Windows 10: Are cookies tracking me?

Discus and support Are cookies tracking me? in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I use Google Chrome but I don't regularly clear my cookies so as a consequence I have a looong list of saved cookies. Is it possible that many of these... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Kol12, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Kol12 Win User

Are cookies tracking me?

I use Google Chrome but I don't regularly clear my cookies so as a consequence I have a looong list of saved cookies. Is it possible that many of these sites that I don't even regularly visit are still tracking my web browsing? Should I consider clearing my cookies and making a whitelist?

:)

Kol12, Oct 5, 2016
  2. BrianNel Win User

Tracking cookies

Over the past few months , a plethora of tracking cookies has appeared on the web! Even some fairly innocuous sites which I occasionally visited over many years have started dumping tracking cookies on my pc! What is happening? AVG quarantines these cookies
    as minor threats. Is there some way to prevent these cookies being dumped on my pc? It is a nuisance! Thanks guys

BrianNel, Oct 5, 2016
  3. quietman7 - MVP, Oct 5, 2016
  4. Samuria Win User

Are cookies tracking me?

Cookies are mainly used to make life simpler for you a its stores on your pc not the server your preferences for the site so you dont have to enter info every time you visit they are not normally any problem delete them and you may have to answer question again on your next visit or set thing up again depending on the site

Samuria, Oct 5, 2016
  5. Cliff S New Member
    Cliff S, Oct 5, 2016
  6. Kol12 Win User
    Quite a lot to know about cookies. What are the main ones to be security conscious of? Third party tracking cookies? I'm using the Disconnect extension that minimizes cookie tracking I believe...

At this stage, for someone who hasn't cleared cookies in a long time is it good practice to do so every now an then?

Kol12, Oct 8, 2016
  7. Cliff S New Member
    That really depends on you internet habits.
    If you pretty much just go to the same sites, all the time and trust them, you don't need to worry about it, as the next time you go any where, they will be back/recreated.

Being that I use Ccleaner I just save/whitelist the cookies from sites I frequent by moving them to the right side, such as Ten Forums and ALL Microsoft's sites and services, and leave the ones I do not want or need on the left side, to be deleted when I finally run the cleaner.

Are cookies tracking me? [​IMG]

Cliff S, Oct 8, 2016
  8. Kol12 Win User

Are cookies tracking me?

What are the cookies that ccleaner lists on the left side to be whitelisted? There's no where near the amount of cookies shown here as I actually have stored in my browser.

Kol12, Oct 8, 2016
  9. Cliff S New Member
    Ccleaner shows cookies for all the installed browsers it recognizes, in my case Edge, IE11, Firefox, and Chrome.
    All new cookies are on the left and will be deleted when I run Ccleaner, unless, I move them to the right side to save them.

Here is a list of the ones I prefer to keep(you will notice the majority have to do with Windows & Microsoft:

