Windows 10: Assistance With a Couple Recent BSODs Since Upgrading

Discus and support Assistance With a Couple Recent BSODs Since Upgrading in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I've gotten a couple of crashes in the week or two that I've been running win10. The first was a typical looking one, but the 2nd was a new-look... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Brucex64, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Brucex64 Win User

Assistance With a Couple Recent BSODs Since Upgrading

I've gotten a couple of crashes in the week or two that I've been running win10. The first was a typical looking one, but the 2nd was a new-look windows 10 style and it said "critical process died". Very descriptive, huh.

So I ran the V2 collector to gather some of the dump info & attached it here which hopefully will be a good starting point.

When I upgraded my system from win 7, I did it as a clean install so everything got blown out. I have re-installed some applications but my system is far leaner than it was before. I should mention that I was having some BSODs under windows 7 which never really got a definitive solution to...the only possibility was to replace the RAM which I didn't do. But, as part of the extensive diagnosis that went on at the end when my system would not upgrade a couple weeks ago, I ran Memtest 5.01 for 10 passes and there were no memory errors.

I am running window 10 version 1909 build 18363.592

:)

Brucex64, Jan 28, 2020

2. Windows 10 upgrade assistant stuck at 99%

The problem is caused by the Windows 7 updates.

Before using the Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant, perform these steps:

• set Windows 7 updates to "Never install updates".
    • Stop the update service by right clicking on the command prompt, and choose "Run as administrator".
    • Type

It should say: "Windows update service is stopping....windows update service is stopped."

Assistance With a Couple Recent BSODs Since Upgrading 852Gr.png

After completing the above steps, start the Windows 10 Upgrade assistant, and it should complete.

Anthony Cappucci, Jan 28, 2020
  3. Shoaib Win User
    Windows 10 upgrade assistant stuck at 99%

Here is what I've learnt about upgrading to Windows 10, in the past few days.

Media Creation Tool

The good thing is that the upgrade completes smoothly once the download has completed.

The bad thing is that it doesn't resume interrupted downloads. The download is over 3GB which is almost 3x the amount downloaded by UpgradeAssistant.

Common Problems

Once interrupted (esp. crashed or rebooted) you won't be able to launch the tool again without manually deleting the $Windows.BT and $Windows.~WS folders first. However, in order to delete these folders you'll need to use Process Explorer (from sysinternals) and forcefully close all open handles to files in these folders. Search for "$Windows." and close every handle that you find.

In my case, after each interruption (I had four) it would add 3.02GB to the download - basically start downloading +1 BITSXYZ.tmp files. With 5 downloads of over 15GB I had to say goodbye to this method as nothing I did could reset the tool to its initial state.

Don't use this method unless you have a reliable power-source and good internet.

Upgrade Assistant App

Very good at resuming broken downloads and it downloads only what is needed for your system therefore a much faster method. The downside is that the upgrade isn't a smooth process.

Common Problems

Upgrade will get stuck at 99% and there doesn't seem to be a single solution that works for everyone. First, its better to resolve missing driver issues before upgrading (as suggested by other answers). Here is what I did to get past 99%.

1. Let it run for sufficiently long time say 3 hours.
    2. Set startup type for the windows service: "Windows Update" to "manual" for the duration of the upgrade, this will prevent it restarting itself when you perform the next step.
    3. Stop the windows service: "Windows Update" and wait a couple of minutes
    4. If this doesn't help start the service again.
    5. Use process-explorer to kill SetupHost.exe that is a child of WindowsUpgradeAssistantApp.exe.
    6. Wait for the assistant to report "Something went wrong," and use the "Try Again" option. This should repeat the usual download, verify and install cycle except that at about 45% a blue interface will popup.

The new popup UI will start in "Getting Updates," phase and believe it or not there are far more reported incidents of that getting stuck. To resolve it:

1. Stop "Windows Update" service
    2. Clear all contents of "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution"
    3. Start the service again (if needed).

