Windows 10: Assitance needed: Surface Pro color profile switcher hangs explorer.exe after sleep

Discus and support Assitance needed: Surface Pro color profile switcher hangs explorer.exe after sleep in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I'm having this issue after updating Windows to 1803 (although I've since updated to 1809), where the main explorer.exe process hangs without the usual... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by CodySlay, Jan 24, 2019.

1. CodySlay Win User

Assitance needed: Surface Pro color profile switcher hangs explorer.exe after sleep

I'm having this issue after updating Windows to 1803 (although I've since updated to 1809), where the main explorer.exe process hangs without the usual "End Task" prompt. It happens randomly at times but most often it happens after resuming from sleep or hibernation (like 80% chance). The process hang behaves like a partial freeze of the system's UI: taskbar, action center and some keyboard shortcuts stop functioning properly or at all, although some things remain functional like interacting with desktop items and starting Task Manager from kb shortcut to restart explorer.

Firstly I've tried many settings one by one to try to find the cause:
    1) Turning off activity sync (as some forums suggested)

2) Moving the desktop location out of OneDrive

3) Turning off "run folders in separated processes"

None had any effect.

In the end I've tried the last option that remained relevant and it worked, the hang issue disappeared after removing the Color Profile switch from the Action Center. The hang never came to be again!

Problem is this is not a solution but more of a workaround as I was using that switch quite often.

So there is why I'm posting here, in the looks for a permanent working solution.

What I haven't tried yet is re-enabling the Color Profile, and try to fix the hang by either terminating the "Surface Color Profile Tracker" process or restarting the service one. My guess for now is that some race condition is created from one of those two, but it is strange that explorer can't figure out its broken state. I will update the post if I manage to nail it to one of the two suspects

:)

CodySlay, Jan 24, 2019
  2. CodySlay Win User

Assitance needed: Surface Pro color profile switcher hangs explorer.exe after sleep

I'm having this issue after updating Windows to 1803 (although I've since updated to 1809), where the main explorer.exe process
    hangs without the usual "End Task" prompt. It happens randomly at times but most often it happens after resuming from sleep or hibernation (like 80% chance). The process hang behaves like a partial freeze of the system's UI: taskbar, action center and
    some keyboard shortcuts stop functioning properly or at all, although some things remain functional like interacting with desktop items and starting Task Manager from kb shortcut to restart explorer.

Firstly I've tried many settings one by one to try to find the cause:

1) Turning off activity sync (as some forums suggested)

2) Moving the desktop location out of OneDrive

3) Turning off "run folders in separated processes"

None had any effect.

In the end I've tried the last option that remained relevant and it worked, the hang issue disappeared after removing the Color Profile switch from the Action Center. The hang never came to be again!

Problem is this is not a solution but more of a workaround as I was using that switch quite often.

So there is why I'm posting here, in the looks for a permanent working solution.

What I haven't tried yet is re-enabling the Color Profile, and try to fix the hang by either terminating the "Surface Color Profile Tracker" process or restarting the service one. My guess for now is that some race condition is created from one of those two,
    but it is strange that explorer can't figure out its broken state. I will update the post if I manage to nail it to one of the two suspects

Edit 28/01 : In the end i did the Windows reset. I will update later on if explorer hangs again or not.

CodySlay, Dec 16, 2019
  3. CodySlay Win User

After a long tumble in darkness I decided to give Windows a refresh after the 1809 update. The re as on being that explorer still kept freezing even after removing the Color Profile button from Action Center as stated in the main post, so I was left clueless.
    I will continue to evaluate the stability after the refresh.

CodySlay, Dec 16, 2019
  4. Peer_Sam Win User

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community Forums.

There are several reasons that could trigger this issue, like the outdated graphics drivers, memory corruption, disk errors etc.

I would suggest to update the graphics driver and see if it works.

Update drivers in Windows 10

I would also recommend to check if there is any update available for BIOS.

On Surface devices, the firmware is exposed to the operating system as a driver and is visible in Device Manager. This allows a Surface device firmware to be automatically updated along with all drivers through Windows Update.
    This mechanism provides a seamless, automatic experience to receive the latest firmware and driver updates. However, I would suggest to check manually for updates and see if there are any updates available for firmware.

Select Start and then go to Settings > Update
    & Security
    > Windows Update, and select Check for updates.

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Peer Samie

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Peer_Sam, Dec 16, 2019
Thema:

1. Assitance needed: Surface Pro color profile switcher hangs explorer.exe after sleep - Similar Threads - Assitance needed Surface

2. Surface Pro does not sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Surface Pro does not sleep: I have set my surface pro to sleep after 2 hrs when plugged in but it never sleeps. No errors or anything, but i have to always manually rurn it off which sucks if i fall asleep while watching a movie....
  3. Surface Pro won't reconnect to Internet after sleep.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Surface Pro won't reconnect to Internet after sleep.: Windows 10 machine won't reconnect to Internet after sleep. I must restart or shutdown completely instead of sleep mode. Network adapters reset. Didn't help....
  4. Surface Pro won't print in color

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Surface Pro won't print in color: My surface Pro won't print in color. The printer prints fine from other devices so I know it is not the problem. This just started randomly about a week ago, it previously worked fine....
  5. Surface Pro not printing in color

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Surface Pro not printing in color: I have a Microsoft Surface Pro which is not printing in color on my HP Deskjet printer. I have completely uninstalled the printer on the device manager and reinstalled it with no success, as well as updating Windows 10. I know that it is not an issue with the printer as I can...
  6. Color Profile for YUV Output Needed

in Windows 10 Customization
    Color Profile for YUV Output Needed: I'm working through a video router that requires my TinyPC units to send YUV instead of RGB. I know I need a new color profile but I can't seem to find one that will send YUV. Does anyone have an idea of how to solve my problem?...
  7. ICC color profile not sticking after reboot/sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    ICC color profile not sticking after reboot/sleep: I can't get my ICC profile to stick on my thinkpad A485 after reboot or sleep. I have tried the task-scheduler solution, game-bar disable, selection all the necessary options in color management profile and still nothing. I have all the latest drivers with my display drivers....
  8. Windows 10 on Surface Pro 3 and Miix700 keeps losing ICC color profile after calibration

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 on Surface Pro 3 and Miix700 keeps losing ICC color profile after calibration: As many other users, I am also experiencing a reset of the color profile after my screen has been calibrated. Either randomly (or sometimes upon rotation of the device) the color profile resets. Latest Windows Updates and Drivers are installed on both - same symptom. This...
  9. Surface Pro 6 Crashes after Sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    Surface Pro 6 Crashes after Sleep: Every time i turn on my surface pro 6 after it went to hibernate, all apps are closes\d as if it i am turning it on from being turned off. opening chrome i get a message it did not shut down properly. it is as if the machine crashes some point after i put in hibernate. any...
  10. Need assit in backing up user profile without win access

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Need assit in backing up user profile without win access: I've experienced a critical error in Windows that is going to require repairs and I would like to avoid losing or potentially losing as many settings, files and programs as possible. I assume the best way to do this is to back up my User Profile and any setup software I have...
Tags: