Windows 10: Are user system folders the actual folder or links shortcuts? I'm sure missing my old...

Discus and support Are user system folders the actual folder or links shortcuts? I'm sure missing my old... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a new computer with a small boot drive SSD and what is now becoming typical, I have a much larger HHD for data. I THOUGHT I followed the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by George Tate, Jul 10, 2021.

1. Are user system folders the actual folder or links shortcuts? I'm sure missing my old...

I have a new computer with a small boot drive SSD and what is now becoming typical, I have a much larger HHD for data. I THOUGHT I followed the instructions that I found here and elsewhere to move the system folders DOWNLOADS, DOCUMENTS, PICTURES, MUSIC, and whatever to new locations. Sure enough, I had OneDrive set to automatically back up files damn, I wish I would've known and as I was physically transferring files to the new locations OneDrive got overloaded and could not handle the 1T of junk I'd accumulated on my old computer\ you should've seen the jillion little red circles with a

:)

George Tate, Jul 10, 2021
  2. Rose W Win User

Create Shortcut to User Account Folder

A friend has his user account buried in the Windows folder so any investigation requiring a subfolder that is not listed in his Quick Access requires drilling down...to the Users user account.
    My user account is at the top of the file explorer listing in the left side navigation panel-much easier.

Today I went on a search to find methods where he could have a shortcut that gets him to all the sub folders in his account.
    The most simple of those I found was typing %UserName% in the explorer address bar then when search complete dragging the resulting icon to the taskbar fileexplorer icon. This creates a pinned link to the Users\Name of user account. I tested this out as well as the SEND TO DESKTOP(shortcut results) from the actual user folder. Both work as expected.

Is there an alternative to this 'shortcut' method? I wondered if there was an actual Windows 10 routine for this.

Rose

Rose W, Jul 10, 2021
  3. Nicrite Win User
    Vista Ultimate - 'User' Folder Location

No tried that.

Can copy the entire folder to D; but Windows still points to C as the location. Can change personal folders location to a folder on D;, but this still leaves hidden files etc on C;. Thus meaning there are 2 Users folders. Have managed to change the Public folder location to D;, with some registry tweaks, but this doesnt seem to work for the entire folder.

any more suggestions

Nicrite, Jul 10, 2021
  4. Edwin Win User

Are user system folders the actual folder or links shortcuts? I'm sure missing my old...

Create Shortcut to User Account Folder

You've pretty much covered the common methods...

alternatively, you can create the shortcut, on the Desktop, from the CLSID Key:

Desktop right click►NewShortcut►enter: explorer shell:::{59031a47-3f72-44a7-89c5-5595fe6b30ee}

See complete list of CLSID Keys and how to create shortcuts from them:

CLSID Key (GUID) Shortcuts List for Windows 10 | Tutorials

Edwin, Jul 10, 2021
Thema:

Are user system folders the actual folder or links shortcuts? I'm sure missing my old...

1. Are user system folders the actual folder or links shortcuts? I'm sure missing my old... - Similar Threads - Are user system

2. Shortcut folders missing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shortcut folders missing: My shortcut folders are missing in explorer.How do I enable the shortcuts. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shortcut-folders-missing/2348fc95-78d8-444c-8747-e2c8317bea65
  3. Shortcut folders missing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shortcut folders missing: My shortcut folders are missing in explorer.How do I enable the shortcuts. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shortcut-folders-missing/2348fc95-78d8-444c-8747-e2c8317bea65
  4. User Folder is Missing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    User Folder is Missing: I pulled a user's HDD from their PC to get some files from it. The drive boots fine and I can log in with the user's credentials, but I cannot get this PC to stay online more than a few seconds after Windows boots. The power supply is the culprit. We're replacing the PC since...
  5. User Folder is Missing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    User Folder is Missing: I pulled a user's HDD from their PC to get some files from it. The drive boots fine and I can log in with the user's credentials, but I cannot get this PC to stay online more than a few seconds after Windows boots. The power supply is the culprit. We're replacing the PC since...
  6. User Folder is Missing

7. User Folder Missing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    User Folder Missing: Help!!!My user folder suddenly went missing on the USER FOLDER in Drive C, but I think it made it's own location. How to I get it back. I am the only user and admin of my computer btw.As you can see it is not here:But if you look to the left pane it is there and had it's own...
  8. User Folder Missing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    User Folder Missing: Help!!!My user folder suddenly went missing on the USER FOLDER in Drive C, but I think it made it's own location. How to I get it back. I am the only user and admin of my computer btw.As you can see it is not here:But if you look to the left pane it is there and had it's own...
  9. User Folder Missing

10. Missing Desktop link in user folder ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Missing Desktop link in user folder ?: Please can anyone help me with a small problem ? if I right click on my music icon in explorer I can change the location of its contents in the location tab which I was trying to do, as I have my Mp3s in a music folder on my D Drive. whilst trying to do that I...