Windows 10: ARE WINDOWS EXPOLRER'S "LARGE THUMBNAILS" STILL TINY IN 4K LAPTOP MONITORS?

Discus and support ARE WINDOWS EXPOLRER'S "LARGE THUMBNAILS" STILL TINY IN 4K LAPTOP MONITORS? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have a windows 10 and XPS 9500 15.6" 4k laptop. I really need the thumbnails to get a lot bigger in the explorer window but instead they stay the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by FaniKurti, Sep 24, 2022.

1. FaniKurti Win User

ARE WINDOWS EXPOLRER'S "LARGE THUMBNAILS" STILL TINY IN 4K LAPTOP MONITORS?

I have a windows 10 and XPS 9500 15.6" 4k laptop. I really need the thumbnails to get a lot bigger in the explorer window but instead they stay the same but the spacing between the thumbnails is grown. IS THIS STILL AN ISSUE WITH WINDOWS 11?There is Windows cumulative updates every month and i always hope they can fix this bug but it never happens. This is sooo frustrating.I also have a Macbook air 13.3" M1, and the thumbnails on mac can get really huge and i love that.Why are Windows engineers sooo sloppy? JUST FIX THIS ONCE AND FOR ALL.

:)

FaniKurti, Sep 24, 2022
  2. RonSuth76 Win User

Windows 11 didn't fix the tiny "extra large" icons on a 4k screen?

Hey just wondering if I'm missing anything or if Microsoft really hasn't fixed the bug in Windows Explorer where you can't make your photo icons/thumbnails any larger on a 4k laptop screen? This was a known issue in Windows 10 and I had high hopes it would be fixed in 11. But so far, when I open a big batch of photos and try to make the thumbnails large enough to preview quickly, it doesn't work. Clicking "extra large" just increases the spacing between the tiny thumbnails, which is less than helpful!

Dell XPS, I7, Windows 11, 4k screen, Iris Xe graphics.

RonSuth76, Sep 24, 2022
  3. Suman_B Win User
    4K monitor displaying from 1080p laptop

Hi Sean,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We would need some information.

May I know the Make and the Model of the Laptop?

Graphic card of the Laptop should be compatible with the 4k Monitor to play 4k Video

Refer this link to check the Compatibility list:
    Dell Compatibility list.

Hope it helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking Yes or No.

Thanks,

Suman.B

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Suman_B, Sep 24, 2022
  4. ARE WINDOWS EXPOLRER'S "LARGE THUMBNAILS" STILL TINY IN 4K LAPTOP MONITORS?

make Windows 11 photo thumbnails larger than extra large in file explorer

Thank you to the people mentioning the same / continuing issue from Windows 10 machines running ultra-high (4K) resolution.

More people reporting the issue and asking, begging, even screaming for help with this issue cannot hurt but likely will not receive the response or results we have been seeking for years now.

I first ran into this with a new 4K Dell XPS 9500 running Windows 10 that I purchased for photo editing. If I connect it to an older monitor at a lower resolution the extra-large thumbnails works just fine. If I connect it to my 4K monitor it has the same issue as the laptop monitor.

For two years now, while searching for a solution, I have read dozens and dozens of forums and help pages with the begging and screaming for Microsoft to resolve this. Still an issue. There are pages of vids on YouTube about thumbnail size issues and errors. I have not researched them yet but will after posting this.

To the people here, and all the other pages on the net about this issue, suggesting reducing the resolution to fix the issue are ridiculous suggestions: Why the hell would someone pay for the high resolution just to reduce it to satisfy a ridiculous shortcoming by Microsoft.

With the 4K screens and monitors becoming the norm for several years now I cannot believe that Microsoft has not addressed the antiquated maximum thumbnail resolution/size.

Just a couple hours ago I finally upgraded to Windows 11 hoping that the developers would have addressed this. SOOO disappointed that it is still an issue. SOOO disappointing that Microsoft continues ignore peoples wishes and delete/limit options for the end user to customize and optimize basic settings to improve their productivity and experience.

If I am allowed a vote, I will vote with the people who do not like the “dumbing down” Microsoft has been doing to office and Windows.

OK, enough of a rant. For now. But keep up the pressure everyone. It cannot hurt. Maybe someone will come up with a fix that works. And again, NO, Reducing resolution is NOT a fix.

PS:

JOE300,

If your new laptop has a 4K screen you will likely have the same issue if you downgrade to Windows 10 since this is a maximum thumbnail size and the “large” thumbnails are already at or near that size on a 4K screen. At least that is what us using Windows 10 on a 4K machine or monitor have been experiencing.

