Windows 10: Archiver programs for Linux VM's 7-zip fm

Discus and support Archiver programs for Linux VM's 7-zip fm in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi folks this is a good one for anybody running Linux VM's 7-Zip FM Nice GUI and works like the Windows version - handles almost any archive format -... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, May 5, 2021.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Archiver programs for Linux VM's 7-zip fm

Hi folks this is a good one for anybody running Linux VM's 7-Zip FM Nice GUI and works like the Windows version - handles almost any archive format - if you have the 7-zip program on Wondows thie GUI here is almnost identical. (As with most decent Linux software -- Free of course). (X-archiver is also OK but doesn't handle RAR etc - 7-zip fm is good). Cheers jimbo

:)

jimbo45, May 5, 2021

2. 7 Zip or WinRAR?

The only thing that I don't like about 7-Zip is its Windows 95-vintage graphics. Fortunately, there's a solution for that: 7-Zip Theme Manager.

• Toolbar themes - change the look of the toolbar in 7-Zip.
    • Filetype themes - change the Windows icons for archive files.
    • 90 toolbar themes and 22 filetype themes to choose from.
    • Changing the SFX-icon (self-extracting archive) is now possible.
    Be sure to grab the 2.1.1. Hotfix to mod any version of 7-Zip from 9.23 to the present release (15.12 as of the time of this post).

Static~Charge, May 5, 2021
  3. Superfly Win User
    Recommendation for a file archive, ZIP, RAR etc program please?

Yup!

Yup!

Nope!

7-z on both here...

Superfly, May 5, 2021
  4. RejZoR Win User

7 Zip or WinRAR?

7-zip

It's free, simple, no bloat or nags and has superb compression. LZMA2 is awesome. It can use as many CPU cores as you can offer to the program, meaning it'll provide amazing output rate. In my case even beyond 20MB/s which is lightning fast. Most other archivers take 50x longer (at rates like few hundred KB/s) and only gain 1-2MB better compression with several gigabytes of data. Just not worth the crazy waiting time for such tiny benefits. LZMA2 is fast and has great results.

Also, as a side note, RAR5 format is now also using a derivate of LZ77 compression (basically LZMA), meaning it'll have roughly the same compression, usually a bit worse than LZMA2 in 7-zip.

Oh and 7-zip allows you to create higher compression rate standard ZIP archives. Just ramp up the word size parameter and you'll gain quite some better compression rate while keeping the ZIP compatibility.

There is also alternative named PeaZip. It has a nice interface, supports tons of archives and it's also free. It is a bit quirky sometimes since it's a front end for various archivers...

RejZoR, May 5, 2021
Thema:

1. Archiver programs for Linux VM's 7-zip fm - Similar Threads - Archiver programs Linux

2. Unable to extract any .zip archives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to extract any .zip archives: I recently reinstalled Windows on my computer. After reinstalling I noticed that I cannot extract or open any files stored in zip archives. If I open a zip file I can see the contents but I cannot open the files in the archive. If I try to extract the archive, it create the...
  3. Unable to extract any .zip archives

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to extract any .zip archives: I recently reinstalled Windows on my computer. After reinstalling I noticed that I cannot extract or open any files stored in zip archives. If I open a zip file I can see the contents but I cannot open the files in the archive. If I try to extract the archive, it create the...
  4. Unable to extract any .zip archives

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Fix 7-Zip Cannot open file as archive error on Windows PC

in Windows 10 News
    Fix 7-Zip Cannot open file as archive error on Windows PC: [ATTACH]A compressed version of files, popularly known as zipped files are convenient but also prone to errors. So, when you attempt to open such files using freeware utilities like 7-Zip, you may encounter an error, saying Cannot open file as archive. Let us see what you can...
  6. Zip Archive file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Zip Archive file: How do I unzip a Zip Archive file and make it mp3? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/zip-archive-file/b8bf2df8-678c-4836-9416-e7a15d149299"
  7. Linux VM's - User Desktop Icons for running programs

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Linux VM's - User Desktop Icons for running programs: Hi there Sometimes you might like to have a desktop icon (like Windows) for running an application instead of a generic one. For example - This works on a KDE desktop but similar for GNOME etc - say you want to run an application you've downloaded from the net --I'll...
  8. Internet Radio on Linux VM - Great program - Cantata

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Internet Radio on Linux VM - Great program - Cantata: Hi there If you like Internet Radio and you have a Linux VM (or even a LINUX HOST) there's a great FREE program - CANTATA out there (actually most stuff on Linux is available FREE). You will need a standard Linux GUI though for the program to run. Unlike most programs...
  9. Recommendation for a file archive, ZIP, RAR etc program please?

Recommendation for a file archive, ZIP, RAR etc program please?: Hi All, Anyone please recommend a file compressor software please, other than the one that's built in to Windows 10? Thanks! 63809
  10. 7-Zip 15.09 beta now opens Install.esd archive

7-Zip 15.09 beta now opens Install.esd archive: The Electronic Software Distribution (.esd) file generally replaces the Windows Image file (.wim) format for Windows preview updates, and the decryption required to view the contents has been handled by very few general programs or file managers. Although not documented, I...