Windows 10: Are cookies tracking me?

Discus and support Are cookies tracking me? in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; You shouldn't worry about it. If you allow tenforums to store cookies it will allow you to sign on and post without putting you password every time.... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Kol12, Oct 5, 2016.

1. lx07 Win User

Are cookies tracking me?

You shouldn't worry about it.

If you allow tenforums to store cookies it will allow you to sign on and post without putting you password every time. I find this helpful.

It is possible of course that website x could store a cookie and website z could check it exists. Or you could get a worse price for an airline ticket as you looked for it last week and they think you are desperate. In that case you should just open a new "in private" session and see if it is cheaper.

On the whole allowing cookies is better than the alternative. At least I think so anyway.

2. Cliff S New Member

Those are NOT a 3rd party cookies.
    That are the cookies Ten Forums needs/uses to sign you in, and when you navigate around, showing you, that you have already been somewhere and red a thread, or not, by changing the font from bold(Not Read) to Normal(Read):

Are cookies tracking me? [​IMG]

These cookies are needed for your information, web site navigation, and easy use of the forums.
    Plus the next time you visit, they will be added again anyhow.

Cliff S, Oct 12, 2016
  3. Kol12 Win User
    Why do I get this popup only after enabling the "block third party cookies and site data" option?

Kol12, Oct 12, 2016
  4. jimbo45 Win User

Are cookies tracking me?

Hi there

Go into IE and switch on DEBUG mode.
    Now just browse any page and you can see the number of links accessed before you arrive at the final destination.

In IE press F12 to get to debug screen. Not sure if Edge can do it.

Are cookies tracking me? [​IMG]

Most users would be HORRIFIED at the amount of FREE data Google collects on you.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Oct 12, 2016
  5. Cliff S New Member
    It's hard to put what I want to say in writing, without sounding like a jerk or sarcastic, believe me, I don't mean it that way:

You need to read through those sites I posted links to, about cookies and local storage.

Cookies have gotten a bad name mostly from the European Tin Foil Hat Brigade.

99.999% of the cookies are there to improve your browsing experience, and not "spy" on you, as in the sense of your data as an individual.
    There are site tracking cookies necessary to maneuver within a site, that also collect information on how long you spent on a specific page, or in the forums in total, what you used on the site, so the owner can adjust his site for a better user experience.
    The data collected, even when signed in, is usually anonymous, and is sent to a program the computes the total traffic data.

Then there are the cookies that follow you if you are part of a social network such as Facebook(the share icons)

Some cookies such as google ads, statsDoubleClick, DoubleClick...etc. are there to see what you are interested in, where you have been to personalize ads. This way I get ads about PC oriented stuff, software/hardware, instead of about cars, houses insurances and other junk that doesn't interest me.
    I find them useful and nothing to be paranoid about.

If you are worried about being tracked, there will be nothing I can say, that will ease your fears, I can only say it's a decision each needs to make for themselves, and they should study up about them, from as many different sources as they can find.

Cliff S, Oct 12, 2016
  6. Cliff S New Member
    Thanks Kari*Smile

Cliff S, Oct 12, 2016
  7. Kol12 Win User
    @Cliff S That is no problem. I will read up more on the subject to get a better understanding to decide for myself. Thanks.

Kol12, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Are cookies tracking me?

1. Are cookies tracking me? - Similar Threads - Are cookies tracking

2. How do I keep Microsoft from setting tracking cookies

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I keep Microsoft from setting tracking cookies: How do I lock my windows 10 registry to keep MS from setting tracking cookies. I know how to delete them, I want to know how STOP MICROSOFT FROM PUTTING UNWANTED STUFF ON MY MACHINE EVERY GODDAMN DAY. How do I lock my registry?...
  3. How do I keep Microsoft from setting tracking cookies

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How do I keep Microsoft from setting tracking cookies: How do I lock my windows 10 registry to keep MS from setting tracking cookies. I know how to delete them, I want to know how STOP MICROSOFT FROM PUTTING UNWANTED STUFF ON MY MACHINE EVERY GODDAMN DAY. How do I lock my registry?...
  4. How do I keep Microsoft from setting tracking cookies

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Windows tracking me

Windows tracking me: I downloaded the new windows update and a new window popped up in the bottom of my screen, with weather, news and so on.Running around i found out that the option "always track my position" is on, while i definetly set my pc so that location is always off and nobody can track...
  6. Does Windows Defender remove tracking cookies?

Does Windows Defender remove tracking cookies?: My Norton Lifelock removes tracking cookies periodically. I'm seriously thinking of ditching Norton in favor of Defender, but I need a way to automatically identify tracking cookies so I can remove them. 178520
  7. New Chromium Edge installs tracking cookie ScoreCardResearch

New Chromium Edge installs tracking cookie ScoreCardResearch: Hi there, I decided to come here ask for help, because i'm sick of trying to solve this. Everytime i open Edge Chromium, it installs this tracking cookie. Thanks god my security software deletes it in every scan, but i have to scan everytime i restart edge. This is...
  8. Huge increase in tracking cookies caused by Win10

Huge increase in tracking cookies caused by Win10: My SUPERAntispyware (free) seems to do a better job than Norton at blocking tracking cookies. It blocked 7 or 8 a day on average on my Win7. It's just stopped 257 that have arrived in the past TWO days on my new Win10. Nearly everyone had the name Microsoft in its title....
  9. Tracking Cookies

Tracking Cookies: I am running ASC Internet Security, it finds 4 x tracking cookies every time it runs, 3 in IE and now one in FF too (just installed). It says it has 'fixed' them but they are there next scan. I also have spywareblaster running in the background, it cant see them at all. I...
  10. cookies???

in Browsers and Email
    cookies???: Running W10, (mostly) using Chrome browser. How do I delete cookies? Thanks in advance 45492