Windows 10: Asking for Network Credentials

Discus and support Asking for Network Credentials in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have two machines, A and B. Both run W10 1909 as local accounts. Each have the same user name and are connected to the same private network. Both... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Bluewind, May 26, 2020.

1. Bluewind Win User

Asking for Network Credentials

I have two machines, A and B. Both run W10 1909 as local accounts. Each have the same user name and are connected to the same private network. Both appear in the other's File Explorer. A can access B but when tries to access A it gets an "Enter Network Credentials" message. I've no idea what to enter.

Perhaps having the same user name on each machine confuses the issue.

Will someone please work with me to get around this?

I will really appreciate help.

:)

Bluewind, May 26, 2020

2. Network Credentials

Hi Sammy,

To assist you better regarding your concern with network credentials, have you checked the Windows credentials for any information about the username and password for the network credentials? If not yet, follow the steps below to access Windows Credentials
    manager.

• Press the Windows icon on the desktop.
    • Type in Windows Credentials.
    We would appreciate as well if you could provide us a screenshot.

Let us know how it goes.

Carlos Tin, May 26, 2020
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    Asking for Network Credentials when trying to access computer on the network

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are being asked for credentials when trying to access computers on the network. I’ll certainly help you with the issue.

Ideally, when you are asked for credentials, you will need to enter the username and password of the computer which you are trying to access. If you are on a secured network, you can turn off password protected sharing under Network and sharing options
    and you will not be prompted for a password.

If you are unable to access the computer by entering the username and password of the computer, one of thing that I can suggest you is to try entering the Device name and password when you receive the prompt. To check for the Device name, go to
    Start >> Settings >> System >> About.

If that doesn’t work, try the steps mentioned below:

1. On the computer for which you are being asked for password, type
      command prompt in the search bar on the Taskbar.
    2. Right click on the command prompt icon, and select
      Run as administrator.
    3. Now, type whoami and hit
      Enter
    You will get the name of the device, try using the name as the username and use the computer password.

Let us know the results, we will be glad to help you further.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, May 26, 2020
  4. Asking for Network Credentials

Edit Network Credentials

I just got my laptop back from the repair shop where the HD was wiped and Windows 10 reinstalled. I want to share other network devices, but I'm being asked for my Network Credentials. I don't know what they are. I can follow the steps to get to the credentials
    details link from Control Panel, but I can't seem to change or remove the hidden password. Advice? Suggestions?

TIA

Phil Irons, May 26, 2020
Thema:

Asking for Network Credentials

1. Asking for Network Credentials - Similar Threads - Asking Network Credentials

2. What is Windows looking for when asking for Network Credentials

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    What is Windows looking for when asking for Network Credentials: I don't mind this extra level of protection, IF IT WORKED. I have a 2-computer network - my main laptop R-LAPTOP and an older backup laptop C_LAPTOP. Just giving you the names in case that are needed. The 2 computer are USB connected through a Kensington Docking station....
  3. Asking to enter network credentials when access files on network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Asking to enter network credentials when access files on network: Hi, I did the update on our two PCs this morning. The first PCmain hold our data and the second PCcad accesses that data across the network. I can not get to Main from Cad any longer. It asks for a Network Login which I am unsure of. I can ping both ways between the PCs. Is...
  4. Asking for Network Credentials when trying to access computer on the network

Asking for Network Credentials when trying to access computer on the network: I know have all of my computers on Windows 10. When I had only one on Windows 10 I could share all of the computers and their files including the Windows 10 one. Now I can only share printers. I can see all of the computer under Network but when I press on one of the other...
  5. network credentials

network credentials: What are network credentials? Every time I try to look thru the network to see my other computers files I get a box asking for user and password. I have no idea how to fill this in. Can you help me or send me someplace where I can find out about networking?...
  6. windows security is suddenly asking for network credentials

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    windows security is suddenly asking for network credentials: I am running windows 10 with a DROBO attached via usb port to the computer. I am also using Genie Timeline Profession 2017 to maintain a backup. There is a new prompt that comes up when I try to access the DROBO it is a request to enter network credential to connect to the...
  7. WIN 10 Machine asking for Network Credentials.

WIN 10 Machine asking for Network Credentials.: My Newer PC that was working well and connected to my small network is now asking for Network Credentials. I have never had any in the first place. I have tried turning Passwords ON and OFF in the NETWORK Settings. (As suggested) still not able to open other PC'S File. Both...
  8. Network sharing asking for network credentials

Network sharing asking for network credentials: I am trying to connect to other pc's on my home network and have turned off password protected sharing. I can see the other computer in file explorer, but when I click on it I am asked for "Network Credentials". I have entered the Microsoft username and password and the...
  9. Windows 10 asks for network credentials to access other computers on network

Windows 10 asks for network credentials to access other computers on network: Why does MS make it a constant struggle to access other computers on a homegroup. Every time there is an update for windows 10 I have to reestablish my homegroup on all of my home network computers to share or copy files. Frankly it is a royal pain. Thanks Joe...
  10. Win 10 Suddenly asking for Network Credentials

Win 10 Suddenly asking for Network Credentials: Hello everyone, I'm new to the group. I have an interesting network problem. I'll try to be brief. I have four computers running Windows 10, 7 and XP Pro networked that use a common workgroup. Everything was working fine for months until just recently the computer running...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows networking keeps asking for network credentials