Windows 10: Are there any alternatives to the Start Menu?

Discus and support Are there any alternatives to the Start Menu? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I love having my icons available but recently I've clicked on Auto-Hide taskbar and positioned it on the left side of the screen. it's great having... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/LopsidedIdeal, Apr 1, 2020.

1. Are there any alternatives to the Start Menu?

I love having my icons available but recently I've clicked on Auto-Hide taskbar and positioned it on the left side of the screen. it's great having that extra clean space but it has it's issues like not always auto-hiding and staying open and when I've moved the mouse away and the animation is just crap, looks like 15FPS on a 144hz screen.

When I put it on the left or right or even the top the issues persist and when I'm browsing the internet or anything else, having the minimize and exit buttons covered up by the taskbar or having my favourites bar taken up isn't ideal.

It seems to me that this start menu bar could be massively improved and integrated better but Microsoft is so behind on everything and usually there's someone else who's made it better.

Is there any alternative to this?

submitted by /u/LopsidedIdeal
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/LopsidedIdeal, Apr 1, 2020

2. Windows 10 Start menu is empty

Hi. Steps 1 and 2 didn't do much but step 3 has restored what looks like the list of original Microsoft apps but no sign of any of the many apps I have installed. And there are no tiles in the start menu. Any suggestions please?

LesGrant42, Apr 1, 2020
  3. AllApps menu alternative

I prefer the AllApps screen in Win8.1 to the alpha list in Win10. I've suggested a few variants to MS through feedback.

It looks as though the alpha list will be the defacto standard, although a leaked peek shows it is a little better (can be hidden) and the Start Screen is not cluttered with a list that's too small and not nearly granular enough to be useful.

Windows has always been friendly to customization, and if I get the time to learn the XAML coding pertaining to Start, I might build my own. I tried exporting Start though PS, but it failed - that's ok because if you go that route, the Start screen becomes static. The export serves companies who want to have the same screen for all users.

Until then, I made a poor man's AllApps screen

Download ~AllApps.zip folder and extract the shortcut

~AllApps.zip
    After you have extracted the shortcut, check the properties of the shortcut and unblock it if it is marked blocked.

If you would rather a different icon or the icon I set did not make it through the transfer, change it while you're in properties.

Are there any alternatives to the Start Menu? [​IMG]

I used the right arrow icon in %SystemRoot%\system32\SHELL32.dll
    You can see it in the screen shots and if you have to 'fix' the icon, it's about in the middle of the slider displaying icons in shell32.dll

When you are finished with the shortcut properties
    Move ~AllApps.lnk (the shortcut) to your personal Start menu

%Appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
    When you look at the Start menu list, the new item, ~AllApps, will be first in the list since tilde ~ is lower in value that most other characters.

Pin ~AllApps to Start and place it where it's convenient to you. I mimicked the Win8.1 placement of an arrow at the lower left area.

When you're finished, you will have a pseudo AllApps screen. One of the niceties is that you can use all of the File Explorer organization features.

I set mine to
    Hide the Navigation pane (organize button)
    view as list (top view selector - press the icon to cycle through available views or press the down arrow to select the one you want)

Right click an open area of the main window
    sort by name
    group by none

There is one problem ... the settings do not stick.

I'll post an update once (if) I figure that out - I'd venture that some member will post the solution before I get back to it. It might be as simple as changing the shortcut target to call rundll shell32 or explorer.

Slartybart, Apr 1, 2020
  4. Are there any alternatives to the Start Menu?

Start Menu Search

Hi,

About your issue regarding the Start menu or Search, in order for us to assist you better. Please answer the question:

• Were there any recent changes made to your system prior to the issue?

In the meantime, we suggest you to check this link:
    Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana
    . It contains troubleshooting steps prior to the issue.

We'll look forward to your response.

Phillip Pio, Apr 1, 2020
Thema:

Are there any alternatives to the Start Menu?

1. Are there any alternatives to the Start Menu? - Similar Threads - Are alternatives Start

2. Is there any alternative of ChatGPT?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there any alternative of ChatGPT?: Are there any substitutes for ChatGPT that can be used in educational institutions such as schools, colleges, and universities?* Moved from Community Center...
  3. Is there any alternative of ChatGPT?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is there any alternative of ChatGPT?: Are there any substitutes for ChatGPT that can be used in educational institutions such as schools, colleges, and universities?* Moved from Community Center...
  4. Is there any way to move the Start menu to the center?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Is there any way to move the Start menu to the center?: Hello, is there any way to move the start menu to the center? My PC isn't compatible with Windows 11, as it doesn't have a TPM, so I got a theme but only the start button has moved. So, is there any way to move the start menu to the center? I'm on Windows 10 Pro, if that...
  5. Any alternative of system restore?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Any alternative of system restore?: I have an Asus fx505dy laptop. I ran some scripts months ago with admin privileges. It had a lot of side-effects like slow boot-up, removed many apps I need. Is there any way I can restore my laptop's state to the state when I got it? I didn't create a restore point. Can I...
  6. Is there any MozBackup alternative?

in Browsers and Email
    Is there any MozBackup alternative?: I have scoured the web and can't seem to find a reliable backup/restore tool for Firefox/Thunderbird Any suggestions? 166373
  7. Alternative Windows 10 start menu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Alternative Windows 10 start menu: I'm looking for an alternative start menu for windows 10 that looks more cleaner, some suggestions? submitted by /u/Licenziato [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/iiz01e/alternative_windows_10_start_menu/
  8. How To Change Any Folder to Any Color in Start Menu

How To Change Any Folder to Any Color in Start Menu: Hello. Is there a way to customize folder color in full screen start menu? I don't wanna change all of them. I wanna color any folder too any color. Thanks. 11863
  9. Tip for Start Menu Alternative

Tip for Start Menu Alternative: Since I don't have windows 10 installed, I basing the names of the folders on windows 7, please change accordingly. You will need to change your account to administrator for this to work, I think you can change back after your are done and it still should work but I have no...
  10. AllApps menu alternative

in Windows 10 Support
    AllApps menu alternative: I prefer the AllApps screen in Win8.1 to the alpha list in Win10. I've suggested a few variants to MS through feedback. It looks as though the alpha list will be the defacto standard, although a leaked peek shows it is a little better (can be hidden) and the Start Screen...