Windows 10: Assigning a custom command to a keyboard "F" function key

Discus and support Assigning a custom command to a keyboard "F" function key in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi all, I would like to create a custom function for a "F" key. For example, I would like to have a shortcut that opens a regularly used folder on a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by GregH, May 26, 2020.

1. GregH Win User

Assigning a custom command to a keyboard "F" function key

Hi all,

I would like to create a custom function for a "F" key. For example, I would like to have a shortcut that opens a regularly used folder on a particular drive in my PC simply by hitting "F6". Currently I have to do multiple clicks as the folder sits inside other folders on a second hard drive (DAssigning a custom command to a keyboard "F" function key :). I don't want to move the folder.

Would be great too if I could for example click File - Save As - "F6" - Enter, to save the file in this folder.

Is there an option to customize an F key to do this? I know most F keys already have functions assigned but I seldom use any of them.

This is on a laptop - Dell 5590 with Win 10 Pro but I am also usually using a standard wireless Microsoft desktop keyboard and mouse.

Thanks!

:)

GregH, May 26, 2020
  2. GregH Win User

Hi all,

I would like to create a custom function for a "F" key. For example, I would like to have a shortcut that opens a regularly used folder on a particular drive in my PC simply by hitting "F6". Currently I have to do multiple clicks as the folder sits inside other folders on a second hard drive (DAssigning a custom command to a keyboard "F" function key :). I don't want to move the folder.

Would be great too if I could for example click File - Save As - "F6" - Enter, to save the file in this folder.

Is there an option to customize an F key to do this? I know most F keys already have functions assigned but I seldom use any of them.

This is on a laptop - Dell 5590 with Win 10 Pro but I am also usually using a standard wireless Microsoft desktop keyboard and mouse.

Thanks!

GregH, May 26, 2020
  3. dalchina Win User

Hi, you can do that readily with Autohotkey (free).
    Download and install that, then double click this ahk (text) file (attached), which I've had to zip for the forum to accept the upload.
    CTRL F9 will then open the Windows folder.
    (in the file - ! = CTRL)
    Amend as necessary.
    Rt click and click 'Compile' to produce a .exe file

If you want quick access to favourite folders - and a lot more- one way is to use Listary (free).
    Middle click empty space in an explorer and almost all open/save dialogues and you get this:

Assigning a custom command to a keyboard "F" function key [​IMG]

If you wanted a quick way to save a file to a certain folder, use rt click, Send to.

Here I have added a shortcut to the specific folder in my Sendto folder (Test folder).

If I rt click a file, click Send to, click Test folder, that file is copied to Test folder.

To access your Sendto folder,:
    Win key + R, shell:SendTo, enter

dalchina, May 26, 2020
  4. Assigning a custom command to a keyboard "F" function key

Keyboard Volume Keys not working while in-game

I happen to have used the Tt Challenger Pro keyboard in the past, and the volume keys worked flawlessly in every game, so it's indeed a weird problem. I would suggest the same thing sneekypeet suggested, using the keyboard software and assign this function to a hotkey, but you said that didn't work either, so yeah...

George_o/c, May 26, 2020
Thema:

1. Assigning a custom command to a keyboard "F" function key - Similar Threads - Assigning custom command

2. Fn Lock and external keyboard function keys F-keys acting as multimedia keys

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fn Lock and external keyboard function keys F-keys acting as multimedia keys: Hi there,So I seem to have this problem with my external keyboard.The 'Fn lock' is enabled on my laptop, but still the F-keys on my external keyboard act as if it were off act as multimedia keys. When I turn off 'Fn lock' on my laptop, the F-keys on my external keyboard still...
  3. Fn Lock and external keyboard function keys F-keys acting as multimedia keys

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Fn Lock and external keyboard function keys F-keys acting as multimedia keys: Hi there,So I seem to have this problem with my external keyboard.The 'Fn lock' is enabled on my laptop, but still the F-keys on my external keyboard act as if it were off act as multimedia keys. When I turn off 'Fn lock' on my laptop, the F-keys on my external keyboard still...
  4. F key functions

in Windows 10 Customization
    F key functions: I've been using COREL DRAW from the first addition. "ZOOM" in and out functions were controlled by using the F2, F3 & F4 buttons while in the program. Lightening destroyed my old Windows 7 and 10 computers. The new ones.... F keys open internet or advertising or puts the...
  5. How to assign a key to a different function but also assign it to its own function by...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to assign a key to a different function but also assign it to its own function by...: I basically want to make the forward-slash key "\", to have the function of the left shift key. So I found an app called "Sharpkeys" which helped me do this.However, I still want the forward-slash key to perform its own normal function only if I hold "Ctrl". The app doesn't...
  6. switching f# keys function

switching f# keys function: so I'm using a Microsoft surface 3 and i need to switch the functions of the f1, f2, f3, etc. buttons and I've tried BIOS, the mobility center and the keyboard control panel, to no avail. any suggestions? i never use these keys except in cases of gaming, and i cant because...
  7. The F keys on the keyboard

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    The F keys on the keyboard: For some reason, anytime I press the keys on the top of my laptop's computer, such as the volume or brightness buttons, it just goes straight to the F key's function, such as opening inspect. What can I do to fix this?...
  8. how to assign the function keys

how to assign the function keys: How do I assign the function keys? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-assign-the-function-keys/be4471e2-dc08-43cf-a6df-67e985e30a7c
  9. how to assign f key to comtrol camera

how to assign f key to comtrol camera: how to assign fkey to turn and off camera https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-assign-f-key-to-comtrol-camera/f34d923e-ca99-447a-99d9-49ab29438592
  10. Software to assign function keys?

Software to assign function keys?: I would like to make function keys to mute, volume up, and volume down. How can this be done? Are there hot keys or shortcuts to do this? Or is there software that can assign these to function keys? 58791