Windows 10: Are these emails legitimate?

Discus and support Are these emails legitimate? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I receive these emails at least once a week. Are they legitimate or spam?From: Microsoft account team <*** Email address is removed for privacy... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by W.Prince, May 23, 2022.

1. W.Prince Win User

Are these emails legitimate?

I receive these emails at least once a week. Are they legitimate or spam?From: Microsoft account team <*** Email address is removed for privacy ***>Date: May 23, 2022 at 3:08:49 AM EDTTo: *** Email address is removed for privacy ***: Your single-use codeHi *** Email address is removed for privacy ***,We received your request for a single-use code to use with your Microsoft account.Your single-use code is: 2032560If you didn't request this code, you can safely ignore this email. Someone else might have typed your email address by mistake.Thanks,The Microsoft account team

:)

W.Prince, May 23, 2022

2. legitimate email

Is this a legitimate email address of Microsoft?

Windows <*** Email address is removed for privacy ***>

Asks me to do a security update with an embedded link... which I seldom trust.

DennisSnyder, May 23, 2022
  3. Ditendra Win User
    Sophiisticated scam or legitimate service?

This is obvious scam. Google employee would never call you.

"I just like to inform you that we are a legitimate company. Without your
    permission we cannot control your device because if we need to control your
    computer, we have to call you to run TeamViewer software, when you will
    share your Teamviewer ID & Password with us, then only it is possible for
    us to control your device with your permission. This is the way of a
    genuine company."

You need to remember that scammers are always trying to manipulate victims. This is their job. Of course they won't admit that they aren't legitimate or scammers. And them saying that they need your permission for remote controlling "to prove you that they're legitimate" is just another tactic of manipulation, so you think, "oh if they were scammers they wouldn't need my permission."

They are 100% scammers. You must be really very naive to not notice it. Anyway, all you need to do now is to block their number, put them in spam. They will probably try to call you again from the different numbers. Anytime they will call you, straightaway hangup. If they don't stop, I would suggest you to change your number. Also there is another way. I don't know if they were calling you to your smartphone or landline phone, but if it's a smartphone, then most smartphones have this ability where it blocks all unknown numbers automatically. I know it's not an ideal option, but it's the only thing to do if you don't want to change your phone number. For example my android phone has a feature to block calls from the strangers and also block calls from hidden numbers and even from contacts. Anyway, they somehow gained your personal information (number, email and etc)... And also remember, there are whole departments in the world that obtain, collect & then sell such information to scammers.

Next step after blocking and putting them in spam (& also report their emails to google) is to clean install of your windows if there's even a small suspicion that they had remote control of your computer. Disconnect your computer from the Internet. Format your disk and clean install Windows. After this change passwords of your important accounts & increase security as much as possible (very important to enable 2-step verification wherever you can).

And lastly, remember few golden rules:
    • Never give your credit card information to anyone! Even if God descends from the sky and asking your cc number.
    • Never make a transaction to some company you have not enough information, that has not reputation and name, in short in some shady companies and remember, even reviews can be faked and fabricated.
    • Never send money to strangers.
    • Never give strangers remote control of your computer.
    P.S. I suggest you to use password managers like Lastpass or Bitwarden, definitely use strong password and enable 2-step verification for them & also use strong and complex passwords (You can use this site for generating strong passwords: Strong Random Password Generator or you if you're using Chrome, it also can generate for you and also lastpass and bitwarden also have this ability).

Ditendra, May 23, 2022
  4. btmi&amp;3 Win User

Legitimate email?

Today, I received an email saying "Thanks for ordering Defender Firewall" and a bill for $499.99. It gave me the telephone # (888) 619-9555 to call if I wnted to cancel this order. Is this legitimate? I don't recall ordering this!!!

btmi&amp;3, May 23, 2022
Thema:

1. Are these emails legitimate? - Similar Threads - Are emails legitimate

2. Is this a legitimate email from microsoft: *** Email address is removed for privacy ***?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is this a legitimate email from microsoft: *** Email address is removed for privacy ***?: I recieved an email from this address saying someone sent me a gift card voucher. Is this legitimate or potential phishing? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-this-a-legitimate-email-from-microsoft/523e1829-7ad8-4fa8-8f3d-e3e72ca0675b
  3. Is this a legitimate email from microsoft: *** Email address is removed for privacy ***?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is this a legitimate email from microsoft: *** Email address is removed for privacy ***?: I recieved an email from this address saying someone sent me a gift card voucher. Is this legitimate or potential phishing? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-this-a-legitimate-email-from-microsoft/523e1829-7ad8-4fa8-8f3d-e3e72ca0675b
  4. Are these emails legitimate?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Are these emails legitimate?: I receive these emails at least once a week. Are they legitimate or spam?From: Microsoft account team <*** Email address is removed for privacy ***>Date: May 23, 2022 at 3:08:49 AM EDTTo: *** Email address is removed for privacy ***: Your single-use codeHi *** Email address...
  5. Are these emails legitimate?

Are these emails legitimate?: I receive these emails at least once a week. Are they legitimate or spam?From: Microsoft account team <*** Email address is removed for privacy ***>Date: May 23, 2022 at 3:08:49 AM EDTTo: *** Email address is removed for privacy ***: Your single-use codeHi *** Email address...
  6. Is this email a legitimate one?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is this email a legitimate one?: I recently received and email from someone claiming to be microsoft, I think it's legit but I wanted to make sure.I have clipped a bit to hide my own email address and real name, this is the top of the email with the sender address, it did not appear in my spam folder.While I...
  7. Is this email a legitimate one?

Is this email a legitimate one?: I recently received and email from someone claiming to be microsoft, I think it's legit but I wanted to make sure.I have clipped a bit to hide my own email address and real name, this is the top of the email with the sender address, it did not appear in my spam folder.While I...
  8. Is this email a legitimate one?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  9. is this email legitimate?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    is this email legitimate?: got email about password change from - <account-security-noreply@Accountprotection7 - is it legitimate? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/is-this-email-legitimate/e81d0197-e8b1-40bd-9fe8-ea0f906c0eb2
  10. Legitimate email?

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Legitimate email?: Today, I received an email saying "Thanks for ordering Defender Firewall" and a bill for $499.99. It gave me the telephone # (888) 619-9555 to call if I wnted to cancel this order. Is this legitimate? I don't recall ordering this!!!...