Windows 10: Assign Default Mail App By GPO

Discus and support Assign Default Mail App By GPO in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; How does a domain administrator assign a Default Mail Application to windows 10 users without replacing the entire AppAssociations.xml? I want to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Kyle Haviland kyle, Apr 12, 2021.

1. Assign Default Mail App By GPO

How does a domain administrator assign a Default Mail Application to windows 10 users without replacing the entire AppAssociations.xml?

I want to only set the default mail app to Outlook instead of Windows Mail. I do not want to replace the entire AppAssociations.xml due to the truth that existing users have different file associations and one size xml does not fit all users.

:)

Kyle Haviland kyle, Apr 12, 2021
  2. dinci5 Win User

Disable Mail app via GPO

Hello,

In our environment we have the problem that the default association for the mailto: protocol is not consistently set to open Outlook.

So many users who click a mailto: link will be presented with the Mail app instead of Outlook.
    Then they end up logging in their Office 365 account in the Mail app.

I can't seem to find the GPO to disable the Mail app completely.
    I now ended up changing my default SCCM deployment to uninstall the Mail app but we still have about 1k devices with the app still installed.

Also, I'm pretty sure if we later this year start the upgrade to the latest W10 build the app will probably be installed again.

So, does anybody know how to disable this freaking thing via GPO?

Thank you

dinci5, Apr 12, 2021
  3. dalchina Win User
    Disable Mail app via GPO

Just wondering if that would solve it? If you have something changing the default association or mail program back to Mail, and Mail were disabled by GPO. wouldn't that simply result in the relevant message, Mail being blocked, sthg like

Assign Default Mail App By GPO [​IMG]

Perhaps, if you can't work out why the default is reverting to Mail, you might consider changing the permissions for the relevant registry keys.. a bit drastic though!

People using an old version of Winzip found their defaults reset on restart. There was one other program that had that effect as I recall.

Another thought was that settings were being synced.

You might consider trying something like this:
    http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/wi...-associations/

dalchina, Apr 12, 2021
  4. Brink Win User

Assign Default Mail App By GPO

Mail app will not open on 10041.

Hello Adam,

This is the suggested solution below if you haven't already tried it. Assign Default Mail App By GPO :)

In this Windows 10 build 10041, the Mail, Calendar, and People apps may be broken due to a licensing issue with the Store Beta. To get these apps working again, you need to follow these steps:

• Open powershell as administrator
    • Run the command Get-appxprovisionedpackage –online | where-object {$_.packagename –like “*windowscommunicationsapps*”} | remove-appxprovisionedpackage –online
    • Re-install Mail, People and Calendar from the Store (green tile)

Brink, Apr 12, 2021
Thema:

Assign Default Mail App By GPO

1. Assign Default Mail App By GPO - Similar Threads - Assign Default Mail

2. Windows 10 forgets assigned default apps

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 forgets assigned default apps: Hi, This question exact same title and issue is the same as someone posted 27 January 2018.Can you imagine!Three years later and you microsoft programmers still didn't act!For example if I associate Mp3 with MPC-BE portable it is set as default app but once in a while MS...
  3. Default Browser assignment

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Default Browser assignment: I use Microsoft Edge, but also Google Chrome and Firefox. I would like the option to assign NO default for my browsers, rather than having one and having to either copy addresses or re-make links in order to open desktop links, perhaps with the "open with" option available...
  4. mail app as a default

mail app as a default: Why would I use "mail" in windows 10 when I already have a gmail account? What is the purpose of "mail"? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mail-app-as-a-default/5633cbb2-8eb8-45a8-a6d6-9540d17f450d
  5. Assigning default browser

Assigning default browser: Need help with assigning default programs. Upgraded to windows 10 Pro 64 bit from Win 7 64 bit. My browser of choice is Firefox. When I open Firefox, I am told it is not my default browser. When I try to set it to be default, Settings opens to allow me to make my choice....
  6. default mail app

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    default mail app: Every time I start up my PC since I updated to 1903 I get a message that there is no mail app associated. I do not have Outlook, only the Mail app from the app store. When I look at file associations or default programs I see Mail but I still get the weird message every...
  7. Default Mail app will not set

Default Mail app will not set: I use Windows 10 Mail as my mail app. When I set Defaults, it was listed as the recommended choice. But when I open a folder and right click on a file to Sendto email, I get the message that there is no mail program associated. I rummaged in the Registry and found Hotmail...
  8. Chrome assigned as default email? Using Yahoo Mail

in Browsers and Email
    Chrome assigned as default email? Using Yahoo Mail: Novice here. Completely confused btw. Chrome is assigned as default email for W10. Actually using Yahoo Mail on AT&T Web browser. The to the point problem is that I am trying to send a zip file(containing photos) via Yahoo email and I cannot get it to attach to email...
  9. Disable Mail app via GPO

in Browsers and Email
    Disable Mail app via GPO: Hello, In our environment we have the problem that the default association for the mailto: protocol is not consistently set to open Outlook. So many users who click a mailto: link will be presented with the Mail app instead of Outlook. Then they end up logging in their...
  10. No default mail app

in Browsers and Email
    No default mail app: I want to right click on a file and send it to a mail recipient but Windows 10 PRO 16299.309 tell me there is no default mail client. I have looked at the Windows default mail app and it is set to Outlook 2016, no success. I have opened Outlook 2016 and made sure that I...