Buckeyecash, Sep 24, 2022
Thema:

ARE WINDOWS EXPOLRER'S "LARGE THUMBNAILS" STILL TINY IN 4K LAPTOP MONITORS?

1. ARE WINDOWS EXPOLRER'S "LARGE THUMBNAILS" STILL TINY IN 4K LAPTOP MONITORS? - Similar Threads - ARE EXPOLRER'S LARGE

2. Has Microsoft fixed the "tiny extra-large thumbnails" issue for 4K screens in Windows 11...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Has Microsoft fixed the "tiny extra-large thumbnails" issue for 4K screens in Windows 11...: I bought a new Asus laptop with a 4K screen and like many others, I am very bothered by the tiny thumbnails view even when you select "extra large". I see this problem has been brought up before: Windows 11 didn't fix the tiny "extra large" icons on a 4k screen? - Microsoft...
  3. Has Microsoft fixed the "tiny extra-large thumbnails" issue for 4K screens in Windows 11...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Has Microsoft fixed the "tiny extra-large thumbnails" issue for 4K screens in Windows 11...: I bought a new Asus laptop with a 4K screen and like many others, I am very bothered by the tiny thumbnails view even when you select "extra large". I see this problem has been brought up before: Windows 11 didn't fix the tiny "extra large" icons on a 4k screen? - Microsoft...
  4. ARE WINDOWS EXPOLRER'S "LARGE THUMBNAILS" STILL TINY IN 4K LAPTOP MONITORS?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ARE WINDOWS EXPOLRER'S "LARGE THUMBNAILS" STILL TINY IN 4K LAPTOP MONITORS?: I have a windows 10 and XPS 9500 15.6" 4k laptop. I really need the thumbnails to get a lot bigger in the explorer window but instead they stay the same but the spacing between the thumbnails is grown. IS THIS STILL AN ISSUE WITH WINDOWS 11?There is Windows cumulative updates...
  5. ARE WINDOWS EXPOLRER'S "LARGE THUMBNAILS" STILL TINY IN 4K LAPTOP MONITORS?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    ARE WINDOWS EXPOLRER'S "LARGE THUMBNAILS" STILL TINY IN 4K LAPTOP MONITORS?: I have a windows 10 and XPS 9500 15.6" 4k laptop. I really need the thumbnails to get a lot bigger in the explorer window but instead they stay the same but the spacing between the thumbnails is grown. IS THIS STILL AN ISSUE WITH WINDOWS 11?There is Windows cumulative updates...
  6. Windows 11 didn't fix the tiny "extra large" icons on a 4k screen?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 didn't fix the tiny "extra large" icons on a 4k screen?: Hey just wondering if I'm missing anything or if Microsoft really hasn't fixed the bug in Windows Explorer where you can't make your photo icons/thumbnails any larger on a 4k laptop screen? This was a known issue in Windows 10 and I had high hopes it would be fixed in 11. But...
  7. Windows 11 didn't fix the tiny "extra large" icons on a 4k screen?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 didn't fix the tiny "extra large" icons on a 4k screen?: Hey just wondering if I'm missing anything or if Microsoft really hasn't fixed the bug in Windows Explorer where you can't make your photo icons/thumbnails any larger on a 4k laptop screen? This was a known issue in Windows 10 and I had high hopes it would be fixed in 11. But...
  8. Why not buy a small 4K TV instead of a large 4K monitor?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Why not buy a small 4K TV instead of a large 4K monitor?: This question has been dogging me for years. I'm a desktop PC person. I like having a desk, a monitor, and these days a smaller or 'Mini' PC nearby. 3 years ago I bought an Asus Vivomini PC and paired it with $329 2K 25 inch monitor. Something like this -- [img] But now...
  9. Why not buy a small 4K TV instead of a large 4K monitor?

in Windows 10 Support
    Why not buy a small 4K TV instead of a large 4K monitor?: This question has been dogging me for years. I'm a desktop PC person. I like having a desk, a monitor, and these days a smaller or 'Mini' PC nearby. 3 years ago I bought an Asus Vivomini PC and paired it with $329 2K 25 inch monitor. Something like this -- [img] But now...
  10. BIGGER THUMBNAIL IN 4K SCREEN LAPTOP?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    BIGGER THUMBNAIL IN 4K SCREEN LAPTOP?: Hi Microsoft, is there anyway can I make my thumbnail bigger? its because of my laptop. Its Dell XPS 15 9560. 4k Screen. The thumbnail wont go any bigger. So its hard to have a fast look at my picture. Please help me. I attach a screenshot so u can see how big the thumbnail...