Windows 10: Apps not functioning properly

Discus and support Apps not functioning properly in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hey guys! I've been a W10 user for the past half year or so, and I must say that I've had pretty good experiences with it. I used it on my cheap... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by shalabajza, Nov 27, 2015.

1. Apps not functioning properly

Hey guys! I've been a W10 user for the past half year or so, and I must say that I've had pretty good experiences with it. I used it on my cheap desktop, and on my old Asus T100 as a laptop tablet hybrid. But, I got rid of both, and I got myself a second hand Lenovo ThinkPad X201, with pretty good specs for my needs, even though it's not really widely supported for W10, but it hasn't been that hard to get the right drivers for it.

Anyways, my problem is kind of strange and not really that big of a deal, but it's been bugging me for the past few hours.

Ever since the new November update came out, people reported huge bugs with the OS, even though I haven't stumbled upon any apart from this one:

My Windows 10 built-in apps and market apps that I have installed don't seem to be showing any icons or live tiles in the start menu, and when I open any of the apps, instead of the normal title, let's say "Weather" for example, all I get is this:

Apps not functioning properly [​IMG]

The start menu pretty much looks like this:

I haven't noticed anyone else reporting this problem, and even though it's not really that big of a deal and it's probably fixable with an OS reinstall, I honestly don't want to go through that again, becaues I just finished installing the OS and all the apps and drivers less than 24 hours ago.

I thank you all in advance and I wish you all have a nice day!

:)

shalabajza, Nov 27, 2015

2. Apps not functioning properly after recent update.

Thank you for updating us. The configuration of your display might have also been changed when the operating system got updated. To check if it is in the proper configuration, kindly follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key + I to open Settings.
    • Click System, and then Display.
    • Under Scale and layout, check if it is set to the recommended settings. See picture below for reference:

Update us on the status of the issue.

Dennis Mop, Nov 27, 2015
  3. Apps not functioning properly after recent update.

Hi,

When encountering issues with the display and its orientation, one thing we can look at is your graphics driver. Just to verify, by saying re-rolling, do you mean rolling back to its earlier version? For the meantime, what we can recommend is updating the
    graphics card driver. To do this, kindly follow the steps provided in this
    article

We'll be waiting for your response.

Dennis Mop, Nov 27, 2015
  4. Doverboy Win User

Apps not functioning properly

Could be so many things...

Personally, I was able to fix issues with Windows Store yesterday. I checked corruption with sfc /scannow (clean). ran troubleshooters (clean), reinstalled and re-registered components. All of these solutions are here on the forums, but none worked for me.

Then I tried an in-place reinstall, obtaining updates and retaining settings and apps. After reinstall, still had problems.

Then I read about others having some issues with CCleaner and AMD Catalyst Control Center. CCleaner had been removed from my machine during the reinstall, so that didn't seem applicable. However, I had AMD Catalyst Control Center set to startup and monitor for updates in the SysTray. I disabled it from startup and tried a second in-place reinstall. All working great for me now.

So, if you have Catalyst set to startup automatically and monitor, you might try unloading it from startup and an in-place reinstall.

If not, I'm sure others will have much better suggestions.

Hope it works out!

Doverboy, Nov 27, 2015
  5. That'd be a good place to start off if I had an AMD GPU to begin with... But I'll see what I can do with everything else that you listed out!

I'm currently trying the "Upgrade this PC to Windows 10" method to reinstall everything OS-related and leave all the apps and settings intact, and I'll post results once everything finishes.

Thank you so much for the feedback, though! Appreciate it.

shalabajza, Nov 27, 2015
  6. Doverboy Win User
    You can try to reset Windows Store as well. Run WSreset.exe. It takes awhile to complete (about 10 minutes or so on my machine) but didn't work. But it seems to fix a lot of the other problems folks are experiencing...

Doverboy, Nov 27, 2015
  7. Currently in the process of upgrading Windows. Took me a while to download the image and updates (slow internet connection), and I'm currently at 17%. Should be completed in about half an hour or so. It's a lengthly process, but it is my safest bet. If that doesn't work, then heck, I have no idea what to do then. Might as well downgrade to 8.1 again. This is currently the only PC I have by me and I need to get some projects done by tomorrow, so I need a stable machine as much as I want Windows 10.

Is it just me, or has the latest November update kind of bugged out the whole experience even more?

shalabajza, Nov 27, 2015
  8. Doverboy Win User

Well, I upgraded from XP to 7 to 10 over the past month and I think W10 is far better from a productivity point of view. Yes, I've had a few problems, but overall I'm very pleased with the improvements.

As you're doing now, an in-place reinstall seems to fix any serious problems. I've begun to download and store the most recent ISOs and having them handy is terrific. The reinstall process, without losing apps and folders, is much more streamlined than earlier versions. I can get through the process in less than an hour. While I want to learn as much as I can about the OS, I'm also realizing that performing the reinstall is pretty much painless (for me so far) and is better than spending an afternoon digging around for hopeful solutions.

So, while it might be a bit buggy, I've had no issues on several other machines and value how much easier it is to reinstall when I'm stumped. Plus, I;m confident it will all become better and easier.

I hope you keep it up and it works!

