Windows 10: assigning a default program for opening .bat files

Discus and support assigning a default program for opening .bat files in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; see images folks. why can't I in win 10? I want notepad++. possible? [ATTACH] [ATTACH]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by AdamEvanovich2, Feb 4, 2021.

1. assigning a default program for opening .bat files

see images folks. why can't I in win 10? I want notepad++. possible?

assigning a default program for opening .bat files 74dac168-2e47-493e-91eb-5fc5a33f8b48?upload=true.jpg

assigning a default program for opening .bat files 53b8d053-e8a7-417e-a8e8-6e5406eb9620?upload=true.jpg

:)

AdamEvanovich2, Feb 4, 2021
  2. jjensson Win User

Win10 forgets assigned default programs

It's a real PITA. Not only is it extremely difficult to assign default programs (either no option for "default" or it just doesn't take my choice) for different media, but once assigned, Win10 later forgets the default program and opens it with another.

For instance: I have assigned all audio file types (mp3, wav, m3u etc.) to open with Winamp. I've done this by manually assigning a default program for every single file type in "Control Panel - Default Programs - Associate a file type...", because every other option failed.

Later, after a reboot, it still shows "Winamp" in the list of file types. But Win10 now opens m3u-files with VLC player! *Mad Is this a known problem? Is there any solution to this? I'm going hardcore, with registry keys etc - only need the info. *Nerd

And 2nd question: some file types are not listed under "Control Panel - Default Programs - Associate a file type...". How can i assign these missing file types to a program?

Any help highly appreciated.

jjensson, Feb 4, 2021
  3. Open .bat files with Notepad in Windows 10

What you need to do is probably to add the "Edit" action as a new context option to ".bat" file; since if you changed the Default Program" as suggested, you won't be able to run the BAT file when double (or single) clicked.

You can use the little utility called "Types" (I believe it's a freeware.) to define all sorts of actions to any file types. It works since XP till Win 10.

BTW, Win10 does not allow a BAT file to be assigned as an "Open With..." executor. "Types" actually came to rescue the situation. Besides the flat and blurry rendering of the dialogs, there are also all kind of annoying short-comings in Win 10. Not sure
    what M/S is trying to pull off...

Postino_888, Feb 4, 2021
  4. assigning a default program for opening .bat files

How to set Default program/application to open the files in Windows 10.

Hello Des,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. We regret the inconvenience caused and will assist you in resolving the issue.

Before assisting further, I would like to ask you few questions:

• On accessing which file type are you getting the above error message?
    • What are the troubleshooting methods performed to resolve the issue?
    • Did you check if the issue persists on assigning a default program/application to open the file type?

A default program is the program that Windows uses when you open a particular type of file, such as a music file, an image, or a webpage. For example, if you have more than one web browser installed on your computer, you can choose one of them to be
    the default browser.

You may be facing the above issue due to unassigned program or application to open that particular file type on the computer. Assigning the default program or application for the file types will help in ease of accessibility on launching the file.

Assign a default program to open the file type from Settings page by following the steps below:

• Press Windows logo key on the keyboard, type Default programs and select the top most search result.
    • Scroll the page down and click on Choose default apps by file type from the window.
    • Locate the file format from the window, click on the file and choose an application from
      Choose an App window as default file opener.
    • Close the window and check if you are able to open the file type in the set default application.

Write to us with the answers to the above questions and the status of the issue on the same post for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Feb 4, 2021
Thema:

assigning a default program for opening .bat files

1. assigning a default program for opening .bat files - Similar Threads - assigning default program

2. Cant open .bat file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cant open .bat file: I am trying to open a .bat file and when I open it I get an error pop up saying "This app cant run on your pc" I am wondering how to resolve this issue https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-open-bat-file/48319b2d-06b7-4344-9cca-a7d038f789df
  3. Cant open .bat file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cant open .bat file: I am trying to open a .bat file and when I open it I get an error pop up saying "This app cant run on your pc" I am wondering how to resolve this issue https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-open-bat-file/48319b2d-06b7-4344-9cca-a7d038f789df
  4. Trying to edit a .bat file but can't assign default app what's happening?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trying to edit a .bat file but can't assign default app what's happening?: Searched .bat and nothing showed up. Right clicking does not give option to "open with" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/trying-to-edit-a-bat-file-but-cant-assign-default/9e84c035-d729-4410-9a7c-72bfa01693b6
  5. Trying to edit a .bat file but can't assign default app what's happening?

Trying to edit a .bat file but can't assign default app what's happening?: Searched .bat and nothing showed up. Right clicking does not give option to "open with" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/trying-to-edit-a-bat-file-but-cant-assign-default/9e84c035-d729-4410-9a7c-72bfa01693b6
  6. I am unable to change my default program for .bat files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I am unable to change my default program for .bat files: When I type .bat into set defaults for file types nothing comes up.I've always been able to do this in other versions of windows.I do have a .bat file on my hard drive....
  7. I am unable to change my default program for .bat files

I am unable to change my default program for .bat files: When I type .bat into set defaults for file types nothing comes up.I've always been able to do this in other versions of windows.I do have a .bat file on my hard drive....
  8. cant open .bat file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    cant open .bat file: I cant open the .bat file it says This app can't be run on your pc to find a version for your pc check with the software publisher I have my account activated. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-open-bat-file/99d3a3d7-a386-4dbc-b566-543e786fe354
  9. Can't open .bat files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't open .bat files: I want to open a .bat file. I double click on it, it appears on the screen in less then 1 second and then it disappears. What can I do? submitted by /u/Dieghito03 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/fl7csj/cant_open_bat_files/
  10. Win10 forgets assigned default programs

Win10 forgets assigned default programs: It's a real PITA. Not only is it extremely difficult to assign default programs (either no option for "default" or it just doesn't take my choice) for different media, but once assigned, Win10 later forgets the default program and opens it with another. For instance: I...