Windows 10: Asking for password instead of pin.

Discus and support Asking for password instead of pin. in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Last night I reset my PC as it was acting slow and app wouldn't start. I chose the option to keep files. This morning it is asking for a password to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by JetPardue, Jan 22, 2022.

1. JetPardue Win User

Asking for password instead of pin.

Last night I reset my PC as it was acting slow and app wouldn't start. I chose the option to keep files. This morning it is asking for a password to login rather than a PIN. I have tried resetting my password but the security questions are not the ones I set. I am thinking it's asking for the password I set when I setup the PC. I have also tried Start up repair a system restore and other things on troubleshoot. How can I login?

:)

JetPardue, Jan 22, 2022
  2. Gawin91 Win User

Windows 10 asks for password instead of PIN

I restarted my Windows 10 laptop and out of the blue, the login screen decides to ask for a password instead of my PIN which it usually does. Now I don't even remember if iIever set up a password, but if I did, I am very certain that there is only one I
    would have used, but it says it's incorrect. I want to ask if there is a way to make it ask for my PIN instead.

Also, for some reason it isn't showing internet connection even though i have it connected through ethernet.

Gawin91, Jan 22, 2022
  3. All ways ask for account password instead of pin

All ways ask for account password instead of pin and if i try to click on pin icon it say I can not use it due change in privacy option. I have removed my pin and added again just take my account password. How I can make PIN as my default.

juhisrivastava, Jan 22, 2022
  4. Asking for password instead of pin.

Windows 10 asking for login password even after upgrading the virus protection on the PC instead of PIN password. How to switch back to PIN password?

Hello Billy,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. We regret the inconvenience caused and will assist you in resolving the issue.

Before assisting further, I would like to ask you few questions:

• Do you see Sign-in options option on the lock screen?
    • Are you using Microsoft account to login into the user profile?

If you have set an alpha-numeric password at the installation stage of Windows 10 OS and then changed the sign-in option to PIN password, you will be able to choose between the passwords entries at the login screen of the Windows.

Method 1: I suggest you to check if you see the
    Sign-in options option on the lock screen. If you do, click on the option and check if you can choose and enter PIN password to access your user profile.

Method 2: If the option is not presented on the lock screen and you are using Microsoft account to login into the user profile,
    I suggest you to change the login password from the link below and set PIN password to your user account by following the steps below.

https://account.live.com/password/reset

• Press Windows logo key on the keyboard, type Settings and select the top most search result.
    • Select Accounts from the options and click on
      Sign-in options
      from the left side panel of the window.
    • Click on Add under PIN settings, verify your account and setup a new PIN password for your user account.

Write to us with the answers to the above questions and the status of the issue on the same post for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Jan 22, 2022
Thema:

Asking for password instead of pin.

1. Asking for password instead of pin. - Similar Threads - Asking password instead

2. Windows 11 login asking for password instead of pin

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 login asking for password instead of pin: Hello,My friends laptop usually asks for a 4 digit pin to log in. However today it is asking for a password which she is unable to remember or she never set one up as she uses the PIN. Some clarifying info, I believe the account is a local one on the laptop so password...
  3. Windows 11 is suddenly asking for PIN instead of password

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 is suddenly asking for PIN instead of password: HI,yesterday I went to my University and used my HP probook in the first two hours without any issues. Then I went to eat something and when I turned it on for the next class, it suddenly asked for a PIN instead of my password. To be honest I have never set up any PIN on the...
  4. Windows 11 is suddenly asking for PIN instead of password

Windows 11 is suddenly asking for PIN instead of password: HI,yesterday I went to my University and used my HP probook in the first two hours without any issues. Then I went to eat something and when I turned it on for the next class, it suddenly asked for a PIN instead of my password. To be honest I have never set up any PIN on the...
  5. windows suddenly asking for a pin login instead of a password

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows suddenly asking for a pin login instead of a password: I am having trouble logging in to my desktop. While streaming I was prompted to sign-in with a pin code which I never created in the first place. This also occurred with my laptop but I was able to login using the Microsoft authenticator app. My desktop doesn't provide that...
  6. Asking for password instead of pin.

Asking for password instead of pin.: Last night I reset my PC as it was acting slow and app wouldn't start. I chose the option to keep files. This morning it is asking for a password to login rather than a PIN. I have tried resetting my password but the security questions are not the ones I set. I am thinking...
  7. Asking for password instead of pin.

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Asking for password instead of pin.: Last night I reset my PC as it was acting slow and app wouldn't start. I chose the option to keep files. This morning it is asking for a password to login rather than a PIN. I have tried resetting my password but the security questions are not the ones I set. I am thinking...
  8. Windows suddenly asking for a PIN to login instead of Password

Windows suddenly asking for a PIN to login instead of Password: My laptop only accepts a PIN even though I only remember setting up a password.I do not have an option to switch login optionsI also don't see power options, which after doing some research, is the way where I can troubleshoot and uninstall latest updates. I am referencing...
  9. Windows asks for password instead of pin

Windows asks for password instead of pin: I ised to log in via pin, but today it asked for password, totally out of blue. I couldn’t figure the password so I reset it in my Microsoft account. But new password doesn’t work as well. What do I do?...
  10. Windows is asking for a password instead of Pin

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows is asking for a password instead of Pin: Hello I was getting some “host error” every time I’d start my computer so I followed this tutorial method number 3 to fix my problem, I disabled all windows services and restarted my computer. Upon restart it started asking me for my password which I don’t remember even tho...