Windows 10: Assigning certain Desktop Icon layouts to specific themes

Discus and support Assigning certain Desktop Icon layouts to specific themes in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi! This might sound like kind of a dumb question, but I was wondering if there's a way that I can have certain Desktop Icon layouts for certain... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by ThemeGeek, Jul 23, 2020.

1. ThemeGeek Win User

Assigning certain Desktop Icon layouts to specific themes

Hi! This might sound like kind of a dumb question, but I was wondering if there's a way that I can have certain Desktop Icon layouts for certain themes? Themes are something that I enjoy making, and I switch between them frequently, and Windows 10 is really good for that since I can save themes, and won't have to change all the settings manually each time, but I still have to manually move all of my desktop icons when switching between from a fun and busy theme to a sleek and minimalist theme. Is there any way to set a kind of Desktop layout preference when creating a theme?

:)

ThemeGeek, Jul 23, 2020
  2. ThemeGeek Win User

Hi! This might sound like kind of a dumb question, but I was wondering if there's a way that I can have certain Desktop Icon layouts for certain themes? Themes are something that I enjoy making, and I switch between them frequently, and Windows 10 is really
    good for that since I can save themes, and won't have to change all the settings manually each time, but I still have to manually move all of my desktop icons when switching between from a fun and busy theme to a sleek and minimalist theme. Is there any way
    to set a kind of Desktop layout preference when creating a theme?

ThemeGeek, Jul 30, 2020
  3. crysw32 Win User

Hello! My name is Crystal and I am a Windows expert. I would love to assist you.

I love that you enjoy switching themes! It can be a ton of fun.

Unfortunately you cannot lock your icons to a theme, but what I do to keep my desktop uncluttered (I also like an attractive desktop screen!) is pin my most used items to my taskbar so I can easily access them, and then remove the desktop icon.

I know it isn’t the answer you were hoping for, but it definitely makes my home screen nicer looking!

If you need us again, we are here! Stay safe !

crysw32, Jul 30, 2020
  4. Assigning certain Desktop Icon layouts to specific themes

Desktop icon layout

I know there are threads on how to maintain icon layout position, but I find none of them to be adequate. Why can't Microsoft just add a simple feature to save and restore desktop icon positions? Or simply just not mess them all up in the first place? And
    no, unchecking the 'auto arrange' or 'Allow themes to change desktop icons' doesn't work. Just check the 'This PC' in the 'Desktop Icon Settings', apply, then remove it and your icon layout will be messed up. The User interface is one of the most important
    element of any software. The reason people put icons on the desktop is for ease and quick access to their favorite applications. Microsoft just don't seem to get that. It's something that's been bugging me ever since I started using Windows.

I would have liked to pick 'Incompetence' for 'Category', but it wasn't listed...

MathieuComeau, Jul 30, 2020
Thema:

1. Assigning certain Desktop Icon layouts to specific themes - Similar Threads - Assigning certain Desktop

2. Start specific applications in a certain virtual desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start specific applications in a certain virtual desktop: Usually, I have 3 virtual desktops active. The applications I use are as follows. Workspace 1 - IDE, Obsidian Workspace 2 - Firefox Workspace 3 - Discord, SpotifyEvery time I turn up my laptop, I start them manually and put them into the correct workspaces. I want them to...
  3. Start specific applications in a certain virtual desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start specific applications in a certain virtual desktop: Usually, I have 3 virtual desktops active. The applications I use are as follows. Workspace 1 - IDE, Obsidian Workspace 2 - Firefox Workspace 3 - Discord, SpotifyEvery time I turn up my laptop, I start them manually and put them into the correct workspaces. I want them to...
  4. Start specific applications in a certain virtual desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Messed up desktop icon layout

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Messed up desktop icon layout: While I was playing Team Foretress 2 the screen glitched for a second and went back to normal. At first I didn't think much of it but when I closed the game now all of my desktop icons are screwed up, all of the other icons that don't fit get smooshed into the top left...
  6. Messed up desktop icon layout

Messed up desktop icon layout: While I was playing Team Foretress 2 the screen glitched for a second and went back to normal. At first I didn't think much of it but when I closed the game now all of my desktop icons are screwed up, all of the other icons that don't fit get smooshed into the top left...
  7. Assign an icon to a specific file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Assign an icon to a specific file: As stated in the title, I want to assign an icon to a specific file on Windows 10. It's not a shortcut, it is a file in its original directory. And I don't want to assign the same icon to all files of a specific file type, just one specific file and I want my icon to be a...
  8. Is it possible to assign a specific app to a specific desktop?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it possible to assign a specific app to a specific desktop?: When using multidesktop, I can assign Microsoft Word to desktop #2. But then if I scroll to desktop #3, and if I open another Microsoft Word document, it will place it into desktop #3. I am curious if it is possible to limit certain apps to certain desktops. submitted by...
  9. Assigning Application to Specific Virtual Desktop

Assigning Application to Specific Virtual Desktop: Is there any way to restrict a specific application to a specific desktop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_desk/assigning-application-to-specific-virtual-desktop/f7e08427-455e-4c78-b1bd-806c6f4c1557
  10. Assigning Application to Specific Desktop

Assigning Application to Specific Desktop: Is there any way to restrict a specific application to a specific desktop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_desk/assigning-application-to-specific-desktop/f7e08427-455e-4c78-b1bd-806c6f4c1557