Windows 10: Apps return to main monitor after waking up PC

Discus and support Apps return to main monitor after waking up PC in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I recently purchased Samsung C32H711 (1440p) to go along with my LG 27EA31 (1080p) and Ive had this problem since. Whenever I wake my PC from stand... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by KayYassine, Mar 3, 2019.

1. Apps return to main monitor after waking up PC

I recently purchased Samsung C32H711 (1440p) to go along with my LG 27EA31 (1080p) and Ive had this problem since.

Whenever I wake my PC from stand by, or after the monitors go to sleep from inactivity (locking account or just not using it, going AFK); once the monitors turn on again or my PC wakes up and logging back on, my apps on my second monitor automatically come back to the main monitor (Samsung) and the second monitor (LG) just shows the desktop and task bar. I constantly have to drag the apps back to the second one and rearrange them.

This is very frustrating when I have a bunch of apps stacked and I have to rearrange them.

I've tried many fixes that ive found online of this site as well as others and still haven't found a fix. I've bought 5 different cables thinking its my cables, nothing.

Things ive tried:

- Editing the registry and deleting the Configuration folder under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers

- Tried messing with the display scaling settings

- Used DDU to remove everything GPU driver related and reinstalled the GPU drivers

- Used the CMD and Powershell commands to verify/repair and missing/broken Windows files

- Swapped the main desktop option from the primary display (Sam) to the second display (LG) and the same thing occurs but the apps go back to the new primary (LG). Doesnt matter which is the primary display, they always go back to the main one.

- Swapped GPU ports (I have 4x DP and 1x HDMI)

Ive officially run out of ideas and I think this is a Windows issue. Please help.

Thanks in advance!

Hardware:

- AMD FX 8350

- AMD Vega 64 8GB

- Kingston 32GB DDR3

- Kingston HyperX 500GB SSD

- Samsung C32H711 (1440p, Main Monitor)

- LG 27EA31 (1080p, Second Monitor)

:)

KayYassine, Mar 3, 2019
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

Apps getting moved to Secondary monitor after PC wakes up from sleep mode

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand how it could be when the feature doesn’t work as it is supposed to. We will look into this. Please reply to the following questions:

• Are you facing the similar issue when making the laptop monitor as the Primary monitor?
    • What is model number of your laptop?

In the meantime, I suggest you to try updating the display drivers and check if that helps. Please follow the steps from the article

Update drivers in Windows 10
    to update the graphics driver.

Also, I suggest you to try removing the hidden monitor drivers and check if that makes a difference. Please follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Press and hold the Windows + X key on the keyboard.
    2. Select Device manager.
    3. Click View tab.
    4. Select Show hidden devices.
    5. Expand Monitors and remove all the greyed out devices. To remove the greyed out devices, right click on the device and select
      uninstall.
    6. Restart your computer.

Hope it helps.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Mar 3, 2019
  3. Stavros Win User
    Monitor Not Waking Up After Sleep

I am experiencing a critical issue - when my computer goes into sleep mode, or if I manually place it in sleep mode, the monitor will not wake. The PC is running; I can hear the fan and the light on the front of the monitor is on, but the monitor itself will not wake. The only way I can get the computer back on is to do a hard reset by holding in the power button, turning it off, then back on. I've tried all the obvious fixes; windows updates, graphic card driver updates, unplugging, turning off sleep mode, turning off Link State Power Management ,making sure the keyboard or the mouse are able to wake the computer in settings, etc. Nothing so far has worked. Any suggestions on how to fix or what the problem may be?
    An additional problem is that I cannot even save some new settings in my motherboard. Somehow the settings return to the default settings and the problem remains. The PC purchased brand new almost 4 months ago.

CPU Intel Core i5 8600k 3.60GHz
    Graphic Card (integrated): Intel ® UHD Graphics 630
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370 HD3

Could you please provide any suggestion?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,

Stavros, Mar 3, 2019
  4. Ralph Sta Win User

Apps return to main monitor after waking up PC

App not waking pc from sleep

Thank you for getting back to us, Alexander. We can try to configure WinTv's task scheduler, kindly follow these steps:

1. On your keyboard, press the Windows key.
    2. Type Task Scheduler, and press Enter.
    3. Look for the specific task where you'd like WinTv to record (It'll easy to check under Next Run Time since you know the time when WinTv will record).
    4. Highlight the task, click Condition on the middle pane.
    5. Under Power, tick the box Wake the computer to run this task.

Check if your PC will wake to record after performing these steps, if the issue persists, kindly provide us your Windows build and version so we can look for more troubleshooting steps:

1. On your keyboard, press Windows + R.
    2. Type winver, and press Enter.

Keep us posted.

Ralph Sta, Mar 3, 2019
Thema:

Apps return to main monitor after waking up PC

1. Apps return to main monitor after waking up PC - Similar Threads - Apps return main

2. Monitor don't work after PC wake up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Monitor don't work after PC wake up: I have two monitor first connected via display port and the second via HDMI. It work correctly but if I off and on 1rst one or PC turn off display because of idle first monitor don't turn on - display port no signal. Only reload help. Win10, try to upgrade and re-install...
  3. Monitor don't work after PC wake up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Monitor don't work after PC wake up: I have two monitor first connected via display port and the second via HDMI. It work correctly but if I off and on 1rst one or PC turn off display because of idle first monitor don't turn on - display port no signal. Only reload help. Win10, try to upgrade and re-install...
  4. Monitor don't work after PC wake up

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Dual monitor BSOD when waking up or turning off main monitor.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dual monitor BSOD when waking up or turning off main monitor.: As the title says, I get a BSOD every time I either turn off my main monitor or wake up my pc from sleep it seems like the second monitor wakes up first, and it "counts" as if my main monitor got turned off or something. I have my graphics drivers up to date and...
  6. Monitor not waking up after Pc hibernating

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Monitor not waking up after Pc hibernating: Hi I will gladly provide any info you need. I'm using W10, obviously, and these last three times I've woken up to the usual black screen when the PC is in hibernation, except these last 3 times when i move the mouse or type a key nothing happens. I think the Pc responds and...
  7. Monitor Doesnt wake up after pc sleeps

in Windows 10 Support
    Monitor Doesnt wake up after pc sleeps: Hello all. Been having this problem for a while now so i wanted to come here and see if anyone can help me out. Whenever my pc goes to sleep, the screen will not display a picture when i try to wake up. It will come back if i turn the power to the monitor off and then back...
  8. Dual Monitor System - Main Monitor won't wake up

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Dual Monitor System - Main Monitor won't wake up: I've got a dual monitor system - Intel I5, Nvidia Geforce GTX960... Anyways, for some reason, here and there when I sit in front of my machine in the morning and wiggle my mouse, my main monitor does not come back to life. I should mention, that the main monitor on this...
  9. Dual Monitor System - Main Monitor sometimes won't wake up??

in Windows 10 Support
    Dual Monitor System - Main Monitor sometimes won't wake up??: I've got a dual monitor system - Intel I5, Nvidia Geforce GTX960... Anyways, for some reason, here and there when I sit in front of my machine in the morning and wiggle my mouse, my main monitor does not come back to life. I should mention, that the main monitor on this...
  10. Monitor Not Waking Up After Sleep

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Monitor Not Waking Up After Sleep: I am experiencing a critical issue - when my computer goes into sleep mode, or if I manually place it in sleep mode, the monitor will not wake. The PC is running; I can hear the fan and the light on the front of the monitor is on, but the monitor itself will not wake. The...