Windows 10: Apps confused between username and username.computername

Discus and support Apps confused between username and username.computername in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Version 10.0.19041 I originally installed Windows 10 as user username. At some stage, probably with a non-destructive repair, I was changed to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by macnab, Dec 28, 2020.

1. macnab Win User

Apps confused between username and username.computername

Version 10.0.19041

I originally installed Windows 10 as user username. At some stage, probably with a non-destructive repair, I was changed to username.computername.

Most of the time this is not a problem, but occasionally apps decide to install to username and the there are problems when the app is running under username.computername and wants access to AppData under username.

If I delete Users\username Windows creates it again.

I can't uninstall the apps because the uninstall info is in username.

I can't access the registry under username.

Is there any way I can delete username and prevent Windows from creating it again?

:)

macnab, Dec 28, 2020

2. Log in with username@computername instead of computername\username

Hi all

On a small network that does not have a domain controller, a Windows 10 pro workstation is sharing a folder over the network.

We used to be able to connect to this network share with username@computername instead of computername\username (e.g. shareuser@pc20 instead of pc20\shareuser).

After this Windows 10 Pro workstation updated to 1903, we cannot connect using the username@computername method
    but can connect using the computername\username method.

Does anyone know if there is a reason for this?

Is there a way to re-enable this way of connecting to the share?

TIA

AlvinGounder, Dec 28, 2020
  3. Tryx3 Win User
    MS Info Username

I do not know where you are looking but in several places Windows displays usernames as ComputerName\UserName

Your ComputerName is BobcatGames so, if your UserName is Gaming PC, your UserName might well be displayed in some places as
    BobcatGames\Gaming PC.

You can check your UserName in any Command prompt or Windows PowerShell window by entering the command net user.

This will show a list of all user accounts [both the one you created & the ones that the system created during installation].

Denis

Tryx3, Dec 28, 2020
  4. Apps confused between username and username.computername

Thanks for replying Andre, I appreciate the assist.

Could you please confirm that I should do this on the Win10 pro workstation that hosts the share?

Or should I perform this command on the other Win10 workstations that access the share?

(I have just edited the original post to clarify that the share is accessible using the old login method of computername\username.

AlvinGounder, Dec 28, 2020
Thema:

Apps confused between username and username.computername

1. Apps confused between username and username.computername - Similar Threads - Apps confused between

2. Username

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Username: Hello! I've Windows 11 Professional with local account because I want to see my username. Up until this day I was seeing my Username and was very happy about it, but today windows decided to show my full name instead. I have not changed anything or installed anything new. So...
  3. Username

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Username: Hello! I've Windows 11 Professional with local account because I want to see my username. Up until this day I was seeing my Username and was very happy about it, but today windows decided to show my full name instead. I have not changed anything or installed anything new. So...
  4. Username

in Windows 10 Customization
    Username: When I Installed Windows 10 I Accidentally Spelled My Name Wrong So It's Says C://josep How Do I Change It Joseph ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/username/a0abc628-a609-44a8-8ec3-1c31aae1b8b2
  5. <Username - DESKTOP-V1U814> and <username>

in Windows 10 Gaming
    <Username - DESKTOP-V1U814> and <username>: Hello,I had after an update 17.06 only access to a temporary account. After trying several solutions now everything is gone in this account not an big issue - nothing saved on desktop and apps. I can install new. But now when crreating a new profile to delete the faulty old...
  6. <Username - DESKTOP-V1U814> and <username>

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    <Username - DESKTOP-V1U814> and <username>: Hello,I had after an update 17.06 only access to a temporary account. After trying several solutions now everything is gone in this account not an big issue - nothing saved on desktop and apps. I can install new. But now when crreating a new profile to delete the faulty old...
  7. <Username - DESKTOP-V1U814> and <username>

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Username

in Windows 10 Customization
    Username: Hello, how i can change my username? Photo: https://imgur.com/a/ZJZxJxW https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/username/1051e03a-baa9-4f20-91de-673d5959628e
  9. Username

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Username: My username for my account is Kirsty Couldrey but for some reason my Laptop is dispalying my username as kirst in my folders ETC. How do i change it. I do not wish for my name to be shortened especially not to kirst!!!...
  10. Log in with username@computername instead of computername\username

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Log in with username@computername instead of computername\username: Hi all On a small network that does not have a domain controller, a Windows 10 pro workstation is sharing a folder over the network. We used to be able to connect to this network share with username@computername instead of computername\username (e.g. shareuser@pc20 instead...