Windows 10: Asking to enter network credentials when access files on network

Discus and support Asking to enter network credentials when access files on network in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I did the update on our two PCs this morning. The first PCmain hold our data and the second PCcad accesses that data across the network. I can not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by StephenConnors, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Asking to enter network credentials when access files on network

Hi, I did the update on our two PCs this morning. The first PCmain hold our data and the second PCcad accesses that data across the network. I can not get to Main from Cad any longer. It asks for a Network Login which I am unsure of. I can ping both ways between the PCs.

Is there a way of finding out the Credentials for the network? I do not recall ever setting up this username and password.

Thanks

Steve

***Modified title from: Win10 Update 10/2/2020***

:)

StephenConnors, Feb 11, 2020
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

Asking for Network Credentials when trying to access computer on the network

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are being asked for credentials when trying to access computers on the network. I’ll certainly help you with the issue.

Ideally, when you are asked for credentials, you will need to enter the username and password of the computer which you are trying to access. If you are on a secured network, you can turn off password protected sharing under Network and sharing options
    and you will not be prompted for a password.

If you are unable to access the computer by entering the username and password of the computer, one of thing that I can suggest you is to try entering the Device name and password when you receive the prompt. To check for the Device name, go to
    Start >> Settings >> System >> About.

If that doesn’t work, try the steps mentioned below:

1. On the computer for which you are being asked for password, type
      command prompt in the search bar on the Taskbar.
    2. Right click on the command prompt icon, and select
      Run as administrator.
    3. Now, type whoami and hit
      Enter
    You will get the name of the device, try using the name as the username and use the computer password.

Let us know the results, we will be glad to help you further.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Feb 11, 2020
  3. coffent Win User
    What "credentials information" do I enter to access network files?

I have a laptop and a desktop, both running Windows 10 v. 1903, with files that I want to share. I have set up a home network. With both computers I have set folders to share with full control to Everyone. With the desktop I can view and open files on the laptop. However when I try with the laptop to view files on the desktop I get the message

Enter Network Credentials
    Enter your credentials to connect to [desktop]

and it asks for User Name and Password.

What does it mean by "User Name"? I entered the name of the network and it accepted it as an account. And I entered the password I set up to access the network, but it says it's incorrect!

Since the desktop can access files on the laptop, isn't the laptop *already* on the network? Why can the desktop access laptop files but not v.v.?

What credentials information should I enter?

coffent, Feb 11, 2020
  4. dudley Win User

Asking to enter network credentials when access files on network

network issues, unable to enter network credentials

I upgraded two desktops to Win 10 (one from Win 7 and one from Win 8.1). I have issues with setting up a network.

First, I tried to set up a homegroup and I failed (i already posted another question on this subject with no luck so far). OK, forget about the homegroup, lets do it without it.

At this point, desktop A can see shared folders and a printer on desktop B - I did have to enter network credentials. Desktop B however cannot. It can see the desktop A under Network but when I click on it, it is asking to Enter network credential to connect to A. When I do that, it says that the user name or password is incorrect (and I am using the same user name and password that I use on desktop A to log on). What am I missing?

Both computers are on the same Workgroup "WORKGROUP". BTW - and I am not sure if that is relevant - when I try to enter credentials on desktop B and it is asking for User name and Password, just below it says "Domain: " - is my logging name.

Thanks for any suggestion.

dudley, Feb 11, 2020
Thema:

Asking to enter network credentials when access files on network

1. Asking to enter network credentials when access files on network - Similar Threads - Asking enter network

2. Enter Network Credentials

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Enter Network Credentials: I created a share on my computer, but other computers can't see the share. I keep getting the message Enter Network Credentials even though I turned off password on my wireless network....
  3. File Explorer>Network - Enter network credentials

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer>Network - Enter network credentials: I am trying to send a very large file on my desktop over my network to my laptop.Both my Accounts on my Desktop and Laptop use my Outlook account as the login.When I try to access either computers the Windows Security Pop-up says to Enter network Credentials.I try entering my...
  4. File Explorer>Network - Enter network credentials

File Explorer>Network - Enter network credentials: I am trying to send a very large file on my desktop over my network to my laptop.Both my Accounts on my Desktop and Laptop use my Outlook account as the login.When I try to access either computers the Windows Security Pop-up says to Enter network Credentials.I try entering my...
  5. Enter network credentials

Enter network credentials: This is odd. I have a Windows laptop and HP desktop, both with Windows 11. In the past I could easily share files/folders between the two, but now it asks for network credentials user name and password. I have no clue what to put there, and what is worse, I didn't need to...
  6. Enter network credentials

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Enter network credentials: This is odd. I have a Windows laptop and HP desktop, both with Windows 11. In the past I could easily share files/folders between the two, but now it asks for network credentials user name and password. I have no clue what to put there, and what is worse, I didn't need to...
  7. enter network credentials

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    enter network credentials: When trying to access other computers or my nas on my network I get the prompt to enter my network credentials. I can access them through remote access, or in the case of my Nas, the windows store app but not through file manager.I have tried every combination know to man, My...
  8. Enter Network Credentials - Access Denied

Enter Network Credentials - Access Denied: Hello Community!I am trying to access a hard drive on my PC Desktop from my laptop. Quick summary:Both connected to home wi-fi set as private networkPC in question has sharing enabled for the driveBoth computers can see each other on the networkPassword Protect Sharing is...
  9. Enter network Credentials

Enter network Credentials: Every few months I try and connect to our house network 2 PCs and printers. I have never been able to get past the Network Credentials problem. Where or how do I gain access to the other items? Please....
  10. Asking for Network Credentials when trying to access computer on the network

Asking for Network Credentials when trying to access computer on the network: I know have all of my computers on Windows 10. When I had only one on Windows 10 I could share all of the computers and their files including the Windows 10 one. Now I can only share printers. I can see all of the computer under Network but when I press on one of the other...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. user name and passwork for network sharing