Windows 10: Arrow keys keep selecting text instead of going up or down

Discus and support Arrow keys keep selecting text instead of going up or down in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; As stated, my arrow keys are not doing their job. They select the text that's on the page, letter by letter, instead of going up or down like always.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by CarolinaKopper, Dec 17, 2020.

1. Arrow keys keep selecting text instead of going up or down

As stated, my arrow keys are not doing their job. They select the text that's on the page, letter by letter, instead of going up or down like always. My Shift key isn't stuck. I tried turning the sticky keys off. Nothing happened. Can somebody help, please?

:)

CarolinaKopper, Dec 17, 2020
  2. Plop_511 Win User

Arrow keys started selecting text

Seems that accidentally I have hit some key which has caused arrow keys and 'end' key to highlight (select) text.
    Never had this previously. I'm aware of the num lock key to toggle this feature, but then I am unable to use the number keypad.

Any ideas please?

Plop_511, Dec 17, 2020
  3. Arrow keys started selecting text

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I can imagine the inconvenience you are experiencing and will certainly help you in the right direction to fix the issue.

You might have Turn ON the Sticky Keys on your device. This could be the possible cause of the issue.

I suggest you to suggest you to follow the methods below to Turn OFF the Sticky keys.

Method 1

1. Click on Start > Settings > Ease of Access > Keyboard.
    2. On the right, turn off the option
      Press one key at a time for keyboard shortcuts and check the status of the issue.

Method 2

1. Click on Start, type in Control Panel.
    2. Navigate to Control Panel\Ease of Access\Ease of Access Center\Make the keyboard easier to use.
    3. Uncheck the box
      Turn on Sticky keys
    4. Click on Apply and OK.

If the issue still persists, I suggest you to turn on On-Screen keyboard and see if the same issue persists. Refer the article
    Use the On-Screen Keyboard (OSK) to type for the steps.

Please reply with the status of the issue, so that we can find out the root cause of the issue.

Regards,

Muralidhar

Microsoft Community Moderator

Muralidhar_G, Dec 17, 2020
  4. Arrow keys keep selecting text instead of going up or down

down arrow key stopped working

My razor lycosa down arrow key decided to not respond at some point today. The other ones work and so does the numpad arrow if i turn off the numlock. Sounds like its just broken and im screwed, but any suggestions?

Hybrid_theory, Dec 17, 2020
Thema:

Arrow keys keep selecting text instead of going up or down

1. Arrow keys keep selecting text instead of going up or down - Similar Threads - Arrow keys keep

2. up and down arrow keys are used for page up and down

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    up and down arrow keys are used for page up and down: My arrow keys are used for page up and down how do i reset it to default as they no longer work in games and when i test it all the other arrow keys work but up and down register and page up and page down....
  3. up and down arrow keys are used for page up and down

in Windows 10 Gaming
    up and down arrow keys are used for page up and down: My arrow keys are used for page up and down how do i reset it to default as they no longer work in games and when i test it all the other arrow keys work but up and down register and page up and page down....
  4. up and down arrow keys

in Windows 10 Gaming
    up and down arrow keys: whenever i press the down arrow key it goes down but then up again but when i hold it it works if i press the up-arrow key on the keyboard it goes up two times how do i fix this on the msi laptop...
  5. up and down arrow keys

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    up and down arrow keys: whenever i press the down arrow key it goes down but then up again but when i hold it it works if i press the up-arrow key on the keyboard it goes up two times how do i fix this on the msi laptop...
  6. Windows keeps pressing the arrow down key

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows keeps pressing the arrow down key: Hi I seem to have a problem with my windows OS as it occasionally just keeps the down key pressed after the autoupdate of win 10. I know this is a windows issue cause my lap top and keyboard was working normally. Has anyone had this issue before or resolved this? as it can be...
  7. Arrow Keys scroll through text instead of scrolling smoothly

in Windows 10 Customization
    Arrow Keys scroll through text instead of scrolling smoothly: My cat jumped on my keyboard and ever since then my arrows are refusing to scroll normally. They jump through text box to text box. The text is boxed and that flashing indication for typing appears as if I could edit the text. I tried fixing the scroll lock but saw no...
  8. ARROW KEYS SELECTING TEXT

in Windows 10 Customization
    ARROW KEYS SELECTING TEXT: ANS ARROW KEY + INSERT WAS ACCIDENTALY PRESSED https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/arrow-keys-selecting-text/7cde71aa-edb1-49a0-9535-21ae420f04b9
  9. Arrow keys selecting text even if NumLock is disabled

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Arrow keys selecting text even if NumLock is disabled: Working in Visual Studio and when I use arrows, it keeps highlighting text, which is frustrating. I need arrows to move through my code, can't use cursor all the time. Any solutions?...
  10. Arrow keys started selecting text

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Arrow keys started selecting text: Seems that accidentally I have hit some key which has caused arrow keys and 'end' key to highlight (select) text. Never had this previously. I'm aware of the num lock key to toggle this feature, but then I am unable to use the number keypad. Any ideas please?...