Are Hardlinks Always Better than Shortcuts? If so, why use shortcuts?

Discus and support Are Hardlinks Always Better than Shortcuts? If so, why use shortcuts? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This question must have been answered already but I couldn't seem to find it. Maybe it's just too simple of a question. Sorry if this is the case... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by CerebralFreeze, Jun 30, 2018.

1. CerebralFreeze Win User

This question must have been answered already but I couldn't seem to find it. Maybe it's just too simple of a question. Sorry if this is the case because I'm not an IT guy and some of my questions seems very newbish.

Should I always use hardlinks instead of shortcuts?

If I use shortcuts, if the target folder or file is moved, the shortcut gets busted and I don't know where the new target went.

However, if I use hardlinks, even if I move the target folder or file, the link still remains intact.

So, is there a reason why I should never use hardlinks all the time?

:)

CerebralFreeze, Jun 30, 2018
  2. Mussels Win User

Shortcut problems

looots of questions: no, they worked normally and then it screwed up after a BSOD.

Shortcuts THEMSELVES work, its merely that say... right clicking, choosing new -> shortcut doesnt. thats how i make them, so its driving me nuts that it doesnt work.

I'm not really interested in other methods, i can do those - its just the new->shortcut menu problem.

i dont mean websites, i mean shortcuts to anything - i MAKE the shortcuts via this method, so its P*ssing me off that i have to do it alternative ways.

Mussels, Jun 30, 2018
  3. terrace Win User
    Screensaver shortcut

I did this"
    Search Results

I would suggest you to try the following steps and check if that helps.

• Go to the folder C:\Windows\System32 and sort by file type.
    • Look for the screensaver file type (.scr).
    • Find the file scrnsave.scr(you can choose any of the screensavers).
    • Right click and select send to>desktop (create shortcut). The shortcut on my attachment, but when i click on it my screen goes off and on and nothing else.Are Hardlinks Always Better than Shortcuts?  If so, why use shortcuts? :)

terrace, Jun 30, 2018
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 commands/shortcuts/env. var.

I didn't see on your list using Win-X to bring up the basic setup of system tools like the original control panel, easy access to device manager, etc. not technically a list of commands, but at least a shortcut *Smile Are Hardlinks Always Better than Shortcuts?  If so, why use shortcuts? :)

Ahhzz, Jun 30, 2018
Thema:

1. Are Hardlinks Always Better than Shortcuts? If so, why use shortcuts? - Similar Threads - Are Hardlinks Always

2. Login PIN, I want to use the long very secure password I always have. How do i do this...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Login PIN, I want to use the long very secure password I always have. How do i do this...: I like that there is another step to secure my account. But I do not want to use the PIN for my login. I want to use the password. If the 'update' to security is, 'make the user remember another password/pin' then that's just f****** lazy. I want to keep the PIN as a...
  3. Create and email pdf always wants to print it too?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Create and email pdf always wants to print it too?: Not sure if this is the right place to put this... Feel free to move it if needed. We just updated a work pc to Ten from Seven. When we try to create and email a pdf from a program called Printers Plan it always starts to print it too. We temporarily uninstalled the printer,...
  4. After install, 1st boot always fails, retry succeeds

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    After install, 1st boot always fails, retry succeeds: I recently purchased a Dell Latitude E6430, which is exhibiting a rather odd problem. I removed the included 5400RPM 500GB hard drive and replaced it with an SSD. The first Windows 10 installation attempt failed with a message to the effect that there were no bootable...
  5. Are Windows 10 Updates Always A Massive Failure?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Are Windows 10 Updates Always A Massive Failure?: The April update nearly bricked my PC causing me to have to entirely reinstall Windows and now this update (KB4284835) wastes 20 minutes of my day, every day, only to get "We couldn't complete the updates...Undoing changes". I've had to resort to using an app to stop...
  6. My drives are always changing. My lightroom master is suppose to be on F drive; My Backup...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My drives are always changing. My lightroom master is suppose to be on F drive; My Backup...: My lightroom master is suppose to be on F drive; My Backup drive is suppose to be on H drive but they keep changing. Is there any way to fix this....
  7. cryptsvc is always turned on automatically whenever catroot2 folder is touched (deletion or...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    cryptsvc is always turned on automatically whenever catroot2 folder is touched (deletion or...: Hello MS experts, I hit a very strange problem when I tried to rename catroot2 folder (because windows update 1803 hits the problem time to time, cannot be installed). as people suggested, i first turned off cryptsvc and window update service via command line or via...
  8. PC always freezing in every where,

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC always freezing in every where,: I have Windows 10 pro 64 bit. my windows version 1803 ( OS build 17134.137 ). Any action I doing , the Pc freeze . every 30 second freeze from 3:4 Mints. Pc configuration : processor intel I7-8700k..Vega card Nvidia 1080ti 11G.. Ram 32 DDR4 pass 3200 .HD1 SSD 500G .. HD2...
  9. Win 10 PC not always detecting Mic In devices [audio problems 1]

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Win 10 PC not always detecting Mic In devices [audio problems 1]: Win 10 x64 Dell Inspiron desktop PC When I plug in a stereo plug into the Mic In on the back of the case _usually_ I get a pop up prompt of: "What did you plug in: Microphone or [something] sound center?" with Microphone already ticked so all I need to do is click OK. I am...
  10. System protection always turns on

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System protection always turns on: Whenever I turn if off, it is turned on after several days, and the mac usage will become 100%. I am running low of SSD storage. How to keep it disabled?*cry 112861