Code: #AppContainer 2.bing.com 2016_MicrosoftOfficeOnline_8wekyb3d8bbwe C:\WINDOWS\help\mui\0409\mmc.chm:: a.config.skype.com a.lw.skype.com a4.bing.com account.live account.live.com account.microsoft account.microsoft.com accounts.firefox.com accounts.google.com addons.cdn.mozilla.net addons.mozilla.org amd.com answers.microsoft answers.microsoft.com api.accounts.firefox.com api.bing.com api.skype.com apis.google.com apps.skypeassets.com archive.org asm.skype.com bambit.kabel-email bambit.kabel-email.de bay04.calendar.live bay406-m.hotmail.com bing.com bing.com/rewards bleepingcomputer.com blocklist.addons.mozilla.org blog.malwarebytes blog.malwarebytes.org blog.malwarebytesQTQAN14W blogs.microsoft blogs.microsoft.com blogs.skype blogs.skype.com blogs.windows blogs.windows.com blogs.windows.com/windows buildfeed buildfeed.net c.bing.com c.live.com c.microsoft.com c.microsoftstore.com c.msn.com c1.microsoft c1.microsoft.com c1.skype.com calendar.google calendar.google.com calendar.google.com/calendar calendar.live.com channel9.msdn channel9.msdn.com chrome.google.com clients5.google.com community.office365.com community.skype community.skype.com community.skype.com/realtime/notification community.spiceworks.com controls.cp.microsoft controls.cp.microsoft.com cyberghostvpn.com designermedia.com dev.windows.com developer.microsoft developer.microsoft.com discovery.addons.mozilla.org docs.google.com dps.bing.com drive.google.com dub117.mail.live education.microsoft education.microsoft.com eightforums.com en.wikipedia en.wikipedia.org excel.officeapps.live excel.officeapps.live.com excel.officeapps.live.com/x/_layouts feedbackhub.link foreca.com forum.piriform.com forums.malwarebytes forums.malwarebytes.org fpt.microsoft fritz.box gifmaker.me gizmodo gizmodo.com gmic gmic.eu gmic.sourceforge gmic.sourceforge.net go.microsoft.com google.com google.com/settings google.de google.de/verify googleusercontent.com gwallet.com h.bing.com h.live.com hangouts.google hangouts.google.com heartbeat.skype.com helpdesk.kdgforum.de howtogeek.com ieonline.microsoft.com intel.com java.com knowledgebase.macrium knowledgebase.macrium.com kundenportal.bambit.de lenovo.com live.com login.live login.live.com login.skype.com login.ubuntu.com lw.skype.com macrium.com mail.google mail.google.com mail.google.com/mail mail.google.com/mail/u/0 mail.live.com majorgeeks.com malwarebytes.com malwarebytes.org mediastream.microsoft microsoft-news.com microsoft.com microsoftedgetips.microsoft microsoftstore.com mozilla.org msdn.com msdn.microsoft msdn.microsoft.com msn.com myaccount.google.com mywot.com news.google.com news.microsoft news.microsoft.com news.softpedia news.softpedia.com notification.adblockplus.org oauth.accounts.firefox.com office.com office365.com onedrive.live onedrive.live.com onedrive.uservoice.com onenote.com onenote.officeapps.live.com onenote.officeapps.live.com/o onlinestores.metaservices.microsoft.com/serviceswitching outlook.live.com outlook.live.com/owa ox-d.majorgeeks.com people.directory.live people.live.com picpick.org piriform.com plugins.mozilla.org plus.google plus.google.com polarity.boards.net polarityweb.weebly polarityweb.weebly.com profile.accounts.firefox.com profile.live.com profile.microsoft.com samsung.com secure.flashtalking secure.skype secure.skype.com security.google security.google.com self-repair.mozilla.org services.addons.mozilla.org sevenforums.com skype.com skypewebexperience.live.com social.msdn.microsoft.com social.technet.microsoft social.technet.microsoft.com softpedia.com sourceforge sourceforge.net speedtest.net ssl.bing.com store.malwarebytes.org store.office.com stores.office stores.office.com support.amd support.amd.com support.cdn.mozilla.net support.google.com support.lenovo support.lenovo.com support.microsoft support.microsoft.com support.mozilla support.mozilla.org support.office support.office.com support.office.microsoft support.office.microsoft.com support.office.microsoft.com/client support.skype.com support2.microsoft.com sway sway.com technet.microsoft technet.microsoft.com techreport.com tenforums.com tweaking.com ubuntuforums.org userstyles userstyles.org uservoice.com virustotal.com vlscppe.microsoft.com vodafone-affiliate.de vodafone.de web.skype web.skype.com web.vortex.data.microsoft winaero windows.com windows.microsoft.com windowssearch.com www.amd.com www.bing.com www.bleepingcomputer.com www.eightforums.com www.google.com www.google.de www.googleapis.com www.howtogeek.com www.intel.com www.libreoffice.org www.macrium.com www.malwarebytes.org www.malwarebytes.org/antiexploit www.microsoft www.microsoft.com www.microsoft.com/en-us www.microsoftstore.com www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_us/cat/windows www.microsofttranslator.com www.mozilla.org www.msn.com www.msn.com/spartan www.mywot.com www.office.com www.onenote.com www.sevenforums.com www.skype.com www.softpedia.com www.speedtest.net www.stadt.bamberg.de www.stadtwerke-bamberg.de www.tenforums.com www.tweaking.com www.virustotal.com www.wikipedia.org www.windowssearch.com www.youtube.com youtube.com ~~local~~/f:/downloads[/quote]

Cliff S, Oct 8, 2016
  10. Kol12 Win User
    I thought I could go through the list of locally stored cookies through Chrome's settings (which is a lot) delete the ones I don't want and also use that as a reference for sites I want to whitelist...

