Windows 10: Apps closing and screen flickering on new PC build and clean windows install

Discus and support Apps closing and screen flickering on new PC build and clean windows install in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello everyone, I don't usually post to forums but I am at my wits end with this problem and have searched everything I can find, but have had no... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Erickson656, May 4, 2020.

1. Apps closing and screen flickering on new PC build and clean windows install

Hello everyone,

I don't usually post to forums but I am at my wits end with this problem and have searched everything I can find, but have had no luck in finding a solution. I recently was having issues with my desktop computer having apps randomly crash, strange network issues where the page would load and then immediately crash back to an 'unable to load page' error, as well as usb devices occasionally losing connection for very short intervals.

I tried several things to solve these issues, and eventually did a BIOS update to the mobo x470, see below, but after that windows was unable to boot or reinstall on that machine, the BIOS was unable to be flashed back to the previous version.

I ultimately gave up on reviving the old system and decided it was time for some upgrades and a clean windows install, so I have built a new system and have purchased a new windows key since my old one was education edition from school. My specs are as follows:

Old System I don't think this is needed, but its strange that I was having similar issues prior to the new build...:

• Ryzen 7 2700x
    • ASUS Prime x470-pro
    • GSkill FlareX DDR4 2x8 Gb at 3200GHz
    • WD Blue 1TB HDD
    • Nvidia GTX 1070
    • Corsair 750W PSU

New System:

• Ryzen 7 2700x
    • ASUS Prime x570-p Mobo
    • GSkill FlareX DDR4 2x8 Gb at 3200GHz at first I reused this RAM
    • Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8 Gb @ 3000MHz I later swapped out to this RAM
    • PNY CS6900 SSD 120GB for OS install
    • WD Blue 2 TB HDD
    • Nvidia GTX 1070
    • Corsair 750W PSU

The only shared hardware between the builds as of now are the CPU, GPU and PSU. note that the GSkill RAM was used at first but was later swapped for new ones.

With this new build I was able to install windows 10 from the boot USB although the installer had to run in safe mode otherwise it would crash.... Once I was able to get to the desktop, I went about upgrading all of the drivers for my USB network adapter, graphics card, chipset using armoury crate and performing the OS updates to version 1909 via windows update. I also upgraded the BIOS on the mobo to its latest version. Throughout this upgrade process I experienced many instances of installers randomly closing themselves and frequent occurrences of the screen flickering to black several times over the course of a few seconds. Additionally, explorer.exe would crash and would have to be restarted via task manager.

The driver updates seemed to have helped slightly, but the system is still not stable enough to install anything other than the base software. Now when I boot up and open pretty much any program, it will close within a matter of seconds it rarely lasts as long as a minute or two. I also get a recurring notification about windows defender virus and threat detection being stopped and needing to be reset, but upon resetting it, it will stop on its own minutes later. I have thought that the problem was related to the RAM due to the closing apps, so I ran several memory tests using the windows memory tool on my boot usb as well as using memtest on the GSkill RAM I was using and everything was coming back as fine. I additionally customized the virtual memory settings to use larger amount than the defaults using the 1.5xRAM for initial size and 3xRAM for maximum size. I later decided to swap the RAM out for the Corsair models listed above and had the same issues, even with one stick at a time and when using different slots on the Mobo, and I am now in the process of memory testing these units as well but no problems have been detected as of 4 passes. I have also tried to using the recommended overclock setting on the RAM as specified by the RAM manufacturer but the same issues would occur.

My other thought was that this could be virus related due to the windows defender being turned off, however when I researched that problem it seemed to be a pretty common occurrence. Just in case I attempted to do several scans using windows defender, Dr Web, and MalwareBytes but the programs crash too quickly to perform a full scan. I then created a bootable USB with the windows defender scanner on it and did a scan at boot, which didn't turn up anything. My gut tells me there is something else at play, as I don't understand how I could have a virus on a build utilizing brand new hard drives, but I have been wrong many times before...

One final strange thing is that if I boot off from the brand new windows USB official microsoft USB and select the 64bit installer to try and get into the windows startup repair or command line options the system will always crash with a 'critical process failed' error, and will only run if I specify the USB drive to open in safe mode. This makes me think that it has to be either a driver issue or a failing piece of hardware, but I have upgraded most of the hardware and am using the most recent drivers for everything.

I would greatly appreciate any thoughts or suggestions that you all may have, as this issue is distracting me from getting anything else done...

Thanks in advance!

