Are you still running SQL Server 2005? Time to Upgrade.

Discus and support Are you still running SQL Server 2005? Time to Upgrade. in Windows 10 News on Windows 10 Forums to solve the problem; Are you still running SQL Server 2005? We know it’s hard to let go, but it’s been 10 years. In its time SQL Server 2005 was a great choice for your... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Apr 14, 2015.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Source: Are you still running SQL Server 2005? Now is the time to upgrade to a modern data platform - The Official Microsoft Blog

:)

Brink, Apr 14, 2015
  2. chris-germany Win User

Will my Business Contact Manager for outlook run under Windows 10?

SQL Server 2008 is not supported on Windows 10. Upgrade MSSMLBIZ Instance to SQL Server 2014 Express, and BCM will run perfectly.

chris-germany, Apr 14, 2015
  3. Alberto Morillo Win User
    Windows Upgrade from 8 to 10

Hello,

When you say your Act database is version 2012, do you really mean is SQL Server 2012? The answer to that question is really important in order to provide you more accurate information and reach a solution. For instance, SQL Server
    2008 R2 and earlier versions of SQL Server are not supported on Windows 10 while SQL Server 2012 is supported if you apply service pack 2 (SP2). For more information, please read the following article:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2681562

Users who upgraded to Windows 10 having installed on their computers versions not supported of SQL Server are complaining about having to start SQL Server services manually after the upgrade. To start SQL Server service manually,
    please read the following article:

How to: Start an Instance of SQL Server (SQL Server Configuration Manager)

Please contact Swiftpage ACT! Support about the possibility of upgrading the database to a supported version.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

SQLCoffee.com

Alberto Morillo, Apr 14, 2015
  4. spapakons Win User

Hello!

I have an computer running my old ERP program which was based on Microsoft SQL Server 2005. After upgrading from Windows 8.1 32-bit to Windows 10 32-bit it has some difficulties connecting to the database and launching the ERP application (user not found in base error). How can I safely upgrade to Microsoft SQL 2014? I installed the Upgrade Advisor and got a report, how do I proceed with the upgrade? Could I just download the Microsoft SQL Express 2014 and install it? Anything else to do?

Thank you in advance

EDIT: Solved! Found the culprit!

The computer has a small 80GB hard disk which was almost full with about 2-3GB free space. So I compressed the disk and now has about 15GB free. Except I unknowingly introduced an incompatibility! Microsoft SQL server doesn't work properly from a compressed folder. I had downloaded the Microsoft SQL Server 2014 Express and run it. Then I chose upgrade and it analyzed my current database before upgrading. Here was were I informed that I could not upgrade a compressed folder and was prompted to select another uncompressed folder. I immediately quitted the setup and proceeded to expand the "Microsoft SQL Server", "Microsoft SQL Server Compact Edition" folders and the EPR application folder. I restarted the computer and now it worked at once without any complain!

So anybody else having problems connecting to your SQL database, first make sure the Microsoft SQL Server folder in Program Files and any other relevant folders are NOT compressed!

Thank you for your time to read this.

spapakons, Jan 5, 2016
Thema:

Are you still running SQL Server 2005? Time to Upgrade. - Similar Threads - Are still running

1. We still can't run store using constantly elevated admin account?

in Windows 10 News
    We still can't run store using constantly elevated admin account?: Hi. I've just installed this ... Windows 10 Pro x64 yesterday. It's been 20 hours since I've started installation and it is still not enough to get it working as it should be working. So there is no hack or some bypass to run fully elevated admin (or at least so I can...
  2. USB device still running after laptop shut down

in Windows 10 News
    USB device still running after laptop shut down: Brand new Dell XPS-13, Win10 CU After I properly shutdown my laptop and unplug AC power why are the USB-powered fans still running in my laptop cooling pad? Also, 100% charge, shutdown, not run for 48 hours, start up, why is the charge down to 90%? 92983
  3. Disable Cortana using gpedit but process still running after reboot.

in Windows 10 News
    Disable Cortana using gpedit but process still running after reboot.: I expected gpedit setting to kill the process, but it hasn't. Is this usual? Any other ways to stop it? 84610
  4. Fan still running even no reason

in Windows 10 News
    Fan still running even no reason: Hello, I have All in One PC Acer Z3-710 with i5 on Win 10 (Anniversary). Unpacked a week ago so no dust inside etc. Current temperatures all in normal CPU 45-50°C GPU 40°C HDD 36°C Also HW usage in normal CPU 2-5% HDD 0-10% RAM 60% Can anyone explain to me why...
  5. Why is the disabled Cortana still running ?

in Windows 10 News
    Why is the disabled Cortana still running ?: Hi there I have disabled Cortana but it still runs in the background. [img] Anyone know why ? and can it be disabled completely ? zoo 24943
  6. Fan still running after shut lid and shut down

in Windows 10 News
    Fan still running after shut lid and shut down: Hey guys, I have noticed this problem come up on my Dell 7537 (Check out my profile for details) when I close the lid to put the computer to sleep, the HDD light turns off, but the fan continues to run, even after several hours. When I open the lid back up, it is just a...
  7. Black Screen seconds after startup, computer still running

in Windows 10 News
    Black Screen seconds after startup, computer still running: I've been running my computer for years without problems. I recently bought a new graphics card and about a month after that the screen displays 'No Signal' About a second after displaying the HP logo. It still happens when trying to access the BIOS menu. As a solution to...
Are you still running SQL Server 2005? Time to Upgrade. solved