I'm mainly worried about any third party tracking cookies that could be active, I've now started using the Disconnect extension which I believe prevents third party tracking all together?

What is the difference between the ones that say cookie/s and the Local Storage ones?

Kol12, Oct 12, 2016
  11. Cliff S New Member
    Deleting cookies manually? You do realise? the next time you go on the net and click around, many will be back?

See these sites:

All About Computer Cookies - Session Cookies, Persistent Cookies,How to Enable/Disable/Manage Cookies

What are Internet Cookies and What Do Cookies Do? - Webopedia.com

http://www.cookiecentral.com/cm002.htm

Cliff S, Oct 12, 2016
  12. Kol12 Win User
    @Cliff S Ok so that would be a waste of time. Instead I could use the list as a reference for the sites I want to whitelist and make a whitelist in either Ccleaner or Chrome.

The main point is, is there a risk of third party tracking or unwanted cookies from all of the one off or random sites that we visit by letting cookies accumulate?

Kol12, Oct 12, 2016
  13. Cliff S New Member

Are cookies tracking me?

If you turn them off in your browser, no.

Cliff S, Oct 12, 2016
  14. Kol12 Win User
    I saw this option the other day and enabled it but a lot of websites were complaining about something, I can't remember what exactly so I'll have to try it again.

Apart from the trackers cookies are pretty harmless aren't they? I mean the data is only stored on our computers and only readable by the connected website if we visit it again right?

Kol12, Oct 12, 2016
  15. Kol12 Win User
    This is the pop up I get when enabling the block third party cookies. Is this referring solely to third party cookies?

Kol12, Oct 12, 2016
Thema:

Are cookies tracking me?

1. Are cookies tracking me? - Similar Threads - Are cookies tracking

2. How do I keep Microsoft from setting tracking cookies

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I keep Microsoft from setting tracking cookies: How do I lock my windows 10 registry to keep MS from setting tracking cookies. I know how to delete them, I want to know how STOP MICROSOFT FROM PUTTING UNWANTED STUFF ON MY MACHINE EVERY GODDAMN DAY. How do I lock my registry?...
  3. How do I keep Microsoft from setting tracking cookies

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How do I keep Microsoft from setting tracking cookies: How do I lock my windows 10 registry to keep MS from setting tracking cookies. I know how to delete them, I want to know how STOP MICROSOFT FROM PUTTING UNWANTED STUFF ON MY MACHINE EVERY GODDAMN DAY. How do I lock my registry?...
  4. How do I keep Microsoft from setting tracking cookies

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Windows tracking me

Windows tracking me: I downloaded the new windows update and a new window popped up in the bottom of my screen, with weather, news and so on.Running around i found out that the option "always track my position" is on, while i definetly set my pc so that location is always off and nobody can track...
  6. Does Windows Defender remove tracking cookies?

Does Windows Defender remove tracking cookies?: My Norton Lifelock removes tracking cookies periodically. I'm seriously thinking of ditching Norton in favor of Defender, but I need a way to automatically identify tracking cookies so I can remove them. 178520
  7. New Chromium Edge installs tracking cookie ScoreCardResearch

New Chromium Edge installs tracking cookie ScoreCardResearch: Hi there, I decided to come here ask for help, because i'm sick of trying to solve this. Everytime i open Edge Chromium, it installs this tracking cookie. Thanks god my security software deletes it in every scan, but i have to scan everytime i restart edge. This is...
  8. Huge increase in tracking cookies caused by Win10

Huge increase in tracking cookies caused by Win10: My SUPERAntispyware (free) seems to do a better job than Norton at blocking tracking cookies. It blocked 7 or 8 a day on average on my Win7. It's just stopped 257 that have arrived in the past TWO days on my new Win10. Nearly everyone had the name Microsoft in its title....
  9. Tracking Cookies

Tracking Cookies: I am running ASC Internet Security, it finds 4 x tracking cookies every time it runs, 3 in IE and now one in FF too (just installed). It says it has 'fixed' them but they are there next scan. I also have spywareblaster running in the background, it cant see them at all. I...
  10. cookies???

in Browsers and Email
    cookies???: Running W10, (mostly) using Chrome browser. How do I delete cookies? Thanks in advance 45492