Windows 10: Apps & Features (Settings) is no replacement for Programs & Features (Control Panel) in...

Discus and support Apps & Features (Settings) is no replacement for Programs & Features (Control Panel) in... in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; When Microsoft announced that it would replace the entire Control Panel with the Settings app in Windows 10, no one thought that it would take the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Sep 30, 2020.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Apps & Features (Settings) is no replacement for Programs & Features (Control Panel) in...

When Microsoft announced that it would replace the entire Control Panel with the Settings app in Windows 10, no one thought that it would take the company longer than five years to achieve that goal.

Microsoft migrated some Control Panel applets to the Settings application when it released feature updates for Windows 10, but the death blow never happened. The Control Panel is still there, even in Windows 10 version 2004 and the upcoming Windows 10 20H2.

Recent Insider builds of Windows 10 saw two applets being redirected to the Settings app. The first was the System applet that redirects to the System part of the Settings application now. More recent is the redirection of Programs & Features, the go-to section of the Control Panel when it comes to the uninstallation of software programs and the installation of Windows features.

Users who run the latest Insider builds will notice that the Apps & Features section is now opened when the Programs & Features section of the Control Panel is launched.

Apps & Features (Settings) is no replacement for Programs & Features (Control Panel) in... windows-programs-features-control-panel.png

New is not always better, and in this particular case, some may criticize the migration as it goes hand in hand with a loss of usability.

When you compare Programs & Features with the Apps & Features section of the Settings application, you will notice differences immediately.

Apps & Features (Settings) is no replacement for Programs & Features (Control Panel) in... windows-10-apps-move.png

The Control Panel applet displays the installed programs in a compact format in a table. Each row displays the program name, publisher, installation date, size (if provided), and version by default. An option to add more data columns, e.g. "readme", which points to the readme file of the application, is available.

A click on a column header sorts the data accordingly, e.g. by installation date or size. The Apps & Features section of the Settings application lists programs, the installation size and installation date as well, but not in a table but in a list.

The design uses a lot of spacing and that reduces the number of programs and apps that are listed on the screen on a single page. Sorting options are provided, but a menu at the top needs to be used for that. You need to scroll all the way up to change the sorting, while the headers are always visible under Programs & Features. The Settings app provides no option to display more data, even if it is provided by the developer of the program.

The only feature that is exclusive to the Settings application is the ability to filter by drive; this allows you to display only apps and programs installed on the selected drive. The option to "move" apps is provided, but it works only for a small selection of them.

Apps & Features limits the display of data, and its design makes it harder to work with. It is possible that most users did not use the extra data columns option, but those who did, will surely miss that option once the system is updated to a newer version of Windows 10.

Users who want to retain the options may want to check out third-party program uninstallers, e.g. Revo Uninstaller or Geek Uninstaller as these provide an interface that is similar to the Programs & Features interface.

Now You: how do you uninstall software? What is your take on the redirection?

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Apps & Features (Settings) is no replacement for Programs & Features (Control Panel) in Windows 10 appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Sep 30, 2020
  2. BossDweeb Win User

Windows 10 programs not listed in control panel

Your Windows Control Panel has no Programs and Features ? Or is there a Programs and Features, but Steam, etc. are not listed ?

Or are you calling the Start Menu > All Apps section the Control Panel ?

This is traditionally where all programs get uninstalled or repaired from,when an option is available. Many programs can still get uninstalled or repaired using a tool in the programs install folder.

- The main Control Panel window is only shortcuts to open those programs or Windows tools.

- With Win10 they are in the process of slowly migrating all Control Panel functions to Settings.

Installed programs are listed in... Settings > Apps > App and Features,

and this is where most people go when dealing with their software. I still prefer the more compact layout of Programs and Features though.

BossDweeb, Sep 30, 2020
  3. Ar Rom Win User
    Missing Programs and Features in the START LIST windows 10

Hi Robert,

Replacing the motherboard may have triggered your settings to go back to default causing the Programs and Features to be removed from the Start menu list. You can put it back by following these steps:

1. Click Start and search for Control Panel.

3. Click Programs.

4. Right-click on Program and Features.

5. Choose Pin to Start.

Feel free to post back if you need further assistance.

Ar Rom, Sep 30, 2020
  4. Specdrum Win User

Apps & Features (Settings) is no replacement for Programs & Features (Control Panel) in...

Disable Settings-app and only use Control Panel features.

Hello,

I was wondering if there is any possible way to disable/remove the "Settings" app-feature from Windows, and only rely on the Control-Panel features?

I have tried looking for the app-package in elevated PS, but to no avail - I could not find a package with a similar name.

I have searched the web, but I have only found examples of restricting access to both the "Settings"-app and the Control Panel.

If one can not disable/remove the "Settings"-app, is there a way to force Windows in to perfering the Control Panel features?

I'm using Windows 10 v. 1607 (build 14393.1198)

Best regards,

Morten

Specdrum, Sep 30, 2020
Thema:

1. Apps & Features (Settings) is no replacement for Programs & Features (Control Panel) in... - Similar Threads - Apps Features Settings

2. Control Panel > Programs and Features wierd color

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Control Panel > Programs and Features wierd color: I am not sure what happend to my Programs and Features... But its hard to see Program names https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/control-panel-programs-and-features-wierd-color/04b073bf-1ef8-4049-947f-d918cda0d577
  3. Control Panel > Programs and Features wierd color

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Control Panel > Programs and Features wierd color: I am not sure what happend to my Programs and Features... But its hard to see Program names https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/control-panel-programs-and-features-wierd-color/04b073bf-1ef8-4049-947f-d918cda0d577
  4. Control Panel > Programs and Features wierd color

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. control panel>apps&features>uninstall

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    control panel>apps&features>uninstall: A web site "Taste of Home, recipe finder" appears in my apps and features and does not uninstall. When uninstall is selected a message appears "wait until current uninstall is completed". I began trying to uninstall this app/site two weeks and nothing but that same message...
  6. minecraft is not showing in control panel\program and features

in Windows 10 Gaming
    minecraft is not showing in control panel\program and features: minecraft is not showing in control panel\program and features in both administrator and standard account i ask this question in another thread, but didnt get any response. therefore i am asking again, Win10 standard account did not ask for administrator password My...
  7. minecraft is not showing in control panel\program and features

in Windows 10 Support
    minecraft is not showing in control panel\program and features: minecraft is not showing in control panel\program and features in both administrator and standard account i ask this question in another thread, but didnt get any response. therefore i am asking again, Win10 standard account did not ask for administrator password My...
  8. Control Panel|Programs|Programs and Features -- no Repair Option

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Control Panel|Programs|Programs and Features -- no Repair Option: At the top of the list, is says, "click uninistall, change, or repair". But, there is no "repair". Only uninstall and change. I don't see it either on right click menu. Help, how can this be? 1 Billion people must see this menu. How can it have this error in it? What...
  9. Programs & Features Control Panel

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Programs & Features Control Panel: There are more than 20 entries labeled Visual C++. Do I need them all? Which ones can I safely delete?. I have tried unsuccessfully to include a screenshot here....
  10. Program Uninstall in Control Panel, but NOT via System-Apps & Features

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Program Uninstall in Control Panel, but NOT via System-Apps & Features: Hi all, To start we have three separate installation packages (Windows Installer .msi's) we create. They basically work fine with no needed modifications to work in the Windows 10 World. Once on the system, we are able to remove 2 of the three from System-Apps &...