Windows 10: apps can't connect to the internet but the browser is working fine

Discus and support apps can't connect to the internet but the browser is working fine in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; apps like discord, steam, egs etc. won't connect to the internet (or sometimes work as if my connection was extremely slow) but my browser (firefox) is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/EBClucher, Jan 1, 2021.

1. apps can't connect to the internet but the browser is working fine

apps like discord, steam, egs etc. won't connect to the internet (or sometimes work as if my connection was extremely slow) but my browser (firefox) is working fine and the connection speed is the usual.

I tried resetting my router, doing a network reset and changing my dns to the google ones but nothing worked

submitted by /u/EBClucher
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/EBClucher, Jan 1, 2021
  2. quaductas Win User

Ping works fine, but no Internet connection in browser

Without having changed any settings, I can't access the Internet anymore through my laptop running Windows 10. Every browser tells me the connection has timed out. I can connect to the router and other devices on the network are not affected. Windows tells me that I am "connected to the Internet" but apparently, that's no help. It doesn't seem to work through other WiFi networks or ethernet either.

ping google.com works fine and surfing by IP address does not help.
    I tried restarting the computer, restarting the router, resetting IP configuration with no avail. I couldn't find a problem in the network settings either. I tried about anything suggested on this website.
    I hope someone of you has any idea as to what could resolve the issue. Thanks.

Update

So it turns out I can access google websites such as google.com or youtube, but nothing else. I tried some of the suggestions I found online, but nothing worked. Ideas?

quaductas, Jan 1, 2021
  3. Modern apps not connecting to internet, desktop apps work fine.

Hi,

As the post title suggests, I am having trouble with the modern apps and connectivity. It feels like half my computer will connect to the internet, and the other half won't. Desktop apps like Chrome, Steam, Outlook, iTunes etc. all connect to the internet fine, but any of the Windows apps like Xbox, Store and (most frustratingly) Settings will not connect.

In my network and sharing centre in the control panel it says 'You are not connected to any networks' - but in the system tray, and in the settings app it shows me as connected to my home wi-fi. I am on a desktop, and using a USB wireless adapter. I don't think the adapter is the problem as I have tried it on another desktop in our house on Windows 10 and it worked fine. Curiously also, when I click 'Adapter settings' in the control panel, it shows the wifi connection.

I've tried updating the drivers for the wireless adapter, both through the Windows update and adapter website but to no avail (and as I mentioned, it seems the adapter works fine elsewhere). I've updated manually to the latest Windows 10 Pro build, i've done a DNS flush, I've tried disabling firewalls and anti-virus, I've tried disabling startup apps, I've done a clean install of Windows 10 and still am unable to fix the issue.

If anyone has any ideas that might help that would be great. I'm happy to provide any more information if people need it.

Thanks very much.

robby12315, Jan 1, 2021
  4. apps can't connect to the internet but the browser is working fine

Browsers report no internet while ping works and windows reports connection

On my Windows 10 laptop from the browser (Chrome, Firefox, Waterfox, Edge) trying to access internet sites reports that it can't connect after a while, but ping works. Accessing local servers is fine. Accessing sites through an explicit local proxy in Waterfox also works.

After a reboot the browsers work for a bit, but then fail.

putty telnet seems to work fine.

I've already tried steps from:

Ping works fine, but no Internet connection in browser

I've done a wireshark and it shows that TCP connections are getting reset (RST packets from the machine as far as I can tell).

The machine has Sophos Anti-virus installed. MS Office also, but not much else.

EDIT:
    I have now tried:

• Disabled the firewall - the problem still occurs.
    • Tried Opera browser as well
    • Tried wget from powershell - also reports the connection being reset, at the same time that the browsers are not working
    • Tried Privoxy - also not working when browsers direct aren't working.
    • Removed Sophos entirely in case that was causing the problem.
    • Done a malware scan with Sophos Virus Removal Tool, which found nothing.
    • Updated the wireless driver for the built-in wireless adapter.
    • Tried a USB wireless driver.
    • Tried a wired connection, which seemed to work, but maybe we didn't leave it long enough.
    • Flushing the caches of Chrome, which appeared to work for a while.

Any ideas for how to get browsing working reliably?

Douglas Leeder, Jan 1, 2021
Thema:

apps can't connect to the internet but the browser is working fine

1. apps can't connect to the internet but the browser is working fine - Similar Threads - apps can't connect

2. All Microsoft apps say no internet connection despite internet working fine.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    All Microsoft apps say no internet connection despite internet working fine.: Just to start I was able to fix this issue for about a month by creating an entire new user on my computer. The new user had no issues connecting and signing into any Microsoft apps.I use Teams, Outlook and OneDrive for work and none of them connect. I've also tried Power...
  3. All Microsoft apps say no internet connection despite internet working fine.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    All Microsoft apps say no internet connection despite internet working fine.: Just to start I was able to fix this issue for about a month by creating an entire new user on my computer. The new user had no issues connecting and signing into any Microsoft apps.I use Teams, Outlook and OneDrive for work and none of them connect. I've also tried Power...
  4. Showing no connection but internet is working fine

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Showing no connection but internet is working fine: Hi, we are using Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.19043.1202] and we are facing issue "Showing no connection but internet is working fine" Outlook and Teams are not working .We had check the registry setting...
  5. System tray says no Internet access, apps don't work, browser works fine

System tray says no Internet access, apps don't work, browser works fine: This is a bit frustrating. For some reason, my PC lists connections to Wi-Fi as 'no Internet access'. However, I'm able to use browsers Chrome, Edge without problems. I can't use any apps which require Internet access though; Spotify for Desktop says I have no network...
  6. INTERNET IS CONNECTED AND WORKS FINE BUT IT SHOWS NO INTERNET ACCESS

INTERNET IS CONNECTED AND WORKS FINE BUT IT SHOWS NO INTERNET ACCESS: Hello, Good Day! My WiFi works fine .When I connect my WiFi it to laptop , it gets connected but it shows no internet access . But internet works. I can browse google, play games and watch videos in youtube and stream netflix in my laptop. Network icon shows no internet....
  7. Programs not connected to the Internet, but browsers work fine

Programs not connected to the Internet, but browsers work fine: Hello, for some reason my programs are not able to connect to the Internet. My Spotify says it is Offline, my Steam says it has no connection, as well as my other programs. I am currently using Chrome, but my Microsoft Edge also works perfectly fine. I do not have an...
  8. Windows shows "no internet" and most apps can't connect, but my browser works fine

Windows shows "no internet" and most apps can't connect, but my browser works fine: I've been having this problem for a little over a week now: Whenever I connect to wifi, the icon on the Windows taskbar shows "No internet, secured," and the icon appears that it's not connected. However, I can still browse the internet on my browser when "connected" this way...
  9. Can't sign into the microsoft store app - works fine in browser.

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Can't sign into the microsoft store app - works fine in browser.: I'm having trouble signing into the Microsoft store. Initially I was trying to set up my Xbox app but when signing in I keep getting the following error: "A specified logon session does note exist. It may already have been terminated" I tried reinstalling the Microsoft...
  10. Modern apps not connecting to internet, desktop apps work fine.

Modern apps not connecting to internet, desktop apps work fine.: Hi, As the post title suggests, I am having trouble with the modern apps and connectivity. It feels like half my computer will connect to the internet, and the other half won't. Desktop apps like Chrome, Steam, Outlook, iTunes etc. all connect to the internet fine, but any...