Windows 10: Are shared documents and files removed from PC if one account deleted?

Discus and support Are shared documents and files removed from PC if one account deleted? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Due to a series of previous problems involving profiles/accounts, I now have my documents, photos, and music and video files in three different places:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Florio, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Florio Win User

Are shared documents and files removed from PC if one account deleted?

Due to a series of previous problems involving profiles/accounts, I now have my documents, photos, and music and video files in three different places:
    • Documents and Settings
    • C:\Users\Person A
    • C:\Users\Person B.
    If I now get rid of one of the two user profiles/accounts (both are Administrators), do I risk losing all of my documents and files?

:)

Florio, Dec 29, 2017

2. windows 10 Surface Book

The documents folder under My PC is generally default unless you've signed into Windows with a Microsoft account and signed into One Drive. If so, the One Drive documents folder will then become default. It will sync and save any documents previously in
    the My PC documents folder, then everything from there on will be saved in the One Drive documents folder. As for the documents under Users, there are 2. Public documents, which is what it sounds like and should not be used unless you wish to share the documents
    with other users on your PC, and the user documents folder, which is just another way to access the My PC documents.

AmberRiley, Dec 29, 2017
  3. garym123 Win User
    When will I be able to directly upload PDF files in an email?

I use Microsoft pdf reader.

Documents on my PC I want to share from my phone when needed. There is a OneDrive for PC software that adds your OneDrive to windows explorer. Paste the document to One Drive. It doesn't need to be in a folder..

Office documents attached in emails. Office documents you open that are attached to emails you receive are saved in Office, places, email opened email attachments. This is default, if you open them they are
    saved.

Pdf files as email attachments. In the email, hold the tap on the file, select save, go to your pdf reader library, hold the tap on the file and select share, tap share on the next page and it is loaded to
    OneDrive.

To share what you have from Office. Tap and hold on the document or pdf and select share. The file location can be in documents on your phone, opened email attachments or OneDrive. Pdf files will be in OneDrive.

garym123, Dec 29, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Florio, *Smile

It depends on where the files are actually saved at.

If the files are located in "C:\Users\Person A" and you delete the account and profile folder for "Person A", then those files will get deleted. If you delete "Person B", then files in "C:\Users\Person A" will not be affected.

To be safe, I would recommend to keep a backup of any files you want to keep on a separate hard drive than what Windows is installed on.

Brink, Dec 29, 2017
  5. Florio Win User
    Thanks for replying, Brink. *Smile

My files are saved in both user accounts as well as in Documents and Settings, so I should be pretty safe if I delete one of the user accounts. I do have back up on a separate hard drive, but I'd prefer not to have to reinstall everything again.

Florio, Dec 29, 2017
  6. Florio Win User
    Hi Brink.

First of all, happy New Year. *Party

Yesterday I deleted the account C:\Users\Person A. Towards the end of the deletion process I was told that a couple of the files I wanted to eliminate were system files and it was better not to touch them. So I didn't. This meant that the account was not completely removed from my computer or from File Explorer. To keep things tidy, I 'hid' the name of that account.

Everything seemed to be running perfectly until I had the brilliant idea of changing the name of the remaining user profile (Person B). I followed your tutorials on changing the name and of enabling an elevated Administrator account (all very simple and straight forward), but when I got to the part of renaming the profile in File Explorer, I ran into problems: the new name I'd chosen was the same as that of the account I'd (incompletely) deleted and then hidden (C:\Users\Person A). I hadn't taken into account the fact that there was an account with that name, albeit hidden, on my computer.

I was asked if I wanted to substitute the old account with the new one, and I clicked on yes. I noticed that files like AppData were being trasferred. So I stopped the substitution. I 'unhid' the old Person A account and saw that my documents had already been moved across to it. I moved them back to Person B. I then went back and restored the original user profle name for Person B.

