Windows 10: Assign different network profiles (locations) for Ethernet and Wi-Fi

Discus and support Assign different network profiles (locations) for Ethernet and Wi-Fi in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I have tried to set my notebook to use the Private network profile (location) for Ethernet and use the Public network profile for Wi-Fi. But it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by drkh, May 21, 2018.

1. drkh Win User

Assign different network profiles (locations) for Ethernet and Wi-Fi

Hi,

I have tried to set my notebook to use the Private network profile (location) for Ethernet and use the Public network profile for Wi-Fi. But it turns out that it's impossible. When the network profile is changed for one of them, the other also changes automatically to use the same profile.

The notebook is connected to my ISP's broadband VTU-R with network cables. The private IP of the VTU-R is 192.168.1.1. The private IP of the notebook's network card is manually set to 192.168.0.4 (different segment) with the VTU-R being the default gateway.

The VTU-R also supports Wi-Fi. When Wi-Fi connection is established, the notebook obtains its Internet IP automatically.

Is it possible to assign different profiles for Ethernet and Wi-Fi respectively?

The OS of the notebook is Windows 10 Pro, version 1709, build 16299.402.

:)

2. Different Network Connection From the same Wi-Fi

Hi,

Thank you for providing the details.

As mentioned above in your post, the Desktop is connected to the Ethernet
    and Laptop is Connected to the Wi-Fi. It is not possible to connect to the same Wi-Fi networks. If both Desktop and Laptop are on Wi-Fi devices then you could try connecting it to the same Wi-Fi network.

• Did you try the below step provided and what was the result?
    I would suggest you to create a new HomeGroup and check if it helps.
    Refer: HomeGroup
    from start to finish

(Applies to Windows 10 as well)

Keep us posted to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, May 21, 2018
  3. Different Network Connection From the same Wi-Fi

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

• What happens when you try to connect through the Wi-Fi, are you able to access to internet?
    • Does your Desktop support or does it has a Wi-Fi device to connect to the same Wi-Fi?
    As mentioned above in your post, the Desktop is connected to the Ethernet
    and Laptop is Connected to the Wi-Fi. It is not possible to connect to the same Wi-Fi networks. If both Desktop and Laptop are on Wi-Fi devices then you could try connecting it to the same Wi-Fi network.

Note: To transfer the files you have to share the files and folders on a network.

Method 1: If you are already using the HomeGroup.
    Network discovery might be blocking you from seeing other computers and devices on the network. Check if the Network discovery is turned on. If the network discovery setting on your computer is set to off, you won't see other computers and devices
    on the network.

Steps to Turn on network discovery.

• Press Windows key, type sharing and click on
      Manage advanced sharing settings.
    • Under Private, Network discovery, check mark the option
      Turn on network discovery.
    • Try the same on all the computers connected to the network.
    If the issue still persists,

Method 2: I would suggest you to
    create a new HomeGroup and check if it helps.

Refer: HomeGroup
    from start to finish

(Applies to Windows 10 as well)

Keep us posted to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, May 21, 2018
Thema:

Assign different network profiles (locations) for Ethernet and Wi-Fi

1. Assign different network profiles (locations) for Ethernet and Wi-Fi - Similar Threads - Assign different network

2. Wi-Fi not working with Ethernet

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wi-Fi not working with Ethernet: Wi-Fi not working when using Ethernet cable. It says: “Ethernet” doesn’t have a valid IP configuration. It mentions how my data provider may have a limit on my data but can it remove my Wi-Fi connection to my PC? Idk pls help...
  3. Wi-Fi not working with Ethernet

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wi-Fi not working with Ethernet: Wi-Fi not working when using Ethernet cable. It says: “Ethernet” doesn’t have a valid IP configuration. It mentions how my data provider may have a limit on my data but can it remove my Wi-Fi connection to my PC? Idk pls help...
  4. Wi-Fi not working with Ethernet

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Ethernet connected but not Wi-Fi

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Ethernet connected but not Wi-Fi: Hi there I have an Ethernet cable attached to my PC but also want the Wi-Fi connected too as a back etc. but every time I Connect to Wi-Fi it says unable to connect to network. Now the Ethernet is connected no problem and my wife's computer is connected to Wi-Fi no issues,...
  6. Windows 10, Ethernet + Wi-Fi - Location services put computer in a different state.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10, Ethernet + Wi-Fi - Location services put computer in a different state.: When Wi-Fi ethernet adapter (intel-based chip) is turned on, location services fail. It shows me a thousand miles away. Wi-Fi isn't connected to a network. This is a desktop system, and the Wi-Fi adapter is a PCIx1 card. When I flip Wi-Fi off and only use Ethernet, my...
  7. Network bridge working between an ethernet and Wi-Fi connection, but the Wi-Fi won't...

Network bridge working between an ethernet and Wi-Fi connection, but the Wi-Fi won't...: I'm using a network bridge between my normal wifi connection to my main router connected to the internet, and an ethernet connection to a second router that I use exclusively for connecting an Oculus Quest 2 via Virtual desktop, which doesn't have internet access directly...
  8. Wi-Fi and Ethernet together

Wi-Fi and Ethernet together: Trying to increase downland speeds.Currently just using Wi-Fi. 1, Will combining the two methods help and will it work? 2. What settings need to be changed in my Wi-Fi router ? (TP-Link) 3. Win 10 Home 4. Am I wasting my time considering this? My provider is Spectrum....
  9. Ethernet/ Wi-Fi Conflict??

Ethernet/ Wi-Fi Conflict??: My Windows 10 desktop is immediately next to my XFINITY Xfi modem. The computer has a wired Ethernet connection and is also connecting by Wi-Fi. The computer often drops its internet connection while a laptop in another room connected only by Wi-Fi stays connected...
  10. Changing Name Assigned to Wi Fi Location

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing Name Assigned to Wi Fi Location: How do I change only the Name given to home-based wi fi setup? NOT the hardware-software (they're working fine). Just rename the setup from some hardware jargon to "BG DB HOME"....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 assign network profile ethernet