Windows 10: "Ascending/Descending" option in sort by grayed out

Discus and support "Ascending/Descending" option in sort by grayed out in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; In any new folder I create I can't select "Ascending/Descending" in the sort by option. And there is no dot by the current selected options.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by chff, Jan 13, 2020.

1. chff Win User

"Ascending/Descending" option in sort by grayed out

In any new folder I create I can't select "Ascending/Descending" in the sort by option. And there is no dot by the current selected options.

"Ascending/Descending" will only show if I group the items

"Ascending/Descending" option in sort by grayed out e2053810-795e-4a26-a5af-936ce628bc93?upload=true.jpg

:)

2. DaveM121 Win User

Sort Ascending Descending

Hi Dave

Are you in Details or List View when the Sort button is not enabled?

The Sort Ascending and Ascending is best done by just clicking the appropriate column header, arrow up is ascending, arrow down is descending

DaveM121, Jan 13, 2020
  3. Ken Blake Win User

It is very easy to change what you sort on and to from ascending order to descending, or vice versa.

First, click the header of the field you want to sort on. It is now sorted by that field.

Then if you want to change from ascending order to descending, or vice versa, click it a second time.

Ken Blake, Jan 13, 2020
  4. "Ascending/Descending" option in sort by grayed out

In files explorer, what I see happening is not having any criteria that comes up that allows me to sort files and folders the way I prefer to do it. Sometimes I also notice the ability to choose ascending or descending files is grayed out and cannot be accessed
    to make a choice. This does not happen all the time in folders but is very frustrating to try and figure out what is wrong or not being able to find an answer in how to change this behavior.

Thanks Dave

daveeeeeeeeeeee, Jan 13, 2020
Thema:

"Ascending/Descending" option in sort by grayed out

1. "Ascending/Descending" option in sort by grayed out - Similar Threads - Ascending Descending option

2. All sign-in options grayed out

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    All sign-in options grayed out: Hi,I'm not exactly sure when this happened, but I believe it was after I converted from Windows 10 to Windows 11 and now all the sign in options are grayed out. I figured I can change the ping if I just Win+L and then do forget password to change the pin, but I cannot set any...
  3. "options" in file explorer is grayed out

"options" in file explorer is grayed out: HiI'm under windows 10 and file explorer has several issues.Currently, file explorer displays no thumbnails and "options" is grayed out. If I right click on a file and presses "open with", it completely freezes explorer, I cant even alt-tab, I have to terminate it.On other...
  4. "options" in file explorer is grayed out

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    "options" in file explorer is grayed out: HiI'm under windows 10 and file explorer has several random issues.Randomly, it will stop showing file thumbnails and have "options" grayed out. Sometimes it will not display folders' content, sometimes it will. It's very annoying.It's fixed by rebooting, but I don't want to...
  5. Domain option grayed out

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Domain option grayed out: I am unable to add our new devices to our active directory. The new devices are running on windows 11. It is currently on Workgroup, But I need it to be added to the domain. I work at a school district in the IT department....
  6. Domain option grayed out

Domain option grayed out: I am unable to add our new devices to our active directory. The new devices are running on windows 11. It is currently on Workgroup, But I need it to be added to the domain. I work at a school district in the IT department....
  7. WiFi option grayed out

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WiFi option grayed out: Hello! For a while now my desktop computer an HP all in one will disconnect from wifi and say there is no network available. When I go to network settings, the wifi button is in the off position and I cannot click on it. I can only restart the computer, but it will happen...
  8. WiFi option grayed out

WiFi option grayed out: Hello! For a while now my desktop computer an HP all in one will disconnect from wifi and say there is no network available. When I go to network settings, the wifi button is in the off position and I cannot click on it. I can only restart the computer, but it will happen...
  9. WiFi option grayed out.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WiFi option grayed out.: After upgrading to Windows 10 2 days wireless worked properly but when I switch on my laptop the wifi option grayed out I tried to update my wireless drives but that did not work so I reset my network but that did not work so I check-in BIOS but wireless is on so I update my...
  10. Sort Ascending Descending

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Sort Ascending Descending: In files explorer, what I see happening is not having any criteria that comes up that allows me to sort files and folders the way I prefer to do it. Sometimes I also notice the ability to choose ascending or descending files is grayed out and cannot be accessed to make a...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. win 10 sort by ascending and descending faded out