Windows 10: ASM106x SATA Controller in Win10 Device Manager

Discus and support ASM106x SATA Controller in Win10 Device Manager in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, I am struggling with a PCI -E x 1 expansion card. The card provides SATA-3 connectivity and I cannot get my Win10 system to recognise it properly... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by jameswesthead, May 29, 2017.

1. ASM106x SATA Controller in Win10 Device Manager

Hi,
    I am struggling with a PCI -E x 1 expansion card. The card provides SATA-3 connectivity and I cannot get my Win10 system to recognise it properly (I think). I have connected an external hard drive (which is in a SATA supporting enclosure) to one of its sockets, but the hard drive is not recognised by my system. If I use a USB-2 connection instead, the drive is recognised. The expansion card is an ASMedia 1061and I have installed the latest Win10 driver for it. Having done so, I see that in Win10 Device Manager an 'Asmedia 106x SATA Controller' is now listed under 'Storage Controllers', whereas the driver installation instructions from ASMedia insist that it should appear under 'IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers'. When I left click on 'Asmedia 106x SATA Controller'/Properties, all seems to be well - the Events tab shows that the device Configured, Installed and Started. No errors are shown.
    Should the item really be under 'IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers' and if so, how do I get it there? My motherboard is a Gigagbyte GA-P35-DS3L using AHCI (which is demanded by the installation guide for the card).
    Any suggestions would be appreciated - ultimately, if I can get the thing to work at all, I want to connect a SATA SSD to one of the internal connectors on the expansion card.

:)

jameswesthead, May 29, 2017
  2. BoMak Win User

BSOD Errors on my Windows 10 PC

I can see Asmedia ASM106x SATA Host Controller Driver and Asmedia USB Host Controller Driver.

Should I uninstall these ?

BoMak, May 29, 2017
  3. auggy Win User
    Blue screen error (BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER) win10

Can you make sure the AMD SATA driver installed correctly:

Open the Device Manager and expand "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers"

Is "AMD SATA Controller" listed?

If so, the AMD SATA driver installed correctly.

auggy, May 29, 2017
  4. TV2
    TV2 Win User

ASM106x SATA Controller in Win10 Device Manager

I don't think you will normally see 'IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers' in a modern system. Maybe you do if you connect an old optical drive or something. So I don't think that the new SATA device showing up in Storage Controllers is a problem.

You say you are trying to connect a "SATA supporting enclosure". I'm not clear on what this is. You could be referring to an external hard drive in it's own case, or an actual external enclosure- one that allows you to connect multiple hard drives. Please clarify this.

It would be best to simplify your setup to test the card. This means connecting a single bare hard drive directly to the card using a standard SATA data cable, and powering the drive from one of the PC's power supply SATA connectors.
    This eliminates a lot of connectivity problems. You just want to know if the card is installed and works.

5. NavyLCDR New Member
    I'm curious if you looked in your device manager before posting this?

ASM106x SATA Controller in Win10 Device Manager [​IMG]

NavyLCDR, May 30, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    I don't have one of these cards/controllers, but the readme file for the driver says:

When you connect the drive to it, are you connecting the hard drive itself to the SATA port, or are you connected it through the enclosure? I would try taking the hard drive out of the enclosure and connecting the hard drive itself directly to the controller card, and, of course, a power cable from the power supply. It might be the enclosure that is interfering.

NavyLCDR, May 30, 2017
  7. I feel rather embarassed. *Redface

The device came with documentation for an old driver that referred to Windows Vista - and in that documentation the instruction was to look for the installed controller to be mentioned in Device Manager under 'IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers'.
    When I downloaded the new driver and its documentation, I didn't check that particular bit of the document, and so didn't see the change.*Redface*Redface
    So, yes, it does appear under 'Storage Controllers'.
    It had not occurred to me that the enclosure for the hard disk might be at fault - I have used it with an external SATA lead to connect it to a SATA 2 expansion card in the past with no problems. Now, of course, it is SATA 3.