This should hopefully unblock the tool, but it will come back to the "Getting Updates" state again. Give it some time and if it gets stuck again, follow Step 1 and 3-4.

Once past this point the "real upgrade" would begin and hopefully that would be a smooth process.

Shoaib, Jan 28, 2020
  4. alexsubri Win User

BSOD- atikmpag.sys

This is most likely due to an installation/upgrade error with ATI driver's. I suggest doing DriveSweeper and the following:
    • Drivesweeper all drivers & in Safe Mode
    • Unistall all drivers that aren't used in DriveSweeper (CCC Profiler Updates, MSI AfterBurner, anything related to ATI that use's it's drivers.)
    • After you do this, the first thing you need to do is go into Device Manager and Unistall your ATI Drivers
    Assistance With a Couple Recent BSODs Since Upgrading [​IMG]

Once your done, restart the PC and then try installing the latest drivers.

I had several issues with this in the past, but I overcame it with logical reasoning and whenever I have a driver issue, I just use these steps and I always overcome the problem.

Best of luck! *Toast :toast:

alexsubri, Jan 28, 2020
Thema:

1. Assistance With a Couple Recent BSODs Since Upgrading - Similar Threads - Assistance Couple Recent

2. Unable to use Quick Assist since latest Windows 11 upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to use Quick Assist since latest Windows 11 upgrade: I have been recommended by 365 Tech Support to inquire why I'm unable to get past a "white screen" when attempting to download the lastest Quck Assist app which is a necesssity in order to allow for connection to 365 Tech Support...
  3. Unable to use Quick Assist since latest Windows 11 upgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to use Quick Assist since latest Windows 11 upgrade: I have been recommended by 365 Tech Support to inquire why I'm unable to get past a "white screen" when attempting to download the lastest Quck Assist app which is a necesssity in order to allow for connection to 365 Tech Support...
  4. missing iaStorAfsServiceApi.dll since recent upgrade

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    missing iaStorAfsServiceApi.dll since recent upgrade: why does this keep on appearing [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/missing-iastorafsserviceapidll-since-recent/241c5493-b505-42c0-af21-da2eac96ab02
  5. Problems since last couple of updates

in Windows 10 Support
    Problems since last couple of updates: Some time after the last Windows update (maybe 2) I have a few issues. 1. I no longer can get icons in my pictures folder only the Microsoft Photo icon. I have tried all the suggested fixes, but nothing works. 2. My earplug jack isn't working properly. I plug in my earbud...
  6. BSOD since hardware upgrade

BSOD since hardware upgrade: I upgraded my cpu about two months ago and since then I have been running into constant blue screen of death errors. The most common errors I encounter are Machine check exception, though I do get irql_not_less_or_equal and dpc watchdog violation as well. I'm not an expert...
  7. Windows not shutting down since the recent upgrade

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows not shutting down since the recent upgrade: Windows 10 not shutting down properly since the recent upgrade. It starts shutting down, it displays 'shutting down' then screen goes black, power light stays on and it doesn't shut down....
  8. BSODs Since PC Upgrade

BSODs Since PC Upgrade: Hi everyone, a few months ago I upgraded my computer (new ram, cpu, motherboard), and since then I have been experiencing multiple BSODs. They don't occur often, but maybe around a few times a month. They occur mostly while I'm gaming, but have sometimes occurred when I'm...
  9. BSOD after recent Anniversary upgrade

BSOD after recent Anniversary upgrade: Hi, I'm having issues with my windows machine crashing and rebooting (mostly after being put to sleep). Any help will be very appreciated! 59652
  10. Sluggish laptop since a couple of days

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Sluggish laptop since a couple of days: In a matter of weeks, both my laptops have become slow. First, my Z20t that became completely unworkable and had to reinstall it. And now my X220T is experiencing similar problems. Not as bad as the Z20t (I'm sure it helps that it has an i5 instead of an m5 CPU), but I can...