Windows 10: Apps in system tray not launching

Discus and support Apps in system tray not launching in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have an Acer Predator laptop model PH315-51 running Windows 10 64-bit (1903). Please bear with me as I explain the background. I'm not sure when... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Boeing747MY, Oct 13, 2019.

1. Apps in system tray not launching

I have an Acer Predator laptop model PH315-51 running Windows 10 64-bit (1903). Please bear with me as I explain the background.

I'm not sure when this problem started happening, but it could well be early August - because that's when a Windows update broke my Train Simulator game (the 64 bit version). It simply crashed when launching with no error message: When the shortcut is clicked to launch, it showed the splash screen for a few seconds, I could see it in the taskbar and the cursor has that rotating time circle. The splash screen shortly thereafter disappeared, the program disappeared from the taskbar, the rotating time circle disappeared, and nothing happened.

When I removed the KB following this post, it worked for a while, before another barrage of updates came later in the month and the old problem returned. This time I wasn't sure which KB caused it. I am still waiting for the solution for this from the game developer.

Now this may or may not be related to the above, but I noticed at least two apps that launched during system startup and sit in the system tray are exhibiting the same symptoms as the game - when I right click on the icon in the system tray, and left clicked on the menu option to open it, the cursor shows the rotating time circle for a few seconds, then nothing happened. The programs did not launch. They are the Dolby Audio program and Acer Care Centre program.

I need to open the Dolby Audion program to change my sound settings - and I haven't been able to do this because of this problem. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling my Realtek HD audio drivers, to no effect.

Please help.

:)

Boeing747MY, Oct 13, 2019
  2. dalchina Win User

Task Scheduler - launch program hidden in system tray

If the program doesn't have such a setting. automating that is difficult.

There are programs that add buttons to title bars or allow you to rt click the title bar and choose such an option, but that's not relevant to your need to launch it automatically.

This was discussed here, using an Autohotkey script:
    Need script to always start program in system tray - AutoHotkey Community
    but I would regard that only as a pointer, not a reliable solution.

There were older programs that did this:
    (I can't post the link - it does something very odd when I do)
    It's on lifehacker.com

Windows only: Freeware application Trayconizer turns any application into a system tray application in just a few steps. Unlike other previously mentioned minimize-to-system-tray apps like TrayIt or 4t Tray Minimizer, Trayconizer starts applications in the system tray from the moment you run them. To use it, you need to tweak the shortcut you're using to launch the application (right-click shortcut and select Properties) by adding the path to Trayconizer in front of the app like so: C:\Path\To\Trayconizer.exe C:\Windows\Notepad.exe. Trayconizer is freeware, Windows only, requires no install, and consumes a paltry 2MB of RAM.

dalchina, Oct 13, 2019
  3. Lost clock and calendar from system tray after update on September 25, 2016

Hi,

There are several reasons why this issue happens. To help you resolve this concern, we suggest that you adjust the height of the system tray. Kindly follow the steps below:

• Right-click on the system tray.
    • Make sure that the Lock all taskbars
      option is unchecked.
    • Try positioning your cursor at the top edge of the system tray until you see a vertical line with arrows at both tips.
    • Hold the left mouse button down and drag the edge of the system tray upward to expand it.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Janeane Cru, Oct 13, 2019
  4. Apps in system tray not launching

WINDOWS DEFENDER IN SYSTEM TRAY

Hi Peggybiebl,

Hope this will address your query.

Follow the below mentioned steps:

* Click Start,

* Type Windows Defender into the search space and select the
    Window Defender
    from the list to launch the same.

* Keep Windows Defender open on desktop.

* Now Right-click on System-Tray(I.e. On time/date) and select
    Customize notification icons from context menu

* On right Select which icons appear on the taskbar under
    Quick actions

* Then search and toggle the Windows Defender to On

Going forward you can see the Windows Defender in the system tray.

Hope this will address your query.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, Oct 13, 2019
Thema:

Apps in system tray not launching

1. Apps in system tray not launching - Similar Threads - Apps system tray

2. App Disappears from System Tray

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    App Disappears from System Tray: The Laptops win 11 are under AD Win Server 2019. Admin credential is needed to execute one executable file and the screen cast application appears in the system tray of the laptop. The application disappears once the laptop Win 11 is rebooted. Again admin credential is needed...
  3. system tray app dysfunction

in Windows 10 Gaming
    system tray app dysfunction: I clicked on my Amazon icon in the system tray which awlays takes me to the website and what opened up is in the image i inserted.How do i get that to stop and that's never happened before. And there is a tab open in upper left hand corner that says Apps with a color grid....
  4. system tray app dysfunction

system tray app dysfunction: I clicked on my Amazon icon in the system tray which awlays takes me to the website and what opened up is in the image i inserted.How do i get that to stop and that's never happened before. And there is a tab open in upper left hand corner that says Apps with a color grid....
  5. How to launch app on startup minimized to tray?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to launch app on startup minimized to tray?: I'm using "Screen Rotate" app from windows store. What i want is to always launch this app on startup minimized to tray.In preferences it has an option to minimize to tray, which i prefer.I've added a shortcut to startup folder so the app launches on startup.In shortcut...
  6. How to launch app on startup minimized to tray?

How to launch app on startup minimized to tray?: I'm using "Screen Rotate" app from windows store. What i want is to always launch this app on startup minimized to tray.In preferences it has an option to minimize to tray, which i prefer.I've added a shortcut to startup folder so the app launches on startup.In shortcut...
  7. Unable to Launch File Manager from System Tray

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to Launch File Manager from System Tray: Hello Forum Readers: I hope that you all are healthy and safe. Over this past week I have not been able to launch the File Manager by use of the folder icon located in my system tray. I have several short cuts located on my desktop, e.g., Recycle Bin, that do open up the...
  8. System tray apps

in Windows 10 Customization
    System tray apps: Does the inclusion of an app in the system tray affect the amount of usable RAM? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-tray-apps/cc98dce4-a625-4e95-87c6-364c23a3726b
  9. OneDrive System Tray App Resolution

in Windows 10 Customization
    OneDrive System Tray App Resolution: I have a 4K display. The OneDrive app that runs in my System Tray used to display appropriately when opened. Recently, I had to step down my resolution to 1920 x 1080 to record my screen, and maintain a reasonable file size and more practical resolution. When I reverted back...
  10. Task Scheduler - launch program hidden in system tray

in Windows 10 Support
    Task Scheduler - launch program hidden in system tray: I am using a program called ThrottleStop to undervolt my laptop. I have configured it via Task Scheduler to launch minimized at the log on of any user. Is there any way to launch it with the icon hidden in the system tray, similar to how Windows Defender works? 96563