Windows 10: Assigning file extentions

Discus and support Assigning file extentions in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My default program for the .wmv extension is DivXplus Player. I want to change it to VLC Media Player. On Windows 8.1 it was real easy to do that.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by doncole, Jan 27, 2019.

1. doncole Win User

Assigning file extentions

My default program for the .wmv extension is DivXplus Player.

I want to change it to VLC Media Player.

On Windows 8.1 it was real easy to do that.

It gave you a list of extensions and you could assign any executable to it.

On Windows 10 I never could figure out how to do that.

Don Cole

:)

doncole, Jan 27, 2019

2. Cannot Assign Applicaitons to File Extentions

No. VISIO is not an option. I have 2 options:

• Open the file in Microsoft Explorer
    • Search the App Store for an application
    For some reason VISIO is also not showing up in my list of installed apps. My computer was having performance issues, so I reset the computer over the weekend.

RichardMichna, Jan 27, 2019
  3. Cannot Assign Applicaitons to File Extentions

I am unable to assign VISIO to any VISIO extensions in Windows 10. I can open VISIO files from within VISIO, but when I click on a VISIO file it either opens in Explorer or does not open at all.

Note: VISIO is part of my Office 365 subscription.

Assigning file extentions 06907048-2a12-4b63-8427-750474967333?upload=true.png

RichardMichna, Jan 27, 2019
  4. Assigning file extentions

Cannot Assign Applicaitons to File Extentions

Unfortunately, not seeing your screenshot. Maybe you could upload to Imgur.

Right click a known Visio file.

Click Properties

Click the General tab

Click Change

Scroll through the list, then choose Visio 2016

Click OK

Click Apply then OK

See if then changes.

Can you then open Visio files?

Andre Da Costa, Jan 27, 2019
Thema:

Assigning file extentions

1. Assigning file extentions - Similar Threads - Assigning file extentions

2. A malware program has encrypted my files into an extention named VDUGWODY and I was...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    A malware program has encrypted my files into an extention named VDUGWODY and I was...: I do not know where I picked this up, but some malware program has left a large portion of my laptop encrypted. I will paste the message it has left behind in a txt document. VDUGWODY-MANUAL.txt ---= GANDCRAB V5.2 =--- ***********************UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES...
  3. Opening multiple files with the same extention

Opening multiple files with the same extention: I feel stupid even asking, but I used to be able to open many files with the same extension (in this case .xlsx) by selecting them all in File Explorer and hitting enter. Now it doesn't work. In Windows 10 how do you open multiple files, with the same extension, at the same...
  4. Different Extention.

Different Extention.: When i'm trying to download an image its been saved as text document type. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/different-extention/7c87b7c9-c732-4d27-abe2-1b6a47c974bb"
  5. Assigning file extentions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Assigning file extentions: My default program for the .wmv extension is DivXplus Player. I want to change it to VLC Media Player. On Windows 8.1 it was real easy to do that. It gave you a list of extensions and you could assign any executable to it. On Windows 10 I never could figure out how to do...
  6. Finding and deleting all files with an extentions *.mbf

Finding and deleting all files with an extentions *.mbf: I want to delete all files in computer with the extension *.mbf using PowerShell or CMD https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/finding-and-deleting-all-files-with-an-extentions/4e998ec7-585c-4145-8eb8-969f140b7da5"
  7. ALL FILE NAMES EXTENTION ON MY LAPTOP CHANGED TO .OWACFM

ALL FILE NAMES EXTENTION ON MY LAPTOP CHANGED TO .OWACFM: I need a solution to this problem scanning for virus is not helping all the files have this extention eg:- bedroom.dwg.owacfm https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/all-file-names-extention-on-my-laptop-changed-to/6db6dd31-f23a-4487-a399-69f6454f71e2"
  8. * Added to File Extention

* Added to File Extention: Good evening, I recently took files from my Tablet and transferred them to my Thumb Drive. I plugged the drive into my PC and for each file, the file name now reads... examplefilename.jpg.* or Examplemoviename.mp4.* And neither of the two will open. Has this...
  9. File associations of a file not being assigned to windows 10 settings

File associations of a file not being assigned to windows 10 settings: First please see my efforts: UP4rSTo1_IM https://i.gyazo.com/deaaf6526789b292...0e0d29230a.gif Basically when I create a file extension of a file the system does not recognise, the above shown in the two videos / gif does not work. It does not store in the system. I have...
  10. What is the extent of OneDrive capabilities?

What is the extent of OneDrive capabilities?: Would like to dig and get some information from us users. My thought is.... OneDrive and the extent of users capabilities, can I acces it as a Remote Desktop from my phone if the ar both active and connected to a online Internet? Can I pretty much use them as 2 different...