Windows 10: Are Hardlinks Always Better than Shortcuts? If so, why use shortcuts?

Discus and support Are Hardlinks Always Better than Shortcuts? If so, why use shortcuts? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This question must have been answered already but I couldn't seem to find it. Maybe it's just too simple of a question. Sorry if this is the case... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by CerebralFreeze, Jun 30, 2018.

1. Are Hardlinks Always Better than Shortcuts? If so, why use shortcuts?

This question must have been answered already but I couldn't seem to find it. Maybe it's just too simple of a question. Sorry if this is the case because I'm not an IT guy and some of my questions seems very newbish.

Should I always use hardlinks instead of shortcuts?

If I use shortcuts, if the target folder or file is moved, the shortcut gets busted and I don't know where the new target went.

However, if I use hardlinks, even if I move the target folder or file, the link still remains intact.

So, is there a reason why I should never use hardlinks all the time?

:)

CerebralFreeze, Jun 30, 2018
  2. Mussels Win User

Shortcut problems

looots of questions: no, they worked normally and then it screwed up after a BSOD.

Shortcuts THEMSELVES work, its merely that say... right clicking, choosing new -> shortcut doesnt. thats how i make them, so its driving me nuts that it doesnt work.

I'm not really interested in other methods, i can do those - its just the new->shortcut menu problem.

i dont mean websites, i mean shortcuts to anything - i MAKE the shortcuts via this method, so its P*ssing me off that i have to do it alternative ways.

Mussels, Jun 30, 2018
  3. terrace Win User
    Screensaver shortcut

I did this"
    Search Results

I would suggest you to try the following steps and check if that helps.

• Go to the folder C:\Windows\System32 and sort by file type.
    • Look for the screensaver file type (.scr).
    • Find the file scrnsave.scr(you can choose any of the screensavers).
    • Right click and select send to>desktop (create shortcut). The shortcut on my attachment, but when i click on it my screen goes off and on and nothing else.Are Hardlinks Always Better than Shortcuts?  If so, why use shortcuts? :)

terrace, Jun 30, 2018
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Are Hardlinks Always Better than Shortcuts? If so, why use shortcuts?

Windows 10 commands/shortcuts/env. var.

I didn't see on your list using Win-X to bring up the basic setup of system tools like the original control panel, easy access to device manager, etc. not technically a list of commands, but at least a shortcut *Smile Are Hardlinks Always Better than Shortcuts?  If so, why use shortcuts? :)

Ahhzz, Jun 30, 2018
Thema:

Are Hardlinks Always Better than Shortcuts? If so, why use shortcuts?

1. Are Hardlinks Always Better than Shortcuts? If so, why use shortcuts? - Similar Threads - Are Hardlinks Always

2. Why are custom Keyboard Shortcuts, for Desktop Shortcuts, so slow to execute?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why are custom Keyboard Shortcuts, for Desktop Shortcuts, so slow to execute?: It takes at least 2-3 seconds for my applications to open when pressing a custom Keyboard Shortcut I configure for Desktop Shortcuts.This issue is recurrent on 3 computers I use Windows 10.I've read multiple articles, forums and posts but I haven't found any useful...
  3. Why are custom Keyboard Shortcuts, for Desktop Shortcuts, so slow to execute?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why are custom Keyboard Shortcuts, for Desktop Shortcuts, so slow to execute?: It takes at least 2-3 seconds for my applications to open when pressing a custom Keyboard Shortcut I configure for Desktop Shortcuts.This issue is recurrent on 3 computers I use Windows 10.I've read multiple articles, forums and posts but I haven't found any useful...
  4. Why are custom Keyboard Shortcuts, for Desktop Shortcuts, so slow to execute?

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. The item that this shortcut refers to has been changed or moved, so this shortcut will no...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    The item that this shortcut refers to has been changed or moved, so this shortcut will no...: i recently installed winrar and whenever i try to open it, it comes up with that message. im not sure how to fix it and i have tried deleting and reinstalling winrar but it makes no difference and still comes up with the same issue, does anyone know how to fix it so i can...
  6. "Problem with shortcut"- this shortcut has been changed or moved so this shorcut will no...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Problem with shortcut"- this shortcut has been changed or moved so this shorcut will no...: Any help would be greatly appreciated. Been playing a game for the past couple weeks and today i received an error message when i tried to open the desktop shortcut. "The item, that has this shortcut refers to has been changed or moved, so this shortcut will no longer...
  7. The item that this shortcut refers to has been changed or moved, so this shortcut will no...

The item that this shortcut refers to has been changed or moved, so this shortcut will no...: I was working on a word document. I saved and went to reopen when I received this error message. Is there any way to retrieve this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-item-that-this-shortcut-refers-to-has-been/91ca19b1-21a3-47ea-a9d8-2099c4bee19f"
  8. Desktop shortcuts vs desktop files - which is better?

Desktop shortcuts vs desktop files - which is better?: Just wondering? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-shortcuts-vs-desktop-files-which-is-better/8597bf1a-d39b-4750-a2e3-d9a195a329c1"
  9. Make a Shortcut Always Run as a Administrator

in Windows 10 Customization
    Make a Shortcut Always Run as a Administrator: How do you make a shortcut (on my desktop) always Run as a Administrator ? Thanks for any help with this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_desk/make-a-shortcut-always-run-as-a-administrator/c09bf487-952b-4a51-80ed-732ac96ea3b2
  10. A shortcut to the shortcut wizard

in Windows 10 Support
    A shortcut to the shortcut wizard: Hi y'all ! I think we all know how to create a shortcut ? (Right click > New > Shortcut > Create Shortcut (wizard) But is there anyone out there who knows how to create a desktop shortcut to the Create shortcut (wizard) ? Amongst all the wonderful pages on this site...