Windows 10: Apps will not open from start menu or taskbar

Discus and support Apps will not open from start menu or taskbar in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello, I am running windows 10 and when I open the start menu to search for a program, it will not open. When I click an app or file from within the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by BrianEgolf, Mar 24, 2021.

1. Apps will not open from start menu or taskbar

Hello,

I am running windows 10 and when I open the start menu to search for a program, it will not open. When I click an app or file from within the menu, it says the following: "The item you selected is unavailable. I might have been moved, renamed, or removed..." Furthermore, I cannot click on the windows symbol in the bottom left corner. In order to open the menu, I must use the windows key.

My system details are as follows:

Windows 10 build 19041.867

I have tried

restarting my machine

disconnecting my second display

both with no change.

:)

BrianEgolf, Mar 24, 2021

2. Taskbar hides and shows itself after opening start menu.

Steps:

1. Using HDMI for a second monitor.
    2. Open start menu using the icon.
    3. Close start menu using the icon.
    4. Click anywhere other than the task bars. (e.g. an open window, the desktop, even the first monitor's desktop)
    5. Taskbar on second monitor slides down to be hidden.
    6. Taskbar then immediately slides up to reappear.

If after closing the start menu (step 3), you click on the taskbar, then click outside the taskbar, this behavior does not occur.

Performing the steps on the main monitor's taskbar does not produce this behavior.

This has been happening for as long as I can remember using this laptop (~3years), with different nVidia drivers and Windows 10 updates.

Dreaming Void, Mar 24, 2021
  3. John Vil Win User
    Taskbar Start menu

We appreciate your response. For us not to miss out on anything, we would like to know what troubleshooting steps have you performed. For built-in applications like Mail, Calendar, Calculator, you can try reinstalling them so that they can properly register
    with the Start Menu. Here are the steps:

• Open Start.
    • Search for PowerShell, right-click the result, and select Run as administrator.
    • Type the following command to reinstall all the built-in Windows 10 apps and press Enter:

Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

If you are dealing with apps that you installed using the Windows Store, you can reinstall them by following the steps below:

• Open Settings.
    • Click on Apps.
    • Click on Apps & features.
    • Select the app in question, and click the Uninstall button.
    • Click the Uninstall button again to confirm.
    • Once you've completed the steps, open the Store, search for the app, and click the Install button, and now the app should appear in the Start menu.

For third party applications, you may need to reinstall them manually as well.

Let us know if you will need further assistance.

John Vil, Mar 24, 2021
  4. Callender Win User

Apps will not open from start menu or taskbar

Can I customize the list of suggest apps in the "Open with" menu?

You can't use it to add additional programs, only to set default programs.

Interestingly for me it shows nothing for text files:

Apps will not open from start menu or taskbar [​IMG]

Then if I want to add a portable app like Jarte Plus to open with context menu windows doesn't like it.

It's not present and is near impossible to add even via "look for an app on this PC"

OpenWithAdd to the rescue:

Result:

Callender, Mar 24, 2021
Thema:

Apps will not open from start menu or taskbar

1. Apps will not open from start menu or taskbar - Similar Threads - Apps open start

2. taskbar, start menu and settings app not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    taskbar, start menu and settings app not working: also everytime i start my pc a black screen shows up it takes around 5 minutes to start.ive tried every fix to these issues known to man and none of them worked, i dont know the root of the issue and this problem has plagued me for about a month if not longer...
  3. taskbar, start menu and settings app not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    taskbar, start menu and settings app not working: also everytime i start my pc a black screen shows up it takes around 5 minutes to start.ive tried every fix to these issues known to man and none of them worked, i dont know the root of the issue and this problem has plagued me for about a month if not longer...
  4. taskbar windows apps and start menu unresponsive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    taskbar windows apps and start menu unresponsive: my taskbar settings and other task bar utility like start menu button wi-fi volume etc are not responding I tried sfc /scannowDISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealthGet-AppXPackage -AllUsers Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register...
  5. taskbar windows apps and start menu unresponsive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    taskbar windows apps and start menu unresponsive: my taskbar settings and other task bar utility like start menu button wi-fi volume etc are not responding I tried sfc /scannowDISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealthGet-AppXPackage -AllUsers Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register...
  6. taskbar windows apps and start menu unresponsive

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Start Menu, Taskbar and Apps not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Start Menu, Taskbar and Apps not working: I have recently built a PC for gaming and it has been working for a month perfectly fine, but about a week ago, I have started to get the error critical_process_died frequently, and a few days ago, the taskbar stop showing apps and the start menu stopped working, it also...
  8. taskbar and start menu very slow to open

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    taskbar and start menu very slow to open: Does any one have problems with items in taskbar and start menu very slow to open, examples Google Chrome, Opera, email client. It's taking close to a minute for programs to open. I'm running an insider preview. Version 1903, OS build 18965.1000 Wondering if anyone else is...
  9. Start menu won't open from taskbar on the desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu won't open from taskbar on the desktop: I upgraded to Windows 10 last night and have had nothing but problems. The biggest one is the fact that I cannot open the start menu, I had worked around it by right clicking it and then selecting what I needed from there. However now that doesn't even work. Any help...
  10. File Explorer won't open from Taskbar or Start menu.

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer won't open from Taskbar or Start menu.: File Explorer won't open from Taskbar or Start menu and right click on files and folders (In file explorer and on desktop) is not working and causes explorer.exe to freeze. File explorer does open from desktop folder and shortcuts as well as "open file location" in task...