Windows 10: Around 12-15 gb decrease in C drive after unsuccessful system restore

Discus and support Around 12-15 gb decrease in C drive after unsuccessful system restore in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Yesterday I was facing some problem with my computer with windows 10 home and so I decided to perform a system restore which i had created a few days... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jakkaas, Sep 10, 2017.

1. jakkaas Win User

Around 12-15 gb decrease in C drive after unsuccessful system restore

Yesterday I was facing some problem with my computer with windows 10 home and so I decided to perform a system restore which i had created a few days back ago. After starting system restore and allowing it for almost an hour, the laptop screen was still showing initializing system restore. So i forcefully shutdown my laptop and started it again. After starting i got a message that system restore not successful. After that when i went and check the free disk space of system volume C it got decrease by around 12-15 gb.*I went and deleted all previous restore point, clean up disk space and also using 3rd party software tried cleaning disk space but still have not recovered this 12-15 gb space.*

After that i went to setting and check the storage as to where this space has been occupied. It is showing that in others around 18 gb has been allocated, for which the windows is showing " There are some of the largest folders we couldn't characterize" (Screenshot attached).

Please help me recover this space.
    Thank you

Around 12-15 gb decrease in C drive after unsuccessful system restore [​IMG]

:)

jakkaas, Sep 10, 2017
  2. Arjay Dom Win User

Around 12-15 gb of Disk size decrease in System Volume , Drive C after unsuccesful system restore

Thank you for the information.

System Volume Information is a hidden folder rooted in your C drive. This is where Windows stores System Restore points. We do not recommend deleting this folder or tampering any files inside it since your recovery partition might get corrupted as well,
    preventing you from doing a reset (to factory settings) or system restore in the future.

If you don't want to reinstall Windows, we encourage you to submit your issue using the Feedback Hub.You can either vote on an existing submission or submit a new issue.

When you submit a feedback item we gather additional details and information about your issue that will help determine what’s causing it and address it. Feedback items regularly receive Microsoft responses on the submissions in the Feedback app
    so you can see what we are doing about your feedback. Please revisit frequently to see the status of your feedback items.

For more information on Feedback Hub, see our support article and YouTube
    video

In order to submit new feedback, please follow these steps:

1. On a Windows 10 device, search for "Feedback Hub" in
    Cortana search
    , then launch the app.

2. Navigate to Feedback in the left menu, then press
    + Add new feedback.

3. Select the Problem, and share any details you think are relevant, and choose an appropriate category and subcategory.

4. Important: If possible, reproduce the problem(s) after clicking
    Begin monitoring (or Start capture) near the end of the form;
    Stop monitoring when you're done.

5. Once you've complete the form and monitoring, click
    Submit

6. Click Continue using Feedback Hub.

7. Click My feedback at the top, then find the item you submitted (it may take a while to appear.

8. Open the item you submitted, then click Share.

9. Click Copy link, then paste the link in your response (It will look like URL Manager link>)

Feel free to post back if you have other concerns.

Arjay Dom, Sep 10, 2017
  3. Around 12-15 gb of Disk size decrease in System Volume , Drive C after unsuccesful system restore

I am Sorry but this is not the reply i am looking from WINDOWS. I understand very well that reinstalling window would solve this problem but that should be last resort and that too for a seroius problem. I am expecting an answer which would solve my problem
    without reinstalling windows.

Thank you

Mustafa Vohra, Sep 10, 2017
  4. jakkaas Win User

I tried treesize and it is showing
    windows folder has 20.9 GB allocated out of which 6.9 GB is for winsxs
    System volume information has 12 Gb allocated out of which 11.5 GB allocated for System Restore. Can i delete this folder? How?
    See attached screen shot

jakkaas, Sep 10, 2017
  5. cereberus Win User
    Go to control panel, system, system protection, configure, and delete all existing restore points. Then create one of course. You can limit size of restore point storage as well.

cereberus, Sep 10, 2017
  6. jakkaas Win User
    Deleting system restore from control panel, manage system restore point is not helping as it is showing only 500 mb size.

jakkaas, Sep 10, 2017
  7. cereberus Win User
    Have you run disk cleanup, and selected to remove system installation files?

cereberus, Sep 10, 2017
  8. jakkaas Win User

This option is not coming during disk clean up or clean up system files

jakkaas, Sep 10, 2017
  9. cereberus Win User
    Ccleaner will probably sort it out.

cereberus, Sep 10, 2017
  10. OldMike65 Win User
    From admin command prompt you could run cleammgr.exe in extended mode. Type this in your command window.