I will disassemble the thing and do as you suggest.
    Thanks for the help.

jameswesthead, May 30, 2017
  8. ASM106x SATA Controller in Win10 Device Manager

Thanks Guys .. I have just connected my 'C' drive to one of the internal headers on the expansion card, and it works just fine..

jameswesthead, May 30, 2017
  9. TV2
    TV2 Win User
    Great!
    Now on to figuring out what's up with that external drive. Could be just a cable.

10. TV2
    TV2 Win User

11. TV2
    TV2 Win User
    I have an older desktop with a P6T motherboard, running the same version of Windows 10. It has the IDE/ATAPI Controllers.
    I think it just has to do with the chipset architecture.

Thema:

ASM106x SATA Controller in Win10 Device Manager

1. ASM106x SATA Controller in Win10 Device Manager - Similar Threads - ASM106x SATA Controller

2. Standard SATA AHCI Controller Hardware error in Device manager

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Standard SATA AHCI Controller Hardware error in Device manager: So my computer does run fine MOST of the time but I have Blue Screens of death sometimes. All my drivers are good... but in Device manager there is a yellow exclamation mark on Standard SATA AHCI Controllers and it says "This device cannot start". I actually had it disabled...
  3. Standard SATA AHCI Controller Hardware error in Device manager

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Standard SATA AHCI Controller Hardware error in Device manager: So my computer does run fine MOST of the time but I have Blue Screens of death sometimes. All my drivers are good... but in Device manager there is a yellow exclamation mark on Standard SATA AHCI Controllers and it says "This device cannot start". I actually had it disabled...
  4. Standard SATA AHCI Controller Hardware error in Device manager

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Standard Sata ACHI Controller Driver missing from Device Manager

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Standard Sata ACHI Controller Driver missing from Device Manager: Hello, I really hope someone can help with this.I used Outbyte Driver Updater to scan my PC and perform driver updates won't be doing that ever again.... After the driver updates completed, I noticed that my Sata SSD was no longer being read / showing up in the explorer.I can...
  6. Standard Sata ACHI Controller Driver missing from Device Manager

Standard Sata ACHI Controller Driver missing from Device Manager: Hello, I really hope someone can help with this.I used Outbyte Driver Updater to scan my PC and perform driver updates won't be doing that ever again.... After the driver updates completed, I noticed that my Sata SSD was no longer being read / showing up in the explorer.I can...
  7. Standard Sata AHCI Controller Driver missing from Device Manager

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Standard Sata AHCI Controller Driver missing from Device Manager: Hello, I really hope someone can help with this.I used Outbyte Driver Updater to scan my PC and perform driver updates won't be doing that ever again.... After the driver updates completed, I noticed that my Sata SSD was no longer being read / showing up in the explorer.I can...
  8. Standard Sata AHCI Controller Driver missing from Device Manager

Standard Sata AHCI Controller Driver missing from Device Manager: Hello, I really hope someone can help with this.I used Outbyte Driver Updater to scan my PC and perform driver updates won't be doing that ever again.... After the driver updates completed, I noticed that my Sata SSD was no longer being read / showing up in the explorer.I can...
  9. I need the Asmedia ASM106x SATA Host Controller

I need the Asmedia ASM106x SATA Host Controller: I need this driver but the one I tried to install does not show up in the device manager. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-need-the-asmedia-asm106x-sata-host-controller/54eec1f1-59ba-426e-a0b8-e8f86b22ec47
  10. ASM106x Sata Driver

ASM106x Sata Driver: Hello I have an ASUS Maximus VII Hero... It would seem ever since installing the Asmedia SATA Controller Driver V3.1.6.0 driver my 1 TB internal has issues.... as in it will be I quote from the event viewer "Disk 1 has been surprise removed" Anyone else encountered...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. asm106x windows 10

2. asmedia sata drive showing as external

3. asmedia 106x driver windows 10

4. no asm106x/r satacontroller device,
  5. asmedia 106x sata controller driver windows 10,
  6. asm106x show up as external drives,
  7. asmedia 106x sata controller driver win 10,
  8. asmedia 106x sata controller not displayed in device manager windows 10 ,
  9. NO ASM106X?R SATA Controller Device,
  10. ASM106x SATA Host Controller Driver 3.1.8.0000,
  11. no asm106x/r,