Doverboy, Nov 27, 2015
  9. Couldn't agree more on the fact that the reinstallation process is far easier than ever before, especially with the media creation tool that Microsoft has given us. As far as bugs go, I can't say that I've had a bumpy experience with my other two devices that I used to own (the hybrid cheap desktop and the Asus Transformer), though Asus dropped in quick with Win10 support for drivers, as did all the hardware manufacturers for my desktop, even including Logitech (had a wireless keyboard/mouse combo). I'm going to make a wild guess that it's both the slightly unstable update and the lack of 100% compatible drivers supplied from Lenovo that caused me trouble. AFAIK, Lenovo stopped officially fully supporting X201's drivers since windows 8.1 (there are some drivers available for download, but the list is not complete). It's kind of a shame, really. Having an i5 processor that is 5 years old or so, I didn't think that its support would drop so quickly.

(56% currently. This is taking a bit longer than expected.)

shalabajza, Nov 27, 2015
  10. Doverboy Win User
    Yes, an i5 should still be supported IMO, too.

Are you allowing W10 to update drivers itself? If you're having some driver issues, it might be better for you to let Windows decide rather than rely on unsupported and outdated stuff if Lenovo isn't providing W10-specific support for your laptop.

Doverboy, Nov 27, 2015
  11. I've started off with installing my own drivers, one part from the Lenovo website, and another from DriverPack (a ~10GB repository of drivers, free to download. Comes in handy with older systems or environments with poor or no internet connection), but it seemed as if I didn't achieve maximum performance (and my audio was kind of going bonkers), so I let Windows do the driver installation, but I guess the old installations left some traces? I have no idea, but the upgrade is close to finishing, so I'll see how that goes!

shalabajza, Nov 27, 2015
  12. Doverboy Win User
    I think that might make it better. Allowing Windows to decide which drivers to use on my 2009-built machine fixed a lot of issues, especially USB and WLAN. Many people will make compelling arguments as to why you should do it yourself, and just as many good reasons to allow Windows to decide. Plus, if it solves the problems without you having to cull through 10GB of drivers, even better!

Doverboy, Nov 27, 2015
  13. Apps not functioning properly

Oh, the DriverPack that I have is actually accompanied with an app that does the inspecting and installing for you, and it features some other great apps to get you started, like browsers, codec packs, runtimes and frameworks etc etc. It's free to download, actually! Here's the link if you feel like it may come in handy: DriverPack Solution - Best Drivers installation Software

Oh, and as far as my original problem goes, the reinstall solved it, and so far no new issues have occurred! Hooray!

shalabajza, Nov 27, 2015
  14. Doverboy Win User
    Happy to learn it worked out! Nice!

Doverboy, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Apps not functioning properly - Similar Threads - Apps functioning properly

2. Windows apps not functioning properly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows apps not functioning properly: There are a couple issues with windows that are making things hard. It started with the calculator app not opening, so when I went to reinstall it via the Windows Store app, it gave me the error above. This time it appeared in a window but usually it's just red text next to...
  3. Windows apps not functioning properly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows apps not functioning properly: There are a couple issues with windows that are making things hard. It started with the calculator app not opening, so when I went to reinstall it via the Windows Store app, it gave me the error above. This time it appeared in a window but usually it's just red text next to...
  4. Windows apps not functioning properly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. F11 not functioning properly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    F11 not functioning properly: Hi all, I only noticed it last night but whenever I'm in an application like edge or chrome, and press f11 to go fullscreen, it doesn't work. It instead opens a right-click menu i.e. with "emoji", "cut", "copy", "paste" and focuses on the url bar. When I press f11 outside of...
  6. Pc not functioning properly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pc not functioning properly: After resetting my pc due to it being too slow , it takes around 10 minutes for it to "Prepare windows" , the taskbar is missing , except for desktop and this pc , files like download , videos , pictures is gone. The wallpaper is gone too. If I try to open settings it says...
  7. Pc not functioning properly

Pc not functioning properly: After resetting my pc due to it being too slow , it takes around 10 minutes for it to "Prepare windows" , the taskbar is missing , except for desktop and this pc , files like download , videos , pictures is gone. The wallpaper is gone too. If I try to open settings it says...
  8. App Volume Device Preferences Not Functioning Properly

in Windows 10 Customization
    App Volume Device Preferences Not Functioning Properly: When using App volume device preferences in Windows 10, changing the audio device for certain apps is a little hit or miss. on some it works but on others it fails to do so. For example with Rainbow 6, everything works fine: [ATTACH] But along with other games or apps...
  9. WINDOW CAMERA APP NOT FUNCTION PROPER.

WINDOW CAMERA APP NOT FUNCTION PROPER.: CAMERA APP NOT FUNCTION PROPERLY.IT SHOWS A CROSS MARK IN FULL SCREEN https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/window-camera-app-not-function-proper/4c319878-0451-46b7-b53f-dc0d4812e11d
  10. "All Apps" function doesn't work properly

"All Apps" function doesn't work properly: I've had windows 10 for several months (previously had windows 7). Up until yesterday, when I clicked on "all apps" an alphabetical list would come up, I'd scroll to what I wanted, and click on it. If there was an item with a sublisting, like Microsoft office a down symbol...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. apps not functioning