Windows 10: Apps installed from store Moved back to C: Drive after update 1809

Discus and support Apps installed from store Moved back to C: Drive after update 1809 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a habit to send games installed from the store to D: drive as i like to keep C: drive which is a limited space SSD strictly for work stuff , now... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by nIGHTmAYOR, Nov 23, 2018.

1. Apps installed from store Moved back to C: Drive after update 1809

I have a habit to send games installed from the store to D: drive as i like to keep C: drive which is a limited space SSD strictly for work stuff , now to my surprise i found them all managed to move back to C: drive after the 1809 update . Could this be it ? Could this be what was giving certain people boot loops after the update ? trying to fit moved apps back to where there is no space for ? I mean i was lucky i had enough space on C: but what if I didn't ?

--Edit--
    And please how do I convince microsoft i dont want Candy Crush and Mine Craft back with every update ?

:)

nIGHTmAYOR, Nov 23, 2018
  2. Anusha Win User

C windows installer folder - Delete?

He can do symbolic link redirection and move the files in it to a different location. *Wink Apps installed from store Moved back to C: Drive after update 1809 ;)
    Better try it out in a virtual of first. Just a suggestion.

Like:
    First move everything in c:\windows\installer to d:\installercache
    Then delete c:\windows\installer folder
    Then type this in command mode as admin
    mklink /d c:\windows\installer d:\installercache

Removing those installer files is a bad idea. it might prevent you from updating or uninstalling apps.

Anusha, Nov 23, 2018
  3. Cannot move or install apps on drive other than C:

I have a small SSD that has windows installed, and a larger SSD and HDD that I use to store the majority of my programs/files. When I try to install a game like Sea of Thieves or Zoo Tycoon on any other drive than my C drive, it fails during the install
    step. I have tried reseting the store, double checked windows is up to date, restarted the computer multiple times (once even during the install), and ensured the date and time were correct. Even if the game is completely installed on the C drive, when I move
    it via the apps part of the control panel using the move command, it fails during the last part of the transfer. I only have one user account and it has admin privledges.

I have not had problems installing programs or games on the other two drives before. I have only had problems with Sea of Thieves and Zoo Tycoon through the Windows Store. This makes me extremely hesistant to get any other apps on the store because I am
    almost out of space to install on my C drive.

Is there anything else I can try so I can move the games onto another drive?

EdibleCactus, Nov 23, 2018
  4. Daz1967 Win User

Apps installed from store Moved back to C: Drive after update 1809

Windows Store error 0x80070005 when installing/moving to non-C: drive

Right here is what I definitely know:

1. Windows Store apps and games can ALL be downloaded and installed without issue (i.e. error 0x80070005) when the default Storage location is left at C: (which is my boot SSD where Windows 10 Pro is installed). This includes both new ones and existing ones.

2. Windows Store apps and games CANNOT be updated if they are located on my H: drive (in the H:\WindowsApps folder), which I'd previously moved there some months ago to free space on my boot SSD. Until the last couple of weeks they have always updated fine but recently stopped working, possibly as a result of upgrading to v1607 of Windows via the Insider Preview.

In the last couple of days the Windows Store found updates for both Killer Instinct and Forza Motorsport 6: Apex (Beta) but both failed consistently with error 0x80070005.

3. However, I've found that I am ABLE to move apps and games from the H: drive to the C: drive and then update them from there as long as I have space. I did this for Forza Motorsport 6: Apex (Beta), which updated without error a few days ago, but while I have been able to move Killer Instinct back to my C: drive, I am unable to update it because I do not have enough space.

4. I am unable to move games or apps from the C: to the H: drive or any other drive either, which includes D:, E: (my games drives), I:, J: and K: (my external backup drives). I get error 0x80070005. This includes both Forza Motorsport 6: Apex (Beta) and Killer Instinct, the former of which updated fine.

5. I am unable to move games or apps from the H: drive to other non-C: drives such as D: or E:; they fail with error 0x80070005.

6. When I attempt to move games to another location such as a new drive which does not already have any Store apps or games on it, I can see a WindowsApps folder being created with a sub-folder for the game but there are never any files created inside it. Cancelling the move then deletes the sub-folder for the game and the WindowsApps folder remains as an empty folder.

What can the issue be?

I have Steam games installed on D:, E: and H: as well as Origin and Uplay titles and they all update and install to those drives without error despite the root drives being owned by SYSTEM. It's just the blasted Windows Store that seems to have issues with installing or moving anything to anywhere else but C:!

Daz1967, Nov 23, 2018
Thema:

Apps installed from store Moved back to C: Drive after update 1809

1. Apps installed from store Moved back to C: Drive after update 1809 - Similar Threads - Apps installed store

2. Moved Files To D:\ Drive and tried to Move them Back To C:\

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Moved Files To D:\ Drive and tried to Move them Back To C:\: I moved what drive my desktop was set to from my C:\ drive to my D:\ drive. This made me unable to access files so I tried to "restore to default" and that didn't seem to work. When I restarted my PC all of my files that was stored in the D:\ drive were gone and the drive is...
  3. Moving app from C: drive to D: drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving app from C: drive to D: drive: How do I move an app to a different internal drive? I'm aware of the move tool in the apps and features settings but it is greyed out and unavailable with no explanation as to why. I'd rather move the application without uninstalling and reinstalling it as it is a large file...
  4. Moving Apps from C SSD drive to D HDD drive.

Moving Apps from C SSD drive to D HDD drive.: I tried moving my Microsoft game apps to my much larger D drive, using the instructions that were recommended: [ATTACH] They stayed on drive C, but they did show up here on D: [ATTACH] [ATTACH] How do I open these in D, delete the ones in C, but still have icons on the...
  5. How to "move" an app from c:/ to another drive?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to "move" an app from c:/ to another drive?: I am trying to move an app to a different drive to free up space. I am an administrator. The "move" icon on the apps & features page is grayed out. What do I have to do to activate the move command?...
  6. Moving installed programs from a non-C drive to C drive

Moving installed programs from a non-C drive to C drive: I recently invested in a 256GB SSD to replace my old mechanical 1TB HDD. The SSD is obviously much smaller than my old HDD, so a while ago (in anticipation of this upgrade) I split my C: drive in to two (a C:\ and an S:\ drive), and symlinked a load of programs/games/etc.,...
  7. Moving installed programs from a non-C drive to C drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Moving installed programs from a non-C drive to C drive: I recently invested in a 256GB SSD to replace my old mechanical 1TB HDD. The SSD is obviously much smaller than my old HDD, so a while ago (in anticipation of this upgrade) I split my C: drive in to two (a C:\ and an S:\ drive), and symlinked a load of programs/games/etc.,...
  8. Windows store and apps downloaded from it not opening after installing 1809 update

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Windows store and apps downloaded from it not opening after installing 1809 update: windows store shuts itself after 2 secs of opening after update. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-store-and-apps-downloaded-from-it-not/8e1ff4ff-bae6-4aee-8d76-203ef9b885d9"
  9. Apps installed from store Moved back to C: Drive after update 1809

Apps installed from store Moved back to C: Drive after update 1809: I have a habit to send games installed from the store to D: drive as i like to keep C: drive which is a limited space SSD strictly for work stuff , now to my surprise i found them all managed to move back to C: drive after the 1809 update . Could this be it ? Could this be...
  10. Cannot move or install apps on drive other than C:

Cannot move or install apps on drive other than C:: I have a small SSD that has windows installed, and a larger SSD and HDD that I use to store the majority of my programs/files. When I try to install a game like Sea of Thieves or Zoo Tycoon on any other drive than my C drive, it fails during the install step. I have tried...