Windows 10: Arrow keys selecting text even if NumLock is disabled

Discus and support Arrow keys selecting text even if NumLock is disabled in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Working in Visual Studio and when I use arrows, it keeps highlighting text, which is frustrating. I need arrows to move through my code, can't use... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by SanjinGicevic, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Arrow keys selecting text even if NumLock is disabled

Working in Visual Studio and when I use arrows, it keeps highlighting text, which is frustrating. I need arrows to move through my code, can't use cursor all the time. Any solutions?

:)

SanjinGicevic, Aug 16, 2019

2. down arrow key stopped working

My razor lycosa down arrow key decided to not respond at some point today. The other ones work and so does the numpad arrow if i turn off the numlock. Sounds like its just broken and im screwed, but any suggestions?

Hybrid_theory, Aug 16, 2019
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Arrow keys started highlighting text

You need to turn off NumLock to stop this behaviour . . .

Normal behavior for a keyboard is arrow keys move cursor on text, if the Shift key is pressed using arrow keys text is highlighted, the Numlock Key simulates the Shift key being pressed!

I Hope this Helps!

DaveM121, Aug 16, 2019
  4. Plop_511 Win User

Arrow keys selecting text even if NumLock is disabled

Arrow keys started selecting text

Seems that accidentally I have hit some key which has caused arrow keys and 'end' key to highlight (select) text.
    Never had this previously. I'm aware of the num lock key to toggle this feature, but then I am unable to use the number keypad.

Any ideas please?

Plop_511, Aug 16, 2019
Thema:

Arrow keys selecting text even if NumLock is disabled

1. Arrow keys selecting text even if NumLock is disabled - Similar Threads - Arrow keys selecting

2. How to use home, end, pgup, pgdn and other arrow keys on the numpad even when the numlock...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to use home, end, pgup, pgdn and other arrow keys on the numpad even when the numlock...: The premise behind asking this question is, when the numlock is off, the keys on the numpad act like home, end, etc. But when the numlock is on, they can't be used to perform shortcuts like ctrl+home or shift +home because they now behave like number keys. I don't have a...
  3. How to use home, end, pgup, pgdn and other arrow keys on the numpad even when the numlock...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to use home, end, pgup, pgdn and other arrow keys on the numpad even when the numlock...: The premise behind asking this question is, when the numlock is off, the keys on the numpad act like home, end, etc. But when the numlock is on, they can't be used to perform shortcuts like ctrl+home or shift +home because they now behave like number keys. I don't have a...
  4. Disable the Numlock LED

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disable the Numlock LED: Is there a way to disable numlock led light while keeping its function enabled?Win 11 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disable-the-numlock-led/36457729-08ed-4e67-a72c-7a94af294aae
  5. My Arrow keys select text when i use them

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My Arrow keys select text when i use them: I see someone else has also asked this question but sticky keys method don't seem to work and yes the issue persists in the on screen keyboard Please tell me what to do...
  6. Purple arrow arrows in text

in Windows 10 Customization
    Purple arrow arrows in text: Hello,I just turned on a setting on my pc and I am not sure what is this thing on my text [ATTACH] . Can you guys tell me how can I turn this off? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/purple-arrow-arrows-in-text/96ea0e1d-9cb9-489e-a70d-8a8fd7b91c20
  7. Arrow keys keep selecting text instead of going up or down

Arrow keys keep selecting text instead of going up or down: As stated, my arrow keys are not doing their job. They select the text that's on the page, letter by letter, instead of going up or down like always. My Shift key isn't stuck. I tried turning the sticky keys off. Nothing happened. Can somebody help, please?...
  8. ARROW KEYS SELECTING TEXT

in Windows 10 Customization
    ARROW KEYS SELECTING TEXT: ANS ARROW KEY + INSERT WAS ACCIDENTALY PRESSED https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/arrow-keys-selecting-text/7cde71aa-edb1-49a0-9535-21ae420f04b9
  9. Disable NumLock key

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disable NumLock key: The NumLock key is very close to the Backspace key on my Lenovo laptop. As a writer I use the Backspace key 1000 times a day. In contrast: I honestly have no idea what the NumLock key does. So it's incredibly annoying when the giant NumLock off/on icon appears in the middle...
  10. Arrow keys started selecting text

Arrow keys started selecting text: Seems that accidentally I have hit some key which has caused arrow keys and 'end' key to highlight (select) text. Never had this previously. I'm aware of the num lock key to toggle this feature, but then I am unable to use the number keypad. Any ideas please?...