Windows 10: asking for BitLocker recovery which I never set up

Discus and support asking for BitLocker recovery which I never set up in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I got a new Dell windows 10 laptop, and today when I started it, it said it was finishing updates. Then once finished, it is asked for the BitLocker... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by JayZG, May 30, 2019.

1. JayZG Win User

asking for BitLocker recovery which I never set up

I got a new Dell windows 10 laptop, and today when I started it, it said it was finishing updates. Then once finished, it is asked for the BitLocker recovery key and will not go any further. I never set one up. (My Microsoft account (hotmail login) is also now locked for 30 days from looking up more info about my recovery key because I just made the mistake of adding my cell phone number as part of my account and msft says they need to lock it for 30 days for security.)

I see a long list of troubleshooting steps in another thread that includes booting from a USB stick which I do not own. It really seems unacceptable that a user should have to do all these steps without help from Microsoft. I expect to be able to turn on a laptop and use it, not spend all day on diagnostics. I also want to understand WHY this is happening, not just be given a long list of steps that may or may not work. And, HOW To contact a real person to help.

:)

JayZG, May 30, 2019

2. recovery bitlocker blue screen

Hi Rick,

Please follow the suggestions below and check if you are able to boot to your desktop.

• Places to look for your BitLocker key:
      • On a printout you saved. Look in places you keep important papers.
      • Saved on a USB flash drive. Plug the USB flash drive into your locked PC and follow the instructions. If you saved the key as a text file on the flash drive, use a different computer to read the text file.
      • In your Microsoft account. To get your recovery key, go to
        BitLocker Recovery Keys.

• Or ask someone for help:
      • Ask someone with administrator privileges on the same PC to unlock it with their key.
      • If your PC is connected to a domain (usually a work or school computer), ask a system administrator for your recovery key

Hope this helps in resolving the bitlocker recovery keys. Keep us posted on the bitlocker recovery key issues. We are happy to help!

Joy Kemprai, May 30, 2019
  3. pj04 Win User
    Asking for Bitlocker recovery key on login

So I was playing with BIOS settings for reformatting my laptop and reinstalling Windows using bootable USB drive. I didn't succeed and I probably did something stupid. Now I'm not able to login into my laptop. It's asking me for bitlocker recovery key on both disabled and enabled settings of secure boot.

On "Enabled" setting, it says "Bitlocker needs your recovery key to unlock your drive because Secure Boot policy has unexpectedly changed."

asking for BitLocker recovery which I never set up [​IMG]

On "Disabled" setting, it says "Bitlocker needs your recovery key to unlock your drive because Secure Boot has been disabled. Either Secure Boot must be re-enabled, or Bitlocker must be suspended for Windows to start normally."

asking for BitLocker recovery which I never set up [​IMG]

I don't have a recovery key. I don't remember setting one. I even searched for it in my Microsoft account. My device (ASUS X205TA) is listed but the recovery key is not.

Note that I don't have any useful data in the laptop, so I'd be fine with reinstalling windows even if I loose all the data. I just want to be able to use my laptop again.

4. Saja67 Win User

Bitlocker not asking for password set up

I have the same problem as David with bitlocker set-up not asking me for a password. Following the instructions in the article suggested by Jennifer does not help as it assumes that I will be prompted to enter a password - the set up skips that step going
    straight to the options for saving the recovery key. Once (supposedly) encrypted, I can restart my computer without having to enter anything apart from my microsoft password so I do not have any additional security at all.

Saja67, May 30, 2019
Thema:

1. asking for BitLocker recovery which I never set up - Similar Threads - asking BitLocker recovery

2. Bitlocker asking for recovery key, which was never provided to me

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker asking for recovery key, which was never provided to me: Hi all, My Dell laptop was stuck at a blue screen asking for Bitlocker recovery key after reboot yesterday. As I looked up online, numerous articles and posts talked about looking for the recovery key by trying to log into various Microsoft product websites with different...
  3. Bitlocker asking for recovery key, which was never provided to me

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bitlocker asking for recovery key, which was never provided to me: Hi all, My Dell laptop was stuck at a blue screen asking for Bitlocker recovery key after reboot yesterday. As I looked up online, numerous articles and posts talked about looking for the recovery key by trying to log into various Microsoft product websites with different...
  4. Windows 11 is asking for a PIN that I never set up.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 is asking for a PIN that I never set up.: I recently upgraded to Windows 11 and from then on, there were tons of problems encountered.Most recent was yesterday when I was trying to log in to my laptop but it was asking for a PIN instead of my usual password. I never set up any and there is no other sign in option.1....
  5. Windows 11 is asking for a PIN that I never set up.

Windows 11 is asking for a PIN that I never set up.: I recently upgraded to Windows 11 and from then on, there were tons of problems encountered.Most recent was yesterday when I was trying to log in to my laptop but it was asking for a PIN instead of my usual password. I never set up any and there is no other sign in option.1....
  6. Asked for USB security key which has never been set up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Asked for USB security key which has never been set up: Hi, I was trying to check to my gmail from my browser and it asks me for USB security key, which I have never set up.I checked Account > Ways to sign in > Security Key settings on Windows 11 and clicked on manage, but it asked me for security key.Fortunately I managed to...
  7. Asked for USB security key which has never been set up

Asked for USB security key which has never been set up: Hi, I was trying to check to my gmail from my browser and it asks me for USB security key, which I have never set up.I checked Account > Ways to sign in > Security Key settings on Windows 11 and clicked on manage, but it asked me for security key.Fortunately I managed to...
  8. BitLocker recovery screen asking me for a key but I never installed it

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BitLocker recovery screen asking me for a key but I never installed it: Hi all, Sorry this post is quite long because I want you to understand well my case and surely hundreds of thousands Win users I have a Lenovo X270 laptop that was running Windows 10 Professional. Hereis what happened: One day a little bit of soda poured out on it so...
  9. Windows 10 Asking for BitLocker Recovery Key But I Did Not Set Up A Key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Asking for BitLocker Recovery Key But I Did Not Set Up A Key: Hi. I had to remove the internal battery from my laptop. Now when I boot up the laptop it goes to a blue screen asking for me to enter the Bitlocker Recovery Key. I do not have this key. When I purchased this laptop everything was already set up and working. I read now that...
  10. I Didn't Set Up BitLocker Why am I Being Asked for a Recovery Key

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I Didn't Set Up BitLocker Why am I Being Asked for a Recovery Key: My laptop died and will not start. I removed the hard drive and got a sata to usb converter cable. I've connected the hard drive to an operating laptop to try to retrieve the data. when I try to access the hard drive it prompts for a bit locker recovery key. I never set up...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. nu vot

2. asus asking for bitlocker when it is not setup

3. BIT LOCKER IS SET FOR A PC THAT I DONT REMEBER SETTING UP

4. how to find my bitlocker key i never set it up