Windows 10: Assign COMM port number to USB port with USB to straight-through serial port adapter cable...

Discus and support Assign COMM port number to USB port with USB to straight-through serial port adapter cable... in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My OS is Windows 10, running on a Lenovo laptop with no serial ports, and I need to communicate with a lab instrument via its serial RS-232 port. The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by wockyjabber, Feb 20, 2020.

1. Assign COMM port number to USB port with USB to straight-through serial port adapter cable...

My OS is Windows 10, running on a Lenovo laptop with no serial ports, and I need to communicate with a lab instrument via its serial RS-232 port. The instrument manufacturer has informed me that a simple straight-through serial NOT null-modem connection is required, so I purchased a USB to straight-through RS-232 adapter cable.

I have previously installed null-modem adapter cables with built-in chip and driver installation on this USB port without problems i.e., it is automatically assigned a COMM port number. The straight-through adapter cable has no driver, and from what I've read, none is needed for a straight-through serial connection. I have removed all previous null-modem hardware and software installations from my system, but my terminal emulator cannot find my USB to serial adapter cable. No COMM ports are shown in Device Manager, even when I show hidden devices.

How do I get Win10 Device Manager to assign a COMM port number to this serial adapter cable on my USB port, so I can access it with my terminal emulator? Is some sort of generic driver for straight-through serial connectors available for Windows 10?

:)

wockyjabber, Feb 20, 2020

2. Profilic USB-to-Serial comm port driver is not working

Profilic USB-to-Serial comm port driver is not working

Chancel Nkaya, Feb 20, 2020
  3. Naresh_K Win User
    Changing the Port settings for Serial-USB.

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

If you want to change the port settings, please follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Open Device manager (right click on start button
      and then on Device manager).
    2. Then expand port (COMS & LPT).
    3. Then right click on Prolific USB-to Serial Comm Port and then on properties.
    4. Go to port settings and click on Advanced.
    5. You will be able to make the changes on this screen.

Hope this helps.

Naresh_K, Feb 20, 2020
  4. Assign COMM port number to USB port with USB to straight-through serial port adapter cable...

Profilic USB-to-Serial comm port driver is not working

Hi Chancel,

To help us to determine as to why the Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port on your computer is not working, I suggest checking the status of the device in Device Manager. Here's how:

1. Right-click the Windows key and select Device Manager.
    2. Expand the Ports (COM & LPT) category.
    3. Right-click on your Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port and click
      Properties.
    4. Under General, look for the Device status.

You may also run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter. This automated troubleshooter will also help identify and fix issues that it finds.

1. Navigate to Settings > Update & Security.
    2. Click Troubleshoot.
    3. Under Find and fix other problems, click Hardware and Devices, then click
      Run the troubleshooter.
    4. Follow the on-screen instructions.

Will be waiting for your response so I can help you further.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Feb 20, 2020
Thema:

Assign COMM port number to USB port with USB to straight-through serial port adapter cable...

1. Assign COMM port number to USB port with USB to straight-through serial port adapter cable... - Similar Threads - Assign COMM port

2. No Comm Port

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No Comm Port: I am trying to program radios with my computer. I have windows 11.When I load the driver or I guess try to I cannot see any comm ports in Device Manager.How do i resolve this issue?...
  3. No Comm Port

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No Comm Port: I am trying to program radios with my computer. I have windows 11.When I load the driver or I guess try to I cannot see any comm ports in Device Manager.How do i resolve this issue?...
  4. How to assign location information dedicated port number to all the USB ports

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to assign location information dedicated port number to all the USB ports: Hi,How does windows assigns location information for the USB port. Port no is defined by Windows.Does this port information remains same for all the physical ports of same make and same model? How can I change the location information for the USB ports.Hemadri...
  5. USB Serial Adapter COM Port Changes on Reboot

USB Serial Adapter COM Port Changes on Reboot: I have a Windows 10 Laptop with a USB Serial Port Adapter with an attached printer. When I reboot the computer, the COM port assigned to the USB adapter changes randomly so that the printer no longer works. What can I do to ensure that the Serial Port Adapter is always...
  6. USB serial port driver

USB serial port driver: Need a serial port driver fir Windies 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-serial-port-driver/92feaf39-367d-48ad-abf8-fe3a1c148ae8
  7. Changing the Port settings for Serial-USB.

Changing the Port settings for Serial-USB.: Hello, I am working on windows 10 Pro (version 1703). I've already installed the driver of a serial-usb multi-function cable, and it was successfully defined. But when I tried to access its port setting, the corresponding tab didn't appear at all in the driver properties....
  8. Port Setting Access for a Serial-USB multi-function cable

Port Setting Access for a Serial-USB multi-function cable: Hello, I am working on windows 10 Pro (version 1703). I've already installed the driver of a serial-usb multi-function cable, and it was successfully defined. But when I tried to access its port setting, the corresponding tab didn't appear at all in the driver properties....
  9. usb not assigning a com port

usb not assigning a com port: my usb device needs a com port how do i manually assign one https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-not-assigning-a-com-port/462324da-54ea-4a9e-b158-97992c4f4ad2
  10. physical serial ports (Not USB connected)

physical serial ports (Not USB connected): My tower has two physical (old school) serial ports which I need to use for a Kenwood CAT radio interface (TS-850) and a RigBlaster PRO soundcard digital interface at the same time. I have tried everything that google has found for me without any luck. I have tried 2 USB to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. comm ports settings windows 10 lenovo