Windows 10: Apps missing and cannot repair or reinstall

Discus and support Apps missing and cannot repair or reinstall in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Calculator is about the only Microsoft App I use but I frequently find it missing from the list: [img] But it's worse on this occasion. I've... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Terrypin, May 15, 2019.

1. Terrypin Win User

Apps missing and cannot repair or reinstall

Calculator is about the only Microsoft App I use but I frequently find it missing from the list:

Apps missing and cannot repair or reinstall [​IMG]

But it's worse on this occasion. I've previously successfully used the following (obscure) Powershell command, which restored all apps:

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage-DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

That no longer works. Nor the more complex instructions here:
    How to re-add missing apps to the Start menu in the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update | Windows Central

When I try to run it (either from the calculator keyboard button or by typing calc.exe into the run box) I get this message:

Proceeding consistently ends up with this:

The same happens if I try to install the alternative 'Calc Pro HD Free'.

Very frustrating!

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

:)

Terrypin, May 15, 2019

2. Missing apps

Its a bug in the latest update:

1. Repair or Reset the missing apps:

Open Settings, and select Apps.

On the Apps & features tab, find the name of the missing app. Click the app and select Advanced options (if available).

If a Repair option is available, click Repair. If this option is not available, or if Repair does not resolve the issue, you may also try the Reset option, though you might lose any app data that was saved.

Once the repair or reset is completed, the app should again appear in the app list and can be pinned to the Start Menu.

2. Uninstall and reinstall the missing apps:

Open Settings, and select Apps.

On the Apps & features tab, find the name of the missing app. Click the app and select Uninstall.

Open Store and then reinstall the missing app. Once installed, the app should appear in the app list, and can be pinned to the Start Menu.

3. Re-register the missing apps using PowerShell – If you have a lot missing apps, advanced users can instead attempt to restore all of them at once using the following PowerShell commands. Note, however, that if Steps 1 and 2 were already attempted and did
    not restore your missing apps, this PowerShell solution will also likely not succeed.

In Cortana, type PowerShell. In the search results, right-click Windows PowerShell and select Run as administrator.

In the Powershell window type the following commands. These steps may take a few minutes to complete.

reg delete “HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\TileDataModel\Migration\TileStore” /va /f

get-appxpackage -packageType bundle |% {add-appxpackage -register -disabledevelopmentmode ($_.installlocation + "\appxmetadata\appxbundlemanifest.xml")}

$bundlefamilies = (get-appxpackage -packagetype Bundle).packagefamilyname

get-appxpackage -packagetype main |? {-not ($bundlefamilies -contains $_.packagefamilyname)} |% {add-appxpackage -register -disabledevelopmentmode ($_.installlocation + "\appxmanifest.xml")}

Once the PowerShell commands are completed, the apps should appear in the app list, and can be pinned to the Start Menu.

There seems to be some early adopter issues at this time with Windows 10 1709, if you can, I recommend you downgrade to your previous version until the Fall Creators Update matures with future cumulative updates.

Andre Da Costa, May 15, 2019
  3. Rose Cal Win User
    App Icons Missing

Hi Donna,

Corrupted applications are the possible causes why your program icons are missing after an update. To isolate your issue, we'd like to clarify a few things:

• When you hover your mouse over your taskbar or Start menu, are you seeing the icons for your apps?
    • Have you tried searching for a specific app and check if it will appear on the search results?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you repair and reset your applications using the steps shared by Meliton Dec on this

thread
    about restoring missing apps.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rose Cal, May 15, 2019
  4. Apps missing and cannot repair or reinstall

Store Apps Missing and Invisible after Fall Creators Update

Here's a workaround direct from Microsoft.

Some of these steps seem fairly standard, and users have reported that they've only managed to recover some of their missing apps using this workaround. This is possibly one of the reasons why Dec has requested
    those still facing this issue to go back to their previous version of Windows, or even reset their PCs. In any case, further updates will be provided once "better solutions become available".

Michael M. Knight, May 15, 2019
Thema:

Apps missing and cannot repair or reinstall

1. Apps missing and cannot repair or reinstall - Similar Threads - Apps missing cannot

2. Cannot open or reinstall apps like Photos or Store on Windows 11, considering repair...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot open or reinstall apps like Photos or Store on Windows 11, considering repair...: I have attempted reinstallation of these apps on powershell as admin and got no results. Only thing i haven't tried that I have come across is a repair install. I am questioning if I should do this and if it would mess anything up. Additionally, I am wondering if I should...
  3. reinstall wifi app it is missing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    reinstall wifi app it is missing: install wifi app. it is hard wired right now https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reinstall-wifi-app-it-is-missing/fa8c9b74-8997-4020-a24c-749c608481a1
  4. reinstall wifi app it is missing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    reinstall wifi app it is missing: install wifi app. it is hard wired right now https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reinstall-wifi-app-it-is-missing/fa8c9b74-8997-4020-a24c-749c608481a1
  5. reinstall wifi app it is missing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Cannot Reinstall Missing Default Windows 10 Apps

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot Reinstall Missing Default Windows 10 Apps: Hey, my windows is missing a ton of apps Pretty much the only one left is alarms & clocks.. And to get them back, I tried running this command: "Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$$_.InstallLocation\AppXManifest.xml"...
  7. Cannot reinstall Microsoft Store+Apps, Repair install did not work

Cannot reinstall Microsoft Store+Apps, Repair install did not work: Windows 10 Version 1909 (OS build 18363.752) This all seemingly started after uninstalling a game app (Halo). I first noticed an issue with the photos app. I attempted to open a picture and received this: File system error (-2147219196). I attempted to terminate, then...
  8. Apps missing and cannot repair or reinstall

in Windows 10 Support
    Apps missing and cannot repair or reinstall: Calculator is about the only Microsoft App I use but I frequently find it missing from the list: [img] But it's worse on this occasion. I've previously successfully used the following (obscure) Powershell command, which restored all apps: Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |...
  9. "There's a problem with *app name and path*. Repair and reinstall

"There's a problem with *app name and path*. Repair and reinstall: Hey guys, I get this error everytime I attempt to open a Windows App. "There's a problem with *app name and path*. Contact your system administrator about repairing or reinstalling it." This happens for all Windows apps, including the store. I've attached a pic. Thanks!...
  10. Automatic Repair Loop and Cannot Reinstall

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Automatic Repair Loop and Cannot Reinstall: So my friend's PC just started doing this today. He went to search for something in his computer and got the error "Cortana has encountered a critical error". His PC then restarted and now is in the automatic repair loop. He cannot reinstall... When he goes to tries to Keep...