Windows 10: Assigning a static location for my computer regardless of my actual location

Discus and support Assigning a static location for my computer regardless of my actual location in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have DSL internet access. This internet service tells my computer that I'm at physical locations that I am not at. For instance, it will say I am at... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Thin&Crispy, May 12, 2022.

1. Assigning a static location for my computer regardless of my actual location

I have DSL internet access. This internet service tells my computer that I'm at physical locations that I am not at. For instance, it will say I am at "Elmhurst, WV" when my home is located in "Pine Forest, WV." I want my computer to disregard what the internet provider is determining to be my location and allow me to set my location manually to "Pine Forest, WV." These town names are fictitious names How do I do this?

:)

Thin&Crispy, May 12, 2022
  2. Ripper3 Win User

FS/FT Thread title location

One more suggestion for B/S/T forum is the inclusion of a location made mandatory.
    I know it's already possible, but there's a limited choice in locations, and not many people use it, assuming that because they're in the US, they don't need to.
    The problem from this comes when they state quite clearly (although sometimes not clearly at all), they only ship to the US.
    Making location mandatory in the thread title would save a bit of time and hassle, and would make searching the forum easier.

A suggestion for this: use the poster's location, if they've added a correct location, as the default.

It's not like it's an issue of privacy, the poster will tell where they're from within the post in a round-about way.

Not a big suggestion, but I thought I'd throw it in there.

Ripper3, May 12, 2022
  3. Karen Her Win User
    Location setting

Hi,

This issue could occur due to incorrect location settings or it would depend on your IP address. We suggest you to check the location settings of your PC, and check if it helps. Here are the steps:

• Click the Start button, and select Settings.
    • Go to Privacy, and choose Location.
    • Make sure that the Location service is On.

If issue persists, then it has something to do with your IP address. It’s because the location detected depends on the location set on your IP address.

Let us know how it goes.

Karen Her, May 12, 2022
  4. Assigning a static location for my computer regardless of my actual location

Location service is greyed out

Hi Shahriar,

Thank you for responding.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused for you, I suggest you to try the below troubleshooting steps and check If it helps.

Step 1: Steps to turn on the Location settings.

• Login as an administrator.
    • Press Windows key, type Location settings and select
      Change location settings.
    • Check whether Location for this device is On by clicking on
      Change
    • Also turn on Location as well.

Step 2: And as you are unable to set the service Geolocation service to automatic, I suggest you to run SFC scan and check.

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

Follow the below steps:

• Right click on the Start button, click on
      Command Prompt (Admin).

• Type “sfc /scannow” without the quotes and hit
      Enter.

• After the scan, restart the computer and check for the issue.

Try to set the service to automatic by following the steps provided in the above post by Praveen Venugopal.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of the issue, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, May 12, 2022
Thema:

Assigning a static location for my computer regardless of my actual location

1. Assigning a static location for my computer regardless of my actual location - Similar Threads - Assigning static location

2. My location

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My location: Why is my location so not even close to where I'm at https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-location/928a6954-aff3-4bc7-a57e-d535005b6ff1
  3. My location

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My location: Why is my location so not even close to where I'm at https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-location/928a6954-aff3-4bc7-a57e-d535005b6ff1
  4. My Location

My Location: When using the Windows Maps Application my location isn't correct. Why is it showing my location at someone else's residence? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-location/0f06e9cc-7bd8-4a8a-a277-b55e3cfa0a0f
  5. Assigning a static location for my computer regardless of my actual location

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Assigning a static location for my computer regardless of my actual location: I have DSL internet access. This internet service tells my computer that I'm at physical locations that I am not at. For instance, my computer say I am at "Elmhurst, WV" when I am at my home in "Pine Forest, WV" which is 60 miles from "Elmhurst, WV." I want my computer to...
  6. Assigning a static location for my computer regardless of my actual location

Assigning a static location for my computer regardless of my actual location: I have DSL internet access. This internet service tells my computer that I'm at physical locations that I am not at. For instance, my computer say I am at "Elmhurst, WV" when I am at my home in "Pine Forest, WV" which is 60 miles from "Elmhurst, WV." I want my computer to...
  7. My computer location and BSOD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My computer location and BSOD: I am having a problem with windows finding my location. Sometimes it shows I am in another city in Ohio sometime on another street in my town of Fostoria Ohio. How do I fix this problem? Second I keep getting several BSOD notifications such as aswbidsdriver.sys or kernel mode...
  8. Change my location on my computer.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Change my location on my computer.: I have tried the these steps: Start,Setting,Privacy,Location,Default location select set defaultthese last two steps,I could not find I never was able to see a map,to follow instructions to change my default location. These steps did not work for me. Can someone...
  9. My Location!

in Windows 10 Customization
    My Location!: how do I get windows to use and indicate my correct location? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-location/b3b3690b-ed6e-4f82-b03c-df2fbc377452
  10. MY COMPUTER location ??

in Windows 10 Support
    MY COMPUTER location ??: Win build 10041 Where do I find "my computer" ....In windows 7 it was in the start menu and I pinned it to (sent it to desktop made a shortcut to it etc) ? I am unable to find it in win 10 build 10041.. would like some help please.. Thanks in advance.. *Biggrin 5191