Windows 10: Assigning file extentions

Discus and support Assigning file extentions in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; My default program for the .wmv extension is DivXplus Player. I want to change it to VLC Media Player. On Windows 8.1 it was real easy to do that.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by doncole, Jan 27, 2019.

1. doncole Win User

Assigning file extentions

My default program for the .wmv extension is DivXplus Player.

I want to change it to VLC Media Player.

On Windows 8.1 it was real easy to do that.

It gave you a list of extensions and you could assign any executable to it.

On Windows 10 I never could figure out how to do that.

Don Cole

:)

doncole, Jan 27, 2019

2. Cannot Assign Applicaitons to File Extentions

No. VISIO is not an option. I have 2 options:

• Open the file in Microsoft Explorer
    • Search the App Store for an application
    For some reason VISIO is also not showing up in my list of installed apps. My computer was having performance issues, so I reset the computer over the weekend.

RichardMichna, Jan 27, 2019
  3. Cannot Assign Applicaitons to File Extentions

I am unable to assign VISIO to any VISIO extensions in Windows 10. I can open VISIO files from within VISIO, but when I click on a VISIO file it either opens in Explorer or does not open at all.

Note: VISIO is part of my Office 365 subscription.

Assigning file extentions 06907048-2a12-4b63-8427-750474967333?upload=true.png

RichardMichna, Jan 27, 2019
  4. Assigning file extentions

Cannot Assign Applicaitons to File Extentions

Unfortunately, not seeing your screenshot. Maybe you could upload to Imgur.

Right click a known Visio file.

Click Properties

Click the General tab

Click Change

Scroll through the list, then choose Visio 2016

Click OK

Click Apply then OK

See if then changes.

Can you then open Visio files?

Andre Da Costa, Jan 27, 2019
Thema:

Assigning file extentions

1. Assigning file extentions - Similar Threads - Assigning file extentions

2. removing file extentions with special characters

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    removing file extentions with special characters: I have downloaded data but the files have additional extensions with special characters. I need to remove this but rename does not work as it doesn't recognise the special characters.the files names are as follow...
  3. file extention

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    file extention: my embroidery files now show as a NSG.DocumentHow do I correct and keep them from changing https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-extention/69c776f0-427a-49ab-af7a-6033ff161fcd
  4. FILES ENCRYPTED WITH .ENFP EXTENTION

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    FILES ENCRYPTED WITH .ENFP EXTENTION: Split from this thread. I HAVE SAME ISSUE REGARDING FILE DECRYPTION, MY ALL FILES ENCRYPTED WITH .ENFP EXTENTION.....WHEN I TRY TO DECRYPT IT WITH STOP DJVU EMISSOFT DECRYPTER TOOL; IT FAILED AND SHOWS THAT IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO DECRYPT THESE FILES BECAUSE IT IS AN ONLINE ID...
  5. Newly saved files not including file extention

Newly saved files not including file extention: Hello, When I download a new file the file is not downloading the file type as part of the new file name. For instance when I download my newest bank statement the is downloading as 'StatementDecember' rather than 'StatementDecember.pdf'. This is happening when...
  6. conflict of file extentions

conflict of file extentions: I have constantly run into a conflict between VLC and thinkorswim over the file extension of ".ts" As far as I can see there is no way to remove the association from either program, Thinkorswim does not show up in the associations and VLC does but there is no option to...
  7. Files infected with .moba Extention

Files infected with .moba Extention: Split from this thread. recently my all files infected with .moba Extention. is there any way to recover them ??? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/files-infected-with-moba-extention/2e318daf-a40c-4776-814f-4ce8549b415e
  8. How to remove .karl extention files, save that file which have .karl extention and solve...

How to remove .karl extention files, save that file which have .karl extention and solve...: a few days ago, this netbook make strange behavior, all have .karl extention like pdf, doc, winzip, winrar, .exe, txt, and I was unable to use browser. then this netbook already reinstall but in drive d still there are files in .karl extention, I tried to change some of them...
  9. Assigning file extentions

in Windows 10 Support
    Assigning file extentions: My default program for the .wmv extension is DivXplus Player. I want to change it to VLC Media Player. On Windows 8.1 it was real easy to do that. It gave you a list of extensions and you could assign any executable to it. On Windows 10 I never could figure out how to do...
  10. * Added to File Extention

* Added to File Extention: Good evening, I recently took files from my Tablet and transferred them to my Thumb Drive. I plugged the drive into my PC and for each file, the file name now reads... examplefilename.jpg.* or Examplemoviename.mp4.* And neither of the two will open. Has this...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. powershell assign extension