%SystemRoot%\System32\Cmd.exe /c Cleanmgr /sageset:65535 & Cleanmgr /sagerun:65535

OldMike65, Sep 10, 2017
  11. lx07 Win User
    Try disabling system protection completely and reboot then check it again with TreeSize.

That should delete all restore points and you have 12GB there - mostly from Store apps it seems.

If you want you can enable system protection again after (and set some limit with the slider in the picture above) and then create a new one.

12. jakkaas Win User
    Tried Both of the options. Its not working *Sad

jakkaas, Sep 10, 2017
  13. jakkaas Win User

This is not working as it is showing only 500 mb occupied. i tried deleting but its not freeing that 12 GB space

jakkaas, Sep 10, 2017
  14. jakkaas Win User
    Can i manually delete it using treesize?

jakkaas, Sep 10, 2017
  15. cereberus Win User
    Try it.

cereberus, Sep 10, 2017
Thema:

1. Around 12-15 gb decrease in C drive after unsuccessful system restore - Similar Threads - Around decrease drive

2. Lower free space on C drive after failed system restore

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Lower free space on C drive after failed system restore: After installing a software 'Simatic net', I tried to restore C drive to get back to before installation point. But I see this Error at the end of operation An unspecified error occurred during system restore 0x800705aa . and then I understand that my C drive has lower space....
  3. System Restore shows a missing C: drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Restore shows a missing C: drive: W10 Pro 20H2. Went to create a restore point and noticed something amiss. No clue as what this is about. Any help is appreciated in advance. See red notation here: 179606
  4. System Restore shows a missing C: drive

in Windows 10 Support
    System Restore shows a missing C: drive: W10 Pro 20H2. Went to create a restore point and noticed something amiss. No clue as what this is about. Any help is appreciated in advance. See red notation here: 179606
  5. Unsuccessful undo restore

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unsuccessful undo restore: Yesterday I deleted a program and the folder then emptied recycled bin, I moved a few notepad files from folder to desktop before I deleted. I then reinstalled program and added files to folder. It didnt bring up the files so I did a system restore to 11.13.2020, and now I...
  6. I have around 300 GB free in my C drive. Trying to partition 200 GB into a new drive but...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I have around 300 GB free in my C drive. Trying to partition 200 GB into a new drive but...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/maverick_3001 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jmhx3w/i_have_around_300_gb_free_in_my_c_drive_trying_to/
  7. System Restore takes 9GB on Drive C:

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    System Restore takes 9GB on Drive C:: what happen is that my DTS wasn't detecting the driver installed after i updated throughwindows update then i tried system restore now the app is functioning the way it should be but now i lost 9GB of storage in my drive C. this is how much system restore is taking....
  8. System interupt pernamently around 15-25%

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System interupt pernamently around 15-25%: I am at my witz end, took my sweet time on google trying to find what is wrong with pc i bought second hand. The computer in question is: https://www.amazon.com/d/All-One-Computers/Lenovo-IdeaCentre-Touchscreen-Desktop-i5-6400/B01MQUV5UA I did clean instalation, downloaded...
  9. C Drive full after failed system restore froze

in Windows 10 Support
    C Drive full after failed system restore froze: Hi guys, need your advise. I initially restored my laptop thru system restore point that was made when my windows updated automatically. However, it froze and I halted the process thru hard reset. I read that I should continue the restore point thru safe mode. I continued the...
  10. System restore is unsuccessful

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System restore is unsuccessful: Each malware software product can be uninstall but may leave behind fragments in the registry. Run the Avira uninstall tool to see if it can find the fragments. Avira AntiVir Removal Tool - Download How do I uninstall my Avira product?... I tried that but it said nothing...