:)

Erickson656, May 4, 2020

2. Flickering screen at startup, crashes, and BSOD after instaling new GPU

I did a clean install of windows 7 and i forgot to install Direct X its probably that, and i did a DDU and installed the latest drivers. But the black flickering screen doesnt go away after starting windows, i dont have any problems with the old GPU with the flickering screen and also on my friends PC the new GPU worked just fine no crashes or black screen.

nootshack1312, May 4, 2020
  3. CK011885 Win User
    Installing Windows 10 on New PC?

I'm going to be building a new PC on Christmas and want to install Windows 10 on it. I have Windows 10 on my current PC, which I installed upgrading from 8.1 with the files on a USB. How do I go about installing a clean copy of Windows 10 on this new PC? I think I recall something about installing it once makes Microsoft recognize your hardware, but since this will be a PC I'm not sure what steps I need to take. Do I need to go 8.1 -> 10 or is there a method of going directly to 10?

CK011885, May 4, 2020
  4. r.h.p Win User

Apps closing and screen flickering on new PC build and clean windows install

Installing Windows 10 on New PC?

What's your intended PC specs ??

r.h.p, May 4, 2020
Thema:

Apps closing and screen flickering on new PC build and clean windows install

1. Apps closing and screen flickering on new PC build and clean windows install - Similar Threads - Apps closing screen

2. Blue screens and crashes preventing Windows 10 clean install on new build

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Blue screens and crashes preventing Windows 10 clean install on new build: Good day.I'm trying to install Windows 10 Pro 64bit on a new PC build with the following hardware:Motherboard: Gigabyte A320M-S2H BIOS version F52RAM: Crucial CT8G4DFRA32A 8GB DDR4CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100GPU: R9 280xDrive: Intenso 512GB SATA 3 SSDI'm using a legit Windows 10...
  3. Blue screens and crashes preventing Windows 10 clean install on new build

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Blue screens and crashes preventing Windows 10 clean install on new build: Good day.I'm trying to install Windows 10 Pro 64bit on a new PC build with the following hardware:Motherboard: Gigabyte A320M-S2H BIOS version F52RAM: Crucial CT8G4DFRA32A 8GB DDR4CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100GPU: R9 280xDrive: Intenso 512GB SATA 3 SSDI'm using a legit Windows 10...
  4. Apps randomly opening and closing, screen flickering

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Apps randomly opening and closing, screen flickering: My computer seems possessed. Apps will open, then close in random succession. There is a glowing halo bottom center of the screen above the task bar. It appears to be primarily opening the search tool but will also open random files. When the apps are opening and closing the...
  5. Apps randomly opening and closing, screen flickering

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Apps randomly opening and closing, screen flickering: My computer seems possessed. Apps will open, then close in random succession. There is a glowing halo bottom center of the screen above the task bar. It appears to be primarily opening the search tool but will also open random files. When the apps are opening and closing the...
  6. Display flickering on new pc build

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Display flickering on new pc build: I recently purchased all the necessary parts to build my new pc and when i went to start installing the bios, drivers etc. I noticed that the display turned on and off i wouldn't consider it flickering because it was inconsistent and it turned off for a couple of seconds at a...
  7. Screen flickers when I close Windows Photos app

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Screen flickers when I close Windows Photos app: Hi,My screen sometimes flicker when I close the Photos app. Sometimes when the app is open or loading, the screen flickers too. I am using Windows 10 Home....
  8. Windows 10 fails clean install on new build

Windows 10 fails clean install on new build: I am working on building a new gaming PC, and am trying to install a copy of windows 10 using the USB tool. After creating a partition and unpacking files, the installer goes to reset. While in the "getting devices ready" stage, it is routinely failing install, and giving...
  9. Screen flickers & then explorer closes

Screen flickers & then explorer closes: On a Dell Vostro 3550 laptop, there were a few issues with Windows 7, so I erased the drive, did a fresh install of Windows 7 Pro, downloaded and installed all of the drivers from Dell. Then did a Windows 10 upgrade. When Windows 10 would first boot, it kept giving a 0x...
  10. New Build PC - Clean Install Windows 10 on unactivated PC

New Build PC - Clean Install Windows 10 on unactivated PC: I am building a new PC from scratch and I have a Retail DVD of Windows 8.1 Pro that is currently not installed on anything. I had bought this DVD right after 8.1 came out, and installed it on another PC that had Windows 7 previously, but then reverted back to Windows 7. So...