Windows 10: As of 29 Dec 2018 Windows 10 (1809) no longer shuts down properly.

Discus and support As of 29 Dec 2018 Windows 10 (1809) no longer shuts down properly. in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Windows 10 no longer shuts down properly. It displays "shutting down" and then hangs. The computer is running Windows 10 Pro version 1809 installed on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Bill Blinn, Dec 31, 2018.

1. As of 29 Dec 2018 Windows 10 (1809) no longer shuts down properly.

Windows 10 no longer shuts down properly. It displays "shutting down" and then hangs. The computer is running Windows 10 Pro version 1809 installed on 21 Dec 2018. The shutdown problem began on 29 Dec 2018.

Additionally Windows Update report an error ("There were some problems installing updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help: (0x80080005).")

View update history never opens the history panel.

Advanced update options never opens the advanced panel.

Please do not suggest "DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth". I have done this and no errors are reported.

Please do not suggest "sfc /scannow". I have done this and no errors are reported.

I have also tried running the generally useless Troubleshooter and it was useless: Troubleshooting Windows Update "Detects problems" for as long as I want to let it run and never reports anything.

The Troubleshooter's Power component suggests setting the power plan to a "more efficient power plan". It made the following changes:
    • Reduced the time before the hard disk goes to sleep. (BOGUS: This computer runs on AC power at all times and the disk should NOT go to sleep. I set this back to NEVER.)
    • Reduced the time before the monitor goes to sleep. (BOGUS: I set this at 15 minutes and do not want the time to be less. I set this back to 15 minutes!)
    • "Power Plan set to High Performance". This statement is ambiguous. In fact, the troubleshooter changed the power plan from HIGH to BALANCED. Why? (For now I have left this on balanced.)
    • Reduced the time before the computer goes to sleep. (BOGUS: The computer should NOT go to sleep. I changed this back to NEVER.)
    • Minimum processor state is set too high. (Troubleshooter set this to 5%. I have left this at 5%.)
    • USB Selective Suspend is disabled. (YES, it should be disabled. It's a crappy idea that allows USB drives to go to sleep, which takes them off-line. What genius thinks this is a good idea? I have set this back to DISABLED on AC power.)

If you have recommendations for something I haven't yet tried, please let me know.

Thank you.

:)

Bill Blinn, Dec 31, 2018

2. win 10 will not shut down properly

Hi Richard,

Usually, this issue occur due to outdated or corrupted device drivers, services or processes which are not shutting down properly, or third-party programs that prevents your computer to shut down properly. For better assistance, we'll be needing additional
    information:

• Have you made any recent changes on your computer prior to the issue?
    • Is this an error message Explorer\windows\settingsync\BackgroundUploadTask? If yes, where are you getting this message?
    • If possible, can you send us a screenshot?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you run the Power troubleshooter as an initial troubleshooting step. To run the Power troubleshooter, follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X and select Settings.
    • Choose Update & Security from the list.
    • Click Troubleshoot in the left pane of the window.
    • Under Find and fix other problems, select Power
      and click Run the troubleshooter.

We'll keep an eye out for your response.

Gerard Qui, Dec 31, 2018
  3. Windows 10 Pro (fully updated) will not shut down properly

Hi Chayan,

I appreciate if you could answer few questions to narrow down to the issue.

• What is the make and model of the computer?
    • How exactly are you shutting down the computer? Is it from Start menu?
    • Did you try shutting down by pressing and holding the power button?
    • Did you make any recent changes to the computer settings?
    • Did you plug any external device to the computer?
    I would like to inform you that it is bit difficult to pin point on the exact reason behind the issue unless we get the answers for the questions asked above.

As an initial troubleshooting step, I suggest you to press and hold the power button and check if the computer able to shut down completely.

If the issue persist try unplug plug the charger\power cord from the power source and check if the issue persists, this may also arise due to any fault in the power source.

If the above steps doesn’t work, I suggest you to check if the fast startup option is enabled.

• Access control panel by right clicking on the Start menu.
    • Choose Power options.
    • Select Choose what the power buttons do and check if it is enabled.(Disable it if enabled)
    Please let us know if you are able to shut down the system properly after following the above steps. If the issue persists, please reply with the required information. We will be glad to assist.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Dec 31, 2018
  4. Ahhzz Win User

As of 29 Dec 2018 Windows 10 (1809) no longer shuts down properly.

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Dec 31, 2018
Thema:

As of 29 Dec 2018 Windows 10 (1809) no longer shuts down properly.

1. As of 29 Dec 2018 Windows 10 (1809) no longer shuts down properly. - Similar Threads - Dec 2018 1809

2. Windows was not properly shut down

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows was not properly shut down: HiI just got a new laptop a week ago which is running Windows 11. Twice over the past couple of days it has shut down randomly. When I checked the Reliability monitor it shows "Windows was not properly shut down" at the time the laptop crashed. Can you advise on how I can...
  3. "Windows not properly shut down"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Windows not properly shut down": New Desktop, Windows 11 all up to date.I check 'Reliability History' occasionallyHave seen this error in the past when the power supply has been switched off without shutting down Windows on other PCs.As per the image I am getting random shut downs but the PC is not shutting...
  4. Windows was not properly shut down

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows was not properly shut down: Hello I'm Amirali.When Windows shuts down, the power goes out and the system shuts down suddenly. The next time the system turns on for a longer time but no error or warning is displayed. This causes all services and file systems to shut down suddenly; I have no problem with...
  5. Not shutting down properly

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Not shutting down properly: Hi, My machine, running windows 10 pro, 64 bit, does not shut down properly. I only realised recently that if I press a key, it fires back up. I have shut down in windows using the normal power function as usual and it's not set up to go into hibernation. I think it's been...
  6. Windows 10 not shutting down properly

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 not shutting down properly: So I recently built my dad a computer and everything seems to be going great in regards to the PC except for one problem. Randomly when he tries to shut down the PC thought windows it won't shut down. It just says its shutting down and goes on like that for hours, or until...
  7. Windows was not properly shut down

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows was not properly shut down: It says "The previous system shutdown at 8:41:12 PM on ‎2/‎14/‎2018 was unexpected." it happen in many times. but it never happen when I plug in the charger....
  8. After Dec 29, 2018 update, Windows 10 will not pop up login prompt

in Windows 10 Customization
    After Dec 29, 2018 update, Windows 10 will not pop up login prompt: Recently (as in the past 72 hours) I got an HP Pavilion that already came with Windows 10 installed on it. After yesterdays Windows 10 update (12/29/2018) my computer will pop up a clock with a blank blue screen as the background. When I proceed to the login screen only the...
  9. Not shutting down properly

in Windows 10 Support
    Not shutting down properly: Hi all *Smile Bit of a strange problem with Windows 10 on my desktop - it doesn't seem to shut down properly. I get the usual 'shutting down' screen, but (sometimes) when it turns back on it's resumes at a stage maybe 30 seconds before I switched it off. For example, if I...
  10. Windows was not shut down properly but I did shut it down properly!

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows was not shut down properly but I did shut it down properly!: Since upgrading to Windows 10 Pro, I remain perplexed about this one issue that is plaguing my system: Almost every shut down is reported in the Windows 10 Reliability Monitor as the computer was not shut down properly. This happens on both shut downs and restarts using...