Windows 10: April 1803 update makes file/folder sharing impossible.

Discus and support April 1803 update makes file/folder sharing impossible. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I've been struggling with this issue non-stop since my machines were updated to the April (1803) update whereby Windows completely removed the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by TheJamsh, Oct 31, 2018.

1. TheJamsh Win User

April 1803 update makes file/folder sharing impossible.

I've been struggling with this issue non-stop since my machines were updated to the April (1803) update whereby Windows completely removed the HomeGroup feature.

My two PC's are connected via LAN (through a switch), and prior to this update, I had several folders on each machine which were shared with a HomeGroup I set up on the first PC. This worked perfectly and without fail prior to the update to 1803, and I was able to copy and paste files into and from those folders across the LAN without issue.

Since that update however, I am unable to access any of those shared folders from the other PC. The two PC's still show up under the "Network" category on both machines with their respective names, but clicking on them results in explorer temporarily locking up, then being presented with an unhelpful error message: "Windows cannot access \\pc-name" - this happens every single time, from both machines, no matter how or where I try to approach it.

The icon then temporarily disappears entirely from explorer, before inexplicably reappearing a few seconds later - as if a drive has been taken out and plugged in again. Clearly there is something sinister happening here. I have already checked the running services, ensuring network discovery is on etc, and the folders are shared correctly. Both are also part of the same "Workgroup" - whatever that is.

I have followed every Windows, TomsHardware and YouTube entry on this subject I can find and none of the solutions work. I believe that the old HomeGroup I created is still active and has not been properly removed and cleaned up by the Windows Update, and that is causing a conflict with the new sharing system somehow.

The only reason I know this, is because when I connect a third machine to the network with an older version of windows - it can still see the HomeGroup that I created on the first machine and even gives me the option to join it by entering the password. Surely, that option should no longer exist as the HomeGroup created by the first PC should have been properly cleaned up by the 1803 update.

I am not in a position to be able to format my machines or do a clean reinstall of windows. There must be a tool or method to eradicate the currently active but inaccessible HomeGroup from the first PC.

:)

TheJamsh, Oct 31, 2018
  2. Frogger Win User

?? How do I PW protect Folders in windows

hmmm?
    Sharing files and folders overview You can share the files and folders stored on your computer, on a network, and on the Web. The method you choose depends on whom you want to share files with, and what computer they will use to access the files.

When you share files or folders, they are not as protected as they are when you do not share them. People with access to your computer or your network might be able to read, copy, or change files that are in a shared folder. You should always be aware that the files and folders that you share are available to other people and be sure to monitor your shared files and folders on a regular basis.

Important

If your computer is not joined to a domain, you can use the Network Setup Wizard to automatically turn file and printer sharing on or off. To start the Network Setup Wizard, click Start, click Control Panel, click Network and Internet Connections, and then click Network Setup Wizard.
    If you both use the same computer

You can put the files you want to share in the Shared Documents folder. Files stored in the Shared Documents folder or its subfolders are always available to other users on your computer.

Step-by-step procedure
    Note

If you are connected to a network domain, the Shared Documents, Shared Pictures, and Shared Music folders are not available.
    If both computers are on the same network

You can share a folder or drive on your computer with others on the network. You can also control whether the files in the shared folder can be modified by other users.

If your computer is connected to a network domain, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    If your computer is connected to a workgroup, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    Note

If you are connected to a network domain, you will need to set the Access control for the folder or drive after sharing it. For more information, go to To set, view, change, or remove file and folder permissions.
    If you want to share your files online

You can publish pictures and documents on the Web using the Web Publishing Wizard. The files will be stored in a private, online folder that you manage.

Step-by-step procedure

If you don't want others to access your files

You can prevent other users from accessing your folders and the files they contain. When your computer is connected to a domain, this is called setting permissions for your file or folder. When your computer is connected to a workgroup, this is called making your folders private.

If your computer is connected to a network domain, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    If your computer is connected to a workgroup, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure

'HELP' it can be your friend *Smile April 1803 update makes file/folder sharing impossible. :)

Frogger, Oct 31, 2018
  3. Windows 10 - Homegroup - Cannot share Folders or files + Error 0x80004005 (renaming of folders)

Thanks for getting back, Sanjiv. It seems that the users were not configured to have full control of those folders you want to share. We suggest going into the Advanced settings of your File Explorer and adjust the permissions. Follow these steps:

• Open File Explorer.
    • Locate the folder you want to have full access.
    • Right-click it and select Properties.
    • Click the Security tab.
    • Click Edit to change the permissions.

Once done, try sharing the folders again.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Oct 31, 2018
  4. Guitar Win User

Steam Game Sharing?

Gaming articles on Engadget

This sounds pretty awesome, if true. There are a lot of old games I don't play that I'd be willing to share with friends, and there are some that I'd want to play but not sure about actually buying as well.

Guitar, Oct 31, 2018
Thema:

1. April 1803 update makes file/folder sharing impossible. - Similar Threads - April 1803 update

2. How to make a file impossible to delete?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to make a file impossible to delete?: I have a file on a flash drive and i was wondering if there is anyway i can make so that file is not able to be deleted on ANY computer on windows 10. submitted by /u/man_wif-waluigi-hed [link] [comments]...
  3. file/folder sharing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    file/folder sharing: I am relatively new to Windows 10 and had so much problem setting up a network with Windows 7 and earlier that I think I have a mental block. My apologies. I know there is a tutorial on this but I am a bit confused. I had a networks setup by my local computer shop...
  4. File and folder sharing

in Windows 10 Support
    File and folder sharing: I have a laptop running Widows 7, a Surface Pro and a PC running Widows 10 on a network. All can see each other. All can access each others' libraries through media devices. The PC can access files and folders on the Surface and the laptop, but neither laptop nor Pro can...
  5. Shared folders not accessable using file folder sharing after update?

Shared folders not accessable using file folder sharing after update?: Dear Forum, I like to consider myself pretty tech savvy, and knowledgeable in Windows 10 settings etc. But I am absolutely stumped on this issue. My File & Folder sharing is no longer accessible or even broadcasts over my home private Wi-Fi network, and it was working fine...
  6. Shared folders not accessable using file folder sharing after update?

in Windows 10 Support
    Shared folders not accessable using file folder sharing after update?: Dear Forum, I like to consider myself pretty tech savvy, and knowledgeable in Windows 10 settings etc. But I am absolutely stumped on this issue. My File & Folder sharing is no longer accessible or even broadcasts over my home private Wi-Fi network, and it was working fine...
  7. 1803 not sharing folder

1803 not sharing folder: I am baffled at this new 1803 as when I share folder on my network no PC can see it in Network in explorer. I aware homegroup is gone but how can I share a folder on my network to another windows 10 or 7 PC? I right click folder etc & share there I tried everyone & guest &...
  8. window 10 update april 1803 error

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    window 10 update april 1803 error: sir when we update win 10 april in my pc it's download complete but when it's verify download process then he saw a message error code-0*80070017. please help me sir?...
  9. Sharing files or folders after April 2018

Sharing files or folders after April 2018: I have two windows 10 PC. I want to copy some files from one PC to other by direct sharing. After April 2018 update, there has been some changes though I have not done sharing even before April 2018 also. Can some one tell how to share files from one PC to other. My Both PC...
  10. Cannot Sign In On 1803 April Update

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Cannot Sign In On 1803 April Update: I just updated my build from 1709 (Fall Creator’s) to 1803 (Spring/Redstone 4), and after a lengthy upgrade process, I go to sign in, but can’t... The sign in screen appears normally, and I can enter my PIN or Microsoft Password to sign in. However, signing in with either...