Anyway, the upshot of all of this is that now I cannot access my account (Person B). I get a message saying:
    We can’t sign into your account.This problem can often be fixed by signing out of your account and then signing back in. If you don’t sign out now, any files you create or changes you make will be lost.” *cry

I've seen a couple of webpages that offer solutions to this problem, but I wanted to ask your advice. Hope you can lend me a hand.

Cheers,

Florio, Dec 31, 2017
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Dec 31, 2017
  8. Florio Win User

Thanks for your reply, Brink.

I'm just a little confused as to which account is the temporary one, as I don't actually receive a message saying "You've been signed in with a temporary account'" (only the “We can’t sign into your account.This problem can often be fixed by signing out of your account and then signing back in. If you don’t sign out now, any files you create or changes you make will be lost.”

Is the elevated Administrator account temporary? That's the one that comes on when I run the command prompt. Obviously it is the other account that I cannot get into.

Florio, Dec 31, 2017
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    The temp account would be the one that you get the error message you posted when you sign in to it.

Brink, Dec 31, 2017
  10. Florio Win User
    No joy, I'm afraid. I did remove the .bak extension, but I still cannot access my account. I don't really understand what's going on here, and am starting to panic! *Eek Do you have any other suggestions?

NavyLCDR posted a reply to my query at can no longer access my Windows 10 account... - Windows 10 Forums. What do you think?

I have already enabled the built-in elevated Administrator, but not at Boot, but the computer does boot up okay, and I get to see the log-in screen.

Florio, Dec 31, 2017
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Just to confirm, did you do all the steps in the tutorial, and make sure the SID for your account has the correct path for the ProfileImagePath value?

Brink, Dec 31, 2017
  12. Florio Win User
    Yes, I followed your instructions to the letter, Brink. That's why I was finding it difficult to understand what was going on.

Anyway, I've just started creating another new profile according to NavyLCDR's guidelines. So far so good, but I'm getting bogged down in personalising things like my email account with Outlook and browser favourites etc.

Florio, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Are shared documents and files removed from PC if one account deleted? - Similar Threads - Are shared documents

2. removing onedrive account deletes all documents and photos files from my pc will not restore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    removing onedrive account deletes all documents and photos files from my pc will not restore: windows 10 reinstall apparently created a onedrive account and started sending my files to the cloud. When I discovered this and deleted onedrive from the PC and closed the onedrive account following instructions on microsoft support site, it also deleted all the files in the...
  3. removing onedrive account deletes all documents and photos files from my pc will not restore

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    removing onedrive account deletes all documents and photos files from my pc will not restore: windows 10 reinstall apparently created a onedrive account and started sending my files to the cloud. When I discovered this and deleted onedrive from the PC and closed the onedrive account following instructions on microsoft support site, it also deleted all the files in the...
  4. removing onedrive account deletes all documents and photos files from my pc will not restore

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. If I remove the account from the PC are the files removed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    If I remove the account from the PC are the files removed: I have 2 login accounts in my PC and I want to remove one of them. What happens to the files? Will they also be removed? If not, where will they be stored?...
  6. If I remove the account from the PC are the files removed

If I remove the account from the PC are the files removed: I have 2 login accounts in my PC and I want to remove one of them. What happens to the files? Will they also be removed? If not, where will they be stored?...
  7. If I remove the account from the PC are the files removed

in User Accounts and Family Safety
  8. How to delete documents from a deleted account?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to delete documents from a deleted account?: I recently delete a local account without delete its files. And those files occupy too large space of my storage. I want to delete them, but I couldn't find the address of those files, as no more information shown on Setting but the data of storage used by "other people"....
  9. How to delete documents from a deleted account?

How to delete documents from a deleted account?: I recently delete a local account without delete its files. And those files occupy too large space of my storage. I want to delete them, but I couldn't find the address of those files, as no more information shown on Setting but the data of storage used by "other people"....
  10. delete/remove a document from wordpad?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    delete/remove a document from wordpad?: How to remove a single document from the 'recent documents' list in windows 10 wordpad? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/deleteremove-a-document-from-wordpad/4d2ef8ce-6a38-4f59-9985-291e2b58f9a2