Windows 10: Are there differences between using Media Creation Tool or Recovery Drive Utility when...

Discus and support Are there differences between using Media Creation Tool or Recovery Drive Utility when... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I want to create a USB recovery drive to reinstall my Windows 10 on a new SSD. Sadly, Recovery Drive utility for Windows doesn't recognise my flash... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by HelenR., Dec 14, 2020.

1. HelenR. Win User

Are there differences between using Media Creation Tool or Recovery Drive Utility when...

I want to create a USB recovery drive to reinstall my Windows 10 on a new SSD. Sadly, Recovery Drive utility for Windows doesn't recognise my flash drive 32 GB: 4 GB reserved, 28 GB of free space. I tried different solutions from similar threads here, but none of them seemed to work.

However, Media Creation Tool recognises my flash drive and requires 8gb of free space.

If I use MCT to re-install Windows 10 on a SSD, would it be the same as using in-built utility that backs up my system files? Or can it bring some trouble? I have a digital license, but I'm still in doubt.

I'd really appreciate your help with this matter!

:)

HelenR., Dec 14, 2020

2. What's the difference Recovery Drive and Media Creation Tool

Can somebody tell me the difference between Recovery Drive and Media Creation Tool?

Mark John Fernandez, Dec 14, 2020
  3. Creating a Recovery Drive vs using the Media Creation Tool

Hi Everyone,

I'm about to perform a clean install of Windows 10 onto a new SSD drive from within the installed free version of Windows 10. I've already prepared my USB drive using the Media Creation Tool and my question is:

What difference is there, if any, between the contents of a USB drive that is prepared using the media Creation Tool versus a USB drive that is prepared by using the "Create a Recovery Drive" option from within the Control Panel?

If there is a difference, which is better?

Peter Stockley, Dec 14, 2020
  4. Are there differences between using Media Creation Tool or Recovery Drive Utility when...

Creating a Recovery Drive vs using the Media Creation Tool

Hi Likhitha,

I still have a question regarding the difference between a USB set up as a recovery drive, versus the USB set up using the Media Creation Tool.

The setup of the USB drive using the Media Creation Tool has the Windows 10 OS on the thumb drive which is used to install windows onto a new HDD or SSD.

If I encounter a problem when doing this, am I to believe I would then have to use a separate Recovery Drive to rectify the problem?

Is the purpose of a USB recovery drive only used to solve a problem that I might encounter with the PC, or,
    does it also contain the Windows OS on it?

In other words, does the Recovery Drive have a dual purpose which is to load the new OS while providing the capability of solving a problem should something go wrong, unlike the Media Creation Tool which has only a single purpose which is to install the
    new OS and leave you with a problem should something go wrong?

Thank you.

Peter

Peter Stockley, Dec 14, 2020
Thema:

Are there differences between using Media Creation Tool or Recovery Drive Utility when...

1. Are there differences between using Media Creation Tool or Recovery Drive Utility when... - Similar Threads - Are differences between

2. Windows recovery drive vs. windows media creation tool

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows recovery drive vs. windows media creation tool: Hi,I still cannot seem to be able to wrap my head around the difference between creating a windows recovery drive in the recovery drive section of the control panel, and downloading the tool off the internet called media creation tool to a USB thumb drive.Are those 2 thumb...
  3. Windows recovery drive vs. windows media creation tool

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows recovery drive vs. windows media creation tool: Hi,I still cannot seem to be able to wrap my head around the difference between creating a windows recovery drive in the recovery drive section of the control panel, and downloading the tool off the internet called media creation tool to a USB thumb drive.Are those 2 thumb...
  4. Windows recovery drive vs. windows media creation tool

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Difference between the official Media Creation Tool and Rufus for making Windows 10...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Difference between the official Media Creation Tool and Rufus for making Windows 10...: I am using Windows Media Creation Tool to make an USB installation media, and every time I make it, the checksum of two files change: install.esd and boot.wim. It makes it really hard to check the integrity of boot media, and honestly, there is absolutely no reason why the...
  6. Difference between the official Media Creation Tool and Rufus for making Windows 10...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Difference between the official Media Creation Tool and Rufus for making Windows 10...: I am using Windows Media Creation Tool to make an USB installation media, and every time I make it, the checksum of two files change: install.esd and boot.wim. It makes it really hard to check the integrity of boot media, and honestly, there is absolutely no reason why the...
  7. What's the difference between recovery drive and media creation tool?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What's the difference between recovery drive and media creation tool?: Hello, I'm planning to create a Windows 11 USB for reinstallation and recovery but I need to know the difference between recovery drive and media creation tool, so I know the difference and which one to select....
  8. What's the difference between recovery drive and media creation tool?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What's the difference between recovery drive and media creation tool?: Hello, I'm planning to create a Windows 11 USB for reinstallation and recovery but I need to know the difference between recovery drive and media creation tool, so I know the difference and which one to select....
  9. Creating a recovery partition using windows media creation tool

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Creating a recovery partition using windows media creation tool: Hi all, I have just received a new laptop, but it didn't come with a recovery partition so I am trying to create one myself. The OS it's running is Windows 10 Home 64bit. I have downloaded the Media Creation Tool in order to download the ISO files for the partition...
  10. Difference between TechBench and Media Creation Tool

in Windows 10 Support
    Difference between TechBench and Media Creation Tool: Hey all, Just as the title says, what is the difference between TechBench: Tech Bench and the regular Media Creation Tool: Windows 10 ? Thanks! 30722