only wanted the c: to be for the main games I play, I set the default storage locations as d:. I did not pay attention, but everything continued to save to the c: anyway. I have changed the default location in the registry as well, but all new programs still try to save to the c: and tell me to free up space before they will be able to be installed. I have created the program file and program file 86 folder on the d: but to no avail. I also do not have the option to move any of the programs between drives. The only programs that prompt the move option have move grayed out. What am I missing here? Thanks for your help!

:)

FaceMeetFist78, Jan 30, 2020

2. app default setting by file type

Hi Richard,

We understand that you're having issues with the default file app association on your computer. To assist you with your concern, you may refer to the steps below on how to change the default setting of your application:

• In Search Windows textbox, search for choose a default app for each type of file and set .PDF and any other file extensions to point to your choice for default
      programs. Do not use Adobe Reader to set the association.
    • Navigate to %systemroot%\system32 and locate the OEMDefaultAssociations.xml file. Make a backup of it just in case.
    • Open the OEMDefaultAssociations.xml file and keep it open using
      Notepad.exe.
    • Open PowerShell or CMD and run it as Administrator.
    • Enter the following: Dism /Online /Export-DefaultAppAssociations:C:\AppAssoc.xml
    • Open C:\AppAssoc.xml with Notepad.exe
    • Copy the entire contents of AppAssoc.xml and replace the entire content of OEMDefaultAssociations.xml.
    • Save OEMDefaultAssociations.xml.
    • Delete C:\AppAssoc.xml (optional).

After doing the steps, you may now change the default file app association for opening .pdf.

Do update us with the outcome and if you need further assistance.

Regards.

Stephanie Sal, Jan 30, 2020
  3. Jerry8A Win User
    Recent (Save Files) - Change Default Settings to OneDrive

Hello -
    Thanks for the return. Before I undertake changing the Registry, I have a question.
    The steps in my Registry, for my version of Windows 10, were a bit different, but I think I eventually got to the right spot.
    The last step is to change the number of places you want to list in Recent Places. In my case, the default Max Display listed 50 as the number. So, if I were to change that number, how do I know the Save As page will be one of those places? Or, a similar question, will this registry change delete the tab Recent from my Save As page? This is what I would like to happen.
    When I received my computer in Nov. 2016, the Recent tab was not listed in the Save As page. Something caused it to be added over time. Which brings me to this second question. Would there be any benefit in deleting the changed registry listing and reverting back to the default listing? See attachment.
    Jerry

Jerry8A, Jan 30, 2020
  4. Apps and files still saving to c: despite all settings having d: as the default and...

Win10: set 'view' default in file explorer

Hi Dennis,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

As I understand that you are trying to set file explorer as default. We will help you to resolve the issue.

I suggest you to follow the below steps how to set file explorer as default and check if it helps.

1. In the search box type as “settings”.

2. Go to “system” and click on “default apps”.

3.Then click on “set default apps by”.

4. Select “File Explorer from the list” and click on “choose defaults for this program”.

5. Then check the box “select all” and click on “save.

6. Then click on “ok”.

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Jan 30, 2020
Thema:

Apps and files still saving to c: despite all settings having d: as the default and...

1. Apps and files still saving to c: despite all settings having d: as the default and... - Similar Threads - Apps files still

2. OneDrive is uninstalled. Default Save Location set to drive C. Still saving to OneDrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive is uninstalled. Default Save Location set to drive C. Still saving to OneDrive: How do I stop Windows 11 from saving to OneDrive. I have completely uninstalled it. The Default Save Location in settings is set to drive C, yet it still saves everything to the OneDrive folder. This is absolutely ridiculous....
  3. OneDrive is uninstalled. Default Save Location set to drive C. Still saving to OneDrive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OneDrive is uninstalled. Default Save Location set to drive C. Still saving to OneDrive: How do I stop Windows 11 from saving to OneDrive. I have completely uninstalled it. The Default Save Location in settings is set to drive C, yet it still saves everything to the OneDrive folder. This is absolutely ridiculous....
  4. Set D:\ as File Explorer Default

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Set D:\ as File Explorer Default: PC / Windows 10 - C:\ is operating systemD:\ partition is my file systemAttempting to set File Explorer default so it always shows D:\ files;Presently, Windows offers only "Quick Access" or whatever it's called or "My PC" default settings typical limited MS thinking and there...
  5. Set D:\ as File Explorer Default

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Set D:\ as File Explorer Default: PC / Windows 10 - C:\ is operating systemD:\ partition is my file systemAttempting to set File Explorer default so it always shows D:\ files;Presently, Windows offers only "Quick Access" or whatever it's called or "My PC" default settings typical limited MS thinking and there...
  6. Set D:\ as File Explorer Default

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Setting Drive D as Default save area for Apps

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Setting Drive D as Default save area for Apps: need help with selecting default drives to store appson the storage tab in the main settings , there is an option to change where new content is saved. the default is Disk C for me, however there is not enough space to save a game called Ark from the new Xbox App Store. in...
  8. I have all of my save defaults set to my D Drive, but everything still saves to C Drive.

in Windows 10 Customization
    I have all of my save defaults set to my D Drive, but everything still saves to C Drive.: This is really annoying and quite honestly angering that there is a setting for this that just does nothing. Would really appreciate some help....
  9. Can't set D drive as default save location

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't set D drive as default save location: I'm trying to set my D drive as my default for installing apps but keep getting an error 0x80073d0e [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-set-d-drive-as-default-save-location/6b331c2f-20ea-4237-8e4e-788bc4157660
  10. Settings not saving for all programs installed on D:

in Windows 10 Support
    Settings not saving for all programs installed on D:: So recently my Windows 10 install crashed so I had to do a clean install on my SSD. (C: Drive) Normally I install my programs on the HDD (D: Drive). I cleaned out all the old programs along with the reinstall of Windows 10 so both drives are now clean, but now any program...