Windows 10: Apps not opening/reading and desktop wiped

Discus and support Apps not opening/reading and desktop wiped in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I did some maintenance on my PC using Avast Cleanup Premium due to my computer being slow. After I reset my computer, I tried to open Steam only for it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Gatlin VanDriel, May 3, 2019.

1. Apps not opening/reading and desktop wiped

I did some maintenance on my PC using Avast Cleanup Premium due to my computer being slow. After I reset my computer, I tried to open Steam only for it to not be able to detect a shortcut. I decided to uninstall and reinstall Steam, but when I uninstalled Steam, ALL of my desktop shortcuts just vanished. Not just those related to Steam. I reinstalled Steam and reset my PC again, but it's been acting up. Multiple Apps have no icon and I assume are unreadable. Adobe Creative Cloud won't open and searching for any Adobe programs shows nothing. I do however have Illustrator on my taskbar and I can open it and use it just fine, but all the Illustrator files I have aren't set to be read by Illustrator and I can't set it because Illustrator isn't in the app list.

I highly doubt I corrupted all these apps. What should I do?

:)

Gatlin VanDriel, May 3, 2019
  2. Brink Win User

Mail app will not open on 10041.

Hello Adam,

This is the suggested solution below if you haven't already tried it. Apps not opening/reading and desktop wiped :)

In this Windows 10 build 10041, the Mail, Calendar, and People apps may be broken due to a licensing issue with the Store Beta. To get these apps working again, you need to follow these steps:

• Open powershell as administrator
    • Run the command Get-appxprovisionedpackage –online | where-object {$_.packagename –like “*windowscommunicationsapps*”} | remove-appxprovisionedpackage –online
    • Re-install Mail, People and Calendar from the Store (green tile)

Brink, May 3, 2019
  3. Edwin Win User
    Mail app will not open on 10041.

Hey Shawn,
    I did that to no avail, then I ran WSReset.exe; now I'm good on all 3, Mail, Calendar and People! *Confused
    Go figure!

Store Cache - Clear in Windows 8

Edwin, May 3, 2019
  4. Apps not opening/reading and desktop wiped

How to pin app shortcut to desk top?

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow below steps to change pin the apps on the desktop screen and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to perform the below steps to add the apps on desktop.

• Click on the “Start button” and locate the App that you want to pin to Desktop.
    • Right click on the “App” and click on “More options”.
    • Then click on “Open File location” and right click on the app, click on “Send to” option.
    • Then select “Desktop (Create shortcut)”.
    • Go to “Desktop” and check whether the app is located or not.

Or Step 2: To add shortcuts to the desktop

• Press and hold or right-click the desktop, tap or click New, and then tap or click Shortcut.
    • Enter the location of the item or tap or click Browse to find the item in File Explorer.

Hope this information is helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, May 3, 2019
Thema:

Apps not opening/reading and desktop wiped

1. Apps not opening/reading and desktop wiped - Similar Threads - Apps opening reading

2. Desktop Wiped Clean

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Desktop Wiped Clean: Hello, Can anyone help? Whilst downloading an anti-virus software programme – my desktopwas wiped clear all my files are gone. I have included a screenshot [ATTACH] What happened? Much appreciation...
  3. Opening Apps in Specific Virtual Desktops

in Windows 10 Customization
    Opening Apps in Specific Virtual Desktops: Hi, I was wondering if there's a way to set my apps to open in particular virtual desktops. Desired effect: When I run the following apps, I'd like for them to open only in their designated vitrual desktops. E.x. I'd like for my Spotify to open only in Virtual Desktop 5,...
  4. Kindle Reading app

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Kindle Reading app: Hi, I am unable to find Kindle Reading app on Microsoft Store for windows 10 PC version in India.Can someone help me to get the Kindle book reading app installed on my PC. Thanks in advance....
  5. Desktop is Read Only

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Desktop is Read Only: Ever since I upgraded to Windows 10, I am unable to save files to the desktop from inside an application. I can copy a file from another folder to the desktop, but if I edit it (in Word, for example), I can't save the changed file to the desktop. Files are read only. I...
  6. app on desktop will not open

app on desktop will not open: Several apps on desktop will not open when clicked. I am using win 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/app-on-desktop-will-not-open/89fff10e-bdb9-4f62-bcd0-4a335effffb2
  7. Organize open apps with virtual desktops

in Windows 10 Customization
    Organize open apps with virtual desktops: Apps feeling cluttered? Organize open apps with virtual desktops! Click here for more info: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/tips/home/get-organized#virtualdesktops [ATTACH]...
  8. Automatic update wipes desktop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Automatic update wipes desktop: The recent automatic Windows update (November 2018) has wiped my desktop. I just got a box saying something about a corrupted file. What can I do to get it back?...
  9. Reading Apps

Reading Apps: I have made Notepad my default app for opening documents. How do I undo this? Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-winapps-appscat_productivity/reading-apps/67dbaa37-6a7e-4f9d-a75a-49a158722f4e
  10. Reading App Weirdness

Reading App Weirdness: I was rereading a multi-chapter fanfic I wrote on AO3 using the reading app which I love, by the way. However, when I got to Chapter 16 and clicked on the app button, it loaded a blank page. Upon trying it several times, it either loaded a blank